Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectthe crowd and Serena
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2759738&mesg_id=2765709
2765709, the crowd and Serena
Posted by jimaveli, Thu May-19-22 12:36 PM
The area I was in had a weird seating issue. It was basically benches just behind and above the floor seats but below the stands. And the venue's security very comfortably directed a shitload of people to sit in the wrong as hell seats. The seats were benches..about 4 long ass rows, but they were numbered weird (the bottom row was row 2 for instance).

And there were legitimately some seats blocked off that were supposed to be available. So lots of people who showed up right before Dynamite started and got screwed. I'm talking about having to stand up and wait for some big cheese mfer from the venue to come find them some seats (the place looked about 90% full and lots of people ended up with great apology seats..I damn near wanted to follow them once I saw where they got put). Add in the normal issue of people trying to do seat shenanigans. AKA some people were dead seriously sitting in seats that weren't anywhere near their seat. But the event folks did NOT handle it properly.

Luckily, I walked in 20 minutes before Dark (aka early AF) so I was good even though they sat me on the wrong row 3x instead of making the jackasses who were in MY seat move. I was in the right section. Right seat number too, but I was 1 row up (IE: row 3 instead of row 2). Silly stuff really but I lived cuz getting there early saved my azz.

Anyway, Serena came out and it seems like more of the bad human being crew on hand (especially the ones who had been a part of seat-gate 2022) decided to give her the biz as soon as she came out. IE: they were saying stuff about her thin frame. And they were gross about it. And I think she heard it cuz the place wasn't huge and she didn't get a big pop when she came out. AND her mic turned on late so it was oddly quiet. Serena was kinda shook after that to me. She's not a wonderful talker anyway and the segment wasn't exactly brilliant (too long, too convoluted, too much Tony like you said). But I gave her a pass based on some of the stuff I heard dudes saying loud and clear to/at her. After that, I recovered by being lazer focused on seeing how fine Thunder Rosa was when she came out.

Some of those same jerks said something wild about Regal. Eddie Kingston heard it, located them, and gave a them a death stare that we all saw, felt, agreed with and loved.

Other things:

Eddie Kingston is wonderful. I mean really really wonderful. Just his whole in-fighting deal with Bryan was top shelf work. And he was the absolute best with the general purpose 'wrestler face-making'. I wanted to see him punch someone almost immediately.

In general, I have to say this again: the obviously seasoned folks got their shine on in that cozy environment. There was some more indy folks on the roster who were struggling with landing strikes clean. And/or you could kinda tell they were going from move to move and you could almost see them thinking about it as they did it. But the PROS!? WOW..the professionals were excellent. Kyle folks. KYLE! I keep going back to it cuz him and Fenix was the match of the night in a walk. It was PHYSICAL and I'm also accusing KOR 'framing' all of Fenix's stuff perfectly. No/low shenanigans. And dudes were crisp and clean pretty much all the way through. It was physically impressive and good forreal. KOR's chest and collarbone was RED like 4 minutes in. He looked gave off the impression of FATIGUE better than anyone the whole night. And Fenix sold like an adult too so he was a willing dance partner. And the nerdy good wrestler nuance stuff was super noticeable live from both of them. It ALMOST made up for me getting absolutely no FTR in-person. ALMOST! I could've taken a little more Jay Lethal too. And that dude with Lethal? That big dude!? Lawd..he was BIG.

I'll tell you this too: even though I was sitting opposite of where the hard cam was (that's what I get for buying tickets last minute), I didn't regularly succeed at being able to hear or even really see people talking to one another mid-match. So it is clear someone is working with people and trying to improve things.

>i didnt need Jurassic Express hokeying up what had been a
>good piece of TV, and the Bucks/Hardys stuff is the kind of
>thing that i wouldnt want a stranger to see me watching but
>otherwise i enjoyed it.
>
>Serena Deeb's interview kinda hurt my feelings. i dont like
>to think of her as so insecure that she cares what Schiavone
>says. if she had called Dustin out right away that all would
>have gone down a lot smoother
>
>Joe vs Morrison was extremely enjoyable and if Morrison is
>gonna stick around, thats a TNT champion to restore some
>stability and importance to the title. hes got "im important"
>oozing out of his pores, and his 450 that missed actually made
>it seem more real bc the announcers called it like a risky
>thing that went the way risky things go sometimes.
>
>Page match was good. "too good" in the way that the champs
>matches shouldnt be good, but taken on its own it was well
>executed. Takeshita has something.
>
>Jericho went IN verbally, but the letdown of a 10 man hardcore
>match was real. instant deflation, and i continue to lament
>the presence of 2point0 and Danielson in this nonsense.