Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNBA rookie of the year?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2757573
2757573, NBA rookie of the year?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM

Poll question: NBA rookie of the year?

Poll result (9 votes)
Cade Cunningham (1 votes)Vote
Evan Mobley (6 votes)Vote
Scottie Barnes (1 votes)Vote
Josh Giddy (0 votes)Vote
Franz Wagner (1 votes)Vote
somebody else? post it below... (0 votes)Vote

2757602, Mobley, but it's no longer by a mile. Cade's making it interesting.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Feb-03-22 07:56 PM
Cade did 18/6/6 in December shooting 40% from 3. Then did 17/4/6 in January shooting 37% from 3. The adjustment to the game that anyone who's followed Cade knew was coming has definitely arrived, and the bad start to the year is a distant memory.

That said, Mobley's been good *all* season long. The Cavs were 25th in defense last year... this year they are THIRD. He's a genuine candidate to make an All-Defense team, and he's already one of the most impactful defenders in the NBA, which is crazy for a rookie. And the Cavs being only two games back from first in the East 52 games into the season? That's fucking nuts compared to what was expected heading into the season.

I think the narrative momentum is all, rightly, on Mobley's side, and Mobley's impact on winning is far more visible than Cade's this year. Cade is making it quite interesting, and I think he's pretty clearly a superstar in the making (as I thought in HS and in college), but I think consistency and impact on winning makes Mobley the favorite in my book. But if Cade rips off, like, a 20/6/7 month down the stretch (which is very, very doable)? That's going to be really hard to deny.

2757670, Evan but cot damn i love Scottie Barnes
Posted by tomjohn29, Fri Feb-04-22 02:50 PM