Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNovak Djokovic gets medical exemption for COVID-19 vaccine mandate
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2754380
2754380, Novak Djokovic gets medical exemption for COVID-19 vaccine mandate
Posted by CHASE SwAyZe, Wed Jan-05-22 11:21 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kick-in-the-guts-australia-rages-at-djokovic-s-unexplained-vaccine-exemption/ar-AASs2DO

The world's No. 1 has arrived in Australia after securing a medical exemption to the tournament’s COVID-19 vaccine mandate. But with no explanation, Australians are furious at what looks like a clear double standard.

Tennis Australia has refused to disclose why Djokovic was granted a medical exemption when many others players weren’t. Speaking on Wednesday, as outrage spread across the nation, the group’s chief executive Craig Tiley appeared to urge the tennis star to tell the public why he was granted an exemption to help cool down the situation.

“Some of you will be upset about the fact that Novak has come in because of his statements of the past couple of years around vaccination,” he said, referring to Djokovic’s repeated anti-vaccine statements. “However, it’s ultimately up to him to discuss with the public his condition if you choose to do that, and the reason why he received an exemption.”
2754422, Reports say he's now being held because of a visa issue
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jan-05-22 04:22 PM
Apparently, his visa does not allow travel for those who aren't vaccinated, even with medical exemptions.

The issue of the exemption is murky. It appears a player can receive an exemption if they recently tested positive for the virus. If that's the case, then the rules are the rules.

But taking active steps to skirt the rules isn't acceptable. If he "just doesn't want to take the vaccine" then he has to face the consequences; even if he is a powerful figure in the sport.
2754433, Yea Australia's PM wants the reciepts
Posted by vik, Wed Jan-05-22 05:13 PM
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/no-special-treatment-djokovic-exemption-australian-officials-say-2022-01-05/
2754501, I'd be surprised if they actually let him in after all this
Posted by Bambino Grande, Thu Jan-06-22 04:29 AM

That would set a terrible precedent
2754549, Novak Djokovic being 'treated like a prisoner' by Australian authorities
Posted by CHASE SwAyZe, Thu Jan-06-22 02:15 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/novak-djokovic-being-treated-like-a-prisoner-by-australian-authorities-according-to-his-mother/ar-AASvlYU

Novak Djokovic is being "treated like a prisoner" by Australian authorities, his mother, Dijana Djokovic, told reporters during a press conference in Belgrade on Thursday.

World No. 1 Djokovic is thought to have been transferred to the Park Hotel in Melbourne after having his visa to enter the country blocked ahead of the Australian Open, according to CNN affiliates Seven Network and Nine News.

The hotel, previously used by the Australian government as a Covid-19 quarantine facility, is now being used as an Alternative Place of Detention (APOD) for refugees and asylum seekers.

His mother said that she had spoken briefly with her son on Thursday, adding that he told her he couldn't sleep.

"I feel terrible since yesterday, the last 24 hours that they are keeping him as a prisoner. It's just not fair. It's not human," said Dijana. She called his current accommodation "terrible," describing it as "just some small immigration hotel."

"It's so dirty and the food is so terrible," she added.

"The authorities don't want to give him any chance to move on to some better hotel or house that he already rented."

His brother, Djordje, described the action of the Australian authorities as a "serious diplomatic breach," recounting how communication was abruptly severed between the player and his family.

"In the first 45 minutes I think, he was communicating to the family & team, and that abruptly stopped," he said during a press conference in Belgrade on Thursday.

"He had no contact whatsoever as his phone had been taken away from him for three and a half hours."

Djokovic was eventually given back his phone and taken into another isolation room, his brother added.

After his visa was revoked, Djokovic was taken through Melbourne Airport's metal detectors and had all his belongings and suitcases taken away from, according to his brother.

"His wallet and change of clothes were taken away from him," said Djordje. "He was taken to the migrant hotel, to a dirty room and was told that all his belongings will be given back to him on his departure to Europe."
2754566, LMAO
Posted by Bambino Grande, Thu Jan-06-22 05:44 PM

"Just some small immigration hotel, its so dirty and the food is terrible" lmao

2754568, “Serious diplomatic breach” like they assassinated a prime minister lol
Posted by guru0509, Thu Jan-06-22 06:42 PM
>
>"Just some small immigration hotel, its so dirty and the food
>is terrible" lmao
>
>
2754604, Djokovic's father compares son to Jesus
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Jan-07-22 11:41 AM
'Jesus was crucified on the cross … but he is still alive among us,' he said. 'They are trying to crucify and belittle Novak and throw him to his knees.'

LOL tf? I mean, I'm all for bodily autonomy and am against the mandates, but it's beyond wild how so many latch onto this identity of being oppressed for refusing the vaccine. Like, where were you when all the genocide, oppression, poverty, and planetary degradation was happening? The only thing that warrants metaphysical protest is because of a vaccine? #NotLikeThis

Father's full statement:

"My son is hostage in Australia tonight but he has never been more free."
From now on, Novak has become the symbol and leader of the free world, the world of countries and poor and oppressed people.
My son Novak Djokovic showed that even a small heroic country like Serbia can have the greatest athlete and tennis player of all time and that the truth can no longer be hidden.
Tonight you can lock it up, tomorrow you can chain it up but the truth is like water and it always finds a way.
Novak is the Spartacus of the new world who does not tolerate injustice, colonialism and hypocrisy but fights for the equality of all on this planet, regardless of skin color, religious belief and money they have.
Novak has proven that you can achieve any goal if you have a dream and his dream is shared by billions of people, including children who look at him as an example.
Maybe the rich world won't let him continue playing tennis, but in doing so, he will reveal his true face and start a much more serious match.
On one hand, there will be greedy and arrogant members of global oligarchy and on the other, a proud and free world that always believes in justice, truth, fair play and the dreams of its children. "
- Srdjan Djokovic
-->
2754606, Had to check to see if this is real.
Posted by Buck, Fri Jan-07-22 12:08 PM
Evidently it is...lol. Spartacus.
2754618, WTF...that sounds like one of the alias accounts on here back in the day
Posted by Cenario, Fri Jan-07-22 02:29 PM
King of the Lions fans? shit i can't remember.
2754649, o shit respect to KOTLF thanks for bringing me back nm
Posted by vik, Sat Jan-08-22 04:41 AM
2754650, Lol I have alot of those posts saved and copied into a word document
Posted by guru0509, Sat Jan-08-22 06:39 AM
>King of the Lions fans? shit i can't remember.

next time i go to my parents house ill dust off that laptop and post them on here...

im pretty sure it was Ernestlee or Ceej...you can come forth and admit it now
2754651, NoVaxJokCovid
Posted by Ceej, Sat Jan-08-22 09:47 AM
That is Federer’s Peloton tag.
2754996, i don't get it.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Tue Jan-11-22 01:41 AM
2755010, Take it up with the goat.
Posted by Ceej, Tue Jan-11-22 08:25 AM
2755075, I am Spartacus!
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Tue Jan-11-22 06:23 PM
2755032, Can’t tell if this is your finest work
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Jan-11-22 12:07 PM
Or if you should be banned for life
2755039, correct
Posted by Ceej, Tue Jan-11-22 01:51 PM
2754909, It's not against the law to be a douchebag
Posted by bentagain, Mon Jan-10-22 03:29 PM
By their rules, his exemption is valid
<Yeezy shrug>
2755344, but lying on your travel declaration forms to enter the country is.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-14-22 08:49 PM
2755346, Wasn't defending him FTR
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jan-14-22 08:57 PM
The reasoning for keeping him out has shifted to 'public interest'

People do realize there are other unvaxxed players in that tourney?

https://tennishead.net/theyre-here-australian-open-chief-reveals-participation-of-unvaccinated/

My point being, the rules should be the same for everyone

Felt like they were making an example of him because of his anti-vaxx stance

If the lie is a violation, cool, but say that
2755350, of course you were
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-14-22 09:09 PM
>If the lie is a violation, cool, but say that

they did say it.
2755351, RE: of course you were
Posted by bentagain, Fri Jan-14-22 09:30 PM
The Australian Border Force (ABF) has not yet determined whether these issues may impact the validity of Djokovic's current Australian visa, the source said.

What was the reason 5 days ago when I posted my reply?
2755104, So he LIED and blamed it on “his team”….
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jan-12-22 02:47 AM
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/tennis/novak-djokovic-covid-statement-intl-hnk/index.html
2755345, so more like the new Judas/Benedict Arnold than Jesus/Spartacus
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Fri Jan-14-22 08:57 PM
2755491, DENIED. Bye, "mate"
Posted by guru0509, Sun Jan-16-22 03:07 PM
I was a fan of this dude (his game, idk anything about him off court) before all this, now I've done a complete 180 on this arrogant piece of shit.

Novak Djokovic has left Australia after losing his final appeal to avoid deportation

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/16/1073462440/novak-djokovic-visa-appeal-australian-open-covid-unvaccinated

>https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/kick-in-the-guts-australia-rages-at-djokovic-s-unexplained-vaccine-exemption/ar-AASs2DO
>
>The world's No. 1 has arrived in Australia after securing a
>medical exemption to the tournament’s COVID-19 vaccine
>mandate. But with no explanation, Australians are furious at
>what looks like a clear double standard.
>
>Tennis Australia has refused to disclose why Djokovic was
>granted a medical exemption when many others players
>weren’t. Speaking on Wednesday, as outrage spread across the
>nation, the group’s chief executive Craig Tiley appeared to
>urge the tennis star to tell the public why he was granted an
>exemption to help cool down the situation.
>
>“Some of you will be upset about the fact that Novak has
>come in because of his statements of the past couple of years
>around vaccination,” he said, referring to Djokovic’s
>repeated anti-vaccine statements. “However, it’s
>ultimately up to him to discuss with the public his condition
>if you choose to do that, and the reason why he received an
>exemption.”
2755531, Hot mess, I'm glad they won't let him compete
Posted by Bambino Grande, Sun Jan-16-22 06:10 PM

2755681, Can't play the French unless he is vaccinated
Posted by josephmurf2384, Mon Jan-17-22 04:44 PM
i would imagine same for US Open since it is in NY
2755682, NY rules only apply to kyrie because he's a resident (or the team is local)
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jan-17-22 05:16 PM
unvaccinated visiting players can still play

that's why he can play in California, for example

so it may not be like that

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2756921, Suck it Novaxx. Nadal 21!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Jan-30-22 09:31 AM
2756933, RE: Suck it Novaxx. Nadal 21!
Posted by go mack, Sun Jan-30-22 01:14 PM
Fantastic match. I recorded and watched this morning as if it were live. Thought Rafa blew his chance a couple times but managed to pull out the victory. Current Goat and may add another French Open title in a few months especially if Joker isn't eligible.