Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOkay, I'll be that guy: I didn't love the MJF promo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2759738&mesg_id=2766672
2766672, Okay, I'll be that guy: I didn't love the MJF promo
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Jun-03-22 04:03 AM
At least not a lot of the content and ideas behind it.

First of all, I generally HATE worked shoots. And I don't think one was needed here. The Pipe Bomb promo worked because Punk was echoing what a lot of fans thought: WWE was ignoring its audience. That's one thing that AEW has never been accused of,

To echo Meltzer, AEW is playing with fire . They're coming off what they're saying is, again, their most successful PPV. And 24 hours later, they're making TK and the company the heels? I don't know if potentially setting up a dynamic where the audience hates the idea of bringing in ex-WWE talent, when generally they've been doing a good job at booking most of them. Right now things aren't perfect, but the roster is a good balance of "home-grown" talent and people the WWE was misusing or given up on. Conditioning them to reject these new signees seems counterintuitive and really is booking for the social media reactions, as much as I hate to say it.

Not to mention that the promo pretty much erased what Wardlow did the night before. He destroyed MJF, sending him off in a stretcher and neck-brace, and now he's back the next night, vaguely mentioning being "hurt," but mostly acting like nothing happened.

Seems like the next step is setting up a Punk/MJF rematch at All Out, where like Punk goes heel nad MJF turns face. Which is fine, but undermining their own success on the way to getting there is a... weird choice.