Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectUSMNT qualification post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2756781
2756781, USMNT qualification post
Posted by RandomFact, Thu Jan-27-22 09:45 PM
I guess this deserves its own post since we've learned that WC qualification is not a given anymore. Although so far we're on our way.

I don't know much about these blokes aside from the guys featuring in Europe. They don't play attractive football as a unit and the offense is borderline impotent, but I guess that's just the CONCACAF way.

It's hard to get excited about a team managed by an MLS guy but here we are.
2756817, Dour pragmatism has been the way to win things for a while
Posted by magilla vanilla, Fri Jan-28-22 12:32 PM
in the international game. So the lofty plans of Klinsi and Reyna to get a better technical US have been put to the side, and we've got sour-ass Gregg now willing us, Dechamps-lite style, to ugly 1-0 wins. I get it as a strategy, but damned if I didn't hope for better things from the USMNT as a program by now.
2756838, go USA
Posted by will_5198, Fri Jan-28-22 06:37 PM
maybe because I'm a casual soccer watcher...but qualifying for the WC, beating Mexico whey they play in the US, and being somewhat competitive (if not technical or aesthetically pleasing) is about what I expect for the USMNT.

Sunday will be interesting, because this group seems to play horribly when not at home.
2756855, really, really need pepi, daryl dike and/or george weah son to pan out
Posted by dillinjah, Sat Jan-29-22 12:03 AM
The problem is they're all way too young (more importantly, unseasoned at top flight football) for Qatar, presuming USMNT qualifies.

I don't want to ever see Zardes out there...but at this point in time, I get it.

The lack of a legit striker tho is glaring
2757036, Gregg has decided to bathe in the hate
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jan-31-22 10:00 AM
After losing 2-0 to Canada:

"It was an entire team effort that was dominant,” Berhalter said. “It’s hard for me to remember a performance away from home this dominant that wasn’t getting a result.”

"They couldn’t handle our physicality. We dominated, when you look at everything."
2757058, in possession it was dominant. he should have left it at that
Posted by RandomFact, Mon Jan-31-22 12:43 PM
starting an MLS guy up top should be a fireable offense.

with pulisic still in his tuchel-induced funk the team is really lacking creativity up front.
2757367, GERGG gotta go
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Feb-02-22 02:01 PM
there is too much talent producing at the highest levels of professional play not to be doninating these teams

Keylor Navas can steal games, and so can a front 3 of Lozano-Jimenez-Corona, but beyond that a loss to anyone else in this region should be a national embarrassment.

When these guys are playing for real coaches they are scoring goals in the Premier League, Serie A, Champions League etc. When those same players are getting shut out by a Canadian team...nah son.
2757545, 2 degrees.
Posted by will_5198, Thu Feb-03-22 01:34 PM
US tried to kill off part of the Honduran team for those 3 points last night, but one step closer to the World Cup I guess.

as mentioned, Gregg is embracing the hate -- he was taking pictures with fans on the sideline in the 81st minute of the match.
2757550, berhalter obviously is trash but we are stuck w/ him
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Feb-03-22 01:44 PM
2761346, both teams looked sloppy as hell in Mexico
Posted by will_5198, Thu Mar-24-22 11:19 PM
US still has no forward

some scary passes on defense that were survived, since Mexico didn't have any sort of threatening touch tonight

at least Reyna was back

they'll take the point
2761674, mission accomplished (c) W
Posted by will_5198, Wed Mar-30-22 11:23 PM
won't have to worry about it again until 2030

2761707, hopefully they can all get healthy and build some chemsitry
Posted by RandomFact, Thu Mar-31-22 08:21 PM
on paper the pieces are there for a respectable WC showing.

as long as they're not drawn into the group of death, advancing and putting up a fight in the knockout round should be the goal. not saying they'll win a knockout round game. but not getting embarrassed by the traditional powers would be a W.
2761800, meanwhile Canada dominated WCQ with a bunch of "MLS guys"
Posted by jrocc, Sat Apr-02-22 11:12 AM
about half their roster are current MLS guys and their stars like Davies, Buchanan and Larin started in MLS.

MLS guys out here winning UEFA Champions League and we're still talking this mess.