Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIn 2017 I went to see the Durant Warriors play the Wizards
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2762862&mesg_id=2763451
2763451, In 2017 I went to see the Durant Warriors play the Wizards
Posted by Tiger Woods, Fri Apr-22-22 09:10 AM
I go to 3-5 Wizards games a year, in good seats (not to humblebrag)

I can tell you that I think it was a Tuesday night in February. That isn’t usually some prime period for high level competition. But on that night I witnessed the Warriors in person up close and it was like Moses seeing the Burning Bush

If you ever see Durant UP CLOSE it’s actually confusing to the eye. He’s 7 foot with no meat on his bones handling like AI and splashing like Ray Allen. It’s hard to compute.

At one point during a TV timeout, Steph chucked one up from just behind half court near the scorer’s table and swished. The crowd exploded, albeit for a shot that didn’t count and wasn’t even televised. We just couldn’t believe the magic.

But tucked inside all of this basketball surrealism was Draymond Green. Again, I’ve been to many NBA games and seen everyone when they come through DC - Kobe, Duncan, AI, MJ when he was here obviously, Durant… In all my time I’d never seen one player play such ferocious defense during a meaningless regular season game. I am not exaggerating - from the opening tip Draymond was checking guys like it was Game 7 of the Finals. Handfighting under the rim. Constantly , forcefully, adjusting his position for a rebound. It reminded me of Rodman.

Watching the Warriors that night was like watching The Allman Brothers or Outkast in their primes, a seemingly bizarre collection of vastly different personalities and skills that nonetheless was wildly effective.

Of every superhuman thing Durant did , as effortless as Klay seemed, as breathtaking as Steph’s shot making was, the guy I came away from most impressed by was Draymond Green. Think about it - surrounded by these alpha talents, he was affecting the game most consistently of any of his teammates. Not on athleticism…on attitude and effort. That spirit is why you can never rule this team out if everyone is healthy. They’re elite at shooting , but don’t get it twisted they will rip your fucking heart out if given the opportunity.

I love Draymond Green man. Love him.