Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Wardlow might be that dude for AEW
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2759738&mesg_id=2760081
2760081, RE: Wardlow might be that dude for AEW
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Mar-10-22 01:21 PM
>a major, ticket-selling star that permanently takes them out
>of college basketball arena equivalents and into NBA arena
>equivalents
>
>the patience and restraint done here compared to just about
>everything else is hilarious. crazy what just winning matches
>over and over can do!
>
>and then...this dude is LIKABLE! they kept a microphone out
>of his hand for 2.5 years until it was time for the babyface
>promo of the year. incredible.

It was so good.

Sometimes wrestling works because the people in roles are awesome moreso than any kind of amazingly planning and/or booking. Here, it felt like both. Now, I want Wardlow to be a champ of some kind within the next year.

He was great in the ladder match that Corny couldn't bring himself to watch because he hates Orange so much. It was WWE-style ladder match booked but it made sense, the idea of the big dudes being the highlight over the crazy folks who were gonna take bumps was a good call too.

On Orange, I loved the spot where he flipped up did the pull-up to get over the ladder. He had his 'oh shit' face-making game together too. And you know I loved it when Keef Lee threw him for the 'Orange isn't interrupting these 3 big men anymore' spot. Loved it.

Booking kudos for having MJF and Punk steer clear of eating a lot of TV time this week. It gave Wardlow a chance to breath and shine. Also, I love the idea that a big crazy PPV match that had a long build should have physical and mental consequences. More wrestling shows need to do that more often. The whole 'man, after that match..I'm gonna need a couple of weeks be ready to go again' stuff works on me. I don't expect Steamboat Mania 3 speech therapy after every big match but give me something!