Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYeah, DoN ran too long. But there was stuff that I liked a lot
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2759738&mesg_id=2766453
2766453, Yeah, DoN ran too long. But there was stuff that I liked a lot
Posted by mrhood75, Tue May-31-22 10:47 AM
Note: I didn't watch it until last night, since I was out of town for the weekend.

Anyway, I think the easiest way to trim down the run time would have been to not have the Owen Hart Tournament finals on the PPV. Neither match was that great: don't know why they put Cole over Joe, and the insistence on keeping Britt so strong has been weird, especially as she hasn't been very good since she lost the title. Furthermore, the Marth Hart presentation/speech went waaaay too long and ground the show to a halt. I'd also like to add that every single Sharpshooter performed by anyone that night sucked.

I liked the O'Reily and Allin match quite a bit, but it didn't need to be on the PPV. O'Reily looked really good, especially carrying things after Darby knocked himself silly. But I'm also not sure why KOR went over, considering they've most had him as a tag team guy. If they're planning on putting him in the TNT Title picture or want to make him Punk's first televised challenger, then sure. But if none of that is coming, there was no "point" to the match.

Jade is the champ and increasingly over with the crowd, but that match was also unecessary. Besides, the ring work itself was the shits. It served its purpose in that it introduced Stokely and Athena, but that probably could have just booked the same match on Wednesday's LA show and it would have been fine.

I love the BCC, and find the JAS entertaining (Jericho's proclaiming "I'm a wizard!" always cracks me up). That said, the match was probably a bit too much of a clusterfuck. Too much going on at the same. The cameras could even keep up with the spots and kept missing the key ones. But I'll grant you that there were some great spots. I'm the one who liked the Darby/Sting/Sammy vs. Andrade/Matt/Isiah at Revolution, and I think this one might have been more... easy to follow (I guess?) if they'd limited it to six total people. Keeping it Moxley/Danielson/Kingston vs. Jericho/Hager/Garcia would have helped things.

I won't front: the mixed tag match worked for me. Well, Paige Van Zandt kinda stunk, but I thought the storyline of the match itself worked. Sammy/Tay being completely insufferable, while an exasperated Kazarian eventually just gets fed up trying to deal with them, made for solid entertainment. At least the angle is over. And Dan Lambert can hopefully go away.

Bucks vs/ Hardys also ended up working, even though the Bucks had to carry just about everything. Jeff looks **really** done out there, and now that they've gotten this match out of the way, they need to keep him from wrestling.

Everything else I liked a lot. In an ideal world, they would have switched up the match order, but real life circumstances intervened. I get they had to start things off with MJF/Wardlow after Saturday's shennanigans, but it would have been a satisfying palette cleanser after Anarchy and before the title match. It was the best built-up match on the card, and it was kind of a shame that they needed to open things with it. Like, it would be REALLY effective to have it be that Wardlow had to spend the entire night in the holding cell before FINALLY getting to get his hands on MJF. That being said, keeping MJF in isolation in a room with Pat Buck for almost four hours would have been hard to pull off. The match itself was everything it needed to be, even if there wasn't much of a "match."

The tag title match probably should have opened things. I agree that I wouldn't have minded a title change, as I found myself really rooting for Swerve and Keith Lee to win, but I also recognize that both of the opposing tag teams were made up of singles wrestlers, and the tag division is so strong that they don't really need Swerve/Lee or Starks/Hobbs holding the title.

Death Triangle vs. HoB was non-stop action, and they finally went somewhere with Julia Hart (though I'm past caring about her). The Acclaimed/Gunn Club interlude was thoroughly enjoyable. It's a shame that Bowens is hurt, because this angle is killing it.

And the title match was really good. Again, it would have been easy to turn one heel (I half-expected Punk to waffle Page with the belt after Hangman decided not use it), but as a story the match hit the right notes. And they were going to have to put the title on Punk eventually.

So, that's my thoughts. The evening was bloated and mess, but I still give it a thumbs up.