Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2751199
2751199, Bud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Nov-20-21 06:28 PM
Gonna be one helluva fight.

They've been playing "keep away" from Crawford over at the PBC, refusing to "cross the street" to fight him. Porter finally steps up and says he'll challenge since no one else will. All the while, people have ridiculed Crawford for not being able to land an elite fight at welterweight. Sure, he's been a champ in 2 other divisions (undisputed in one), but somehow he's been criticized for his record by some.

Although he won a title in his very first fight at welter by stoppage and stopped every opponent he's faced there since, he sees this as his chance to finally show the naysayers who he is at welterweight.

Porter always comes up short in champpionship fights, except once when he got a very close decision against Danny Garcia. He's been at welterweight his entire career and sees this as do or die. He's put "WAR" on his jacket in homage to the late GREAT Marvin Hagler who did the same prior to his classic fight with Tommy Hearns.

Who's going to seize their opportunity tonight? Who will achieve what they've come to achieve? Will there be an upset? Will Bud be the first to stop Porter?

2751220, Did what ya boy Errol couldn't
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Nov-21-21 02:48 AM
AND STILL!
2751223, Kenny Porter seems like a dickhead
Posted by guru0509, Sun Nov-21-21 07:58 AM
>Gonna be one helluva fight.
>
>They've been playing "keep away" from Crawford over at the
>PBC, refusing to "cross the street" to fight him. Porter
>finally steps up and says he'll challenge since no one else
>will. All the while, people have ridiculed Crawford for not
>being able to land an elite fight at welterweight. Sure, he's
>been a champ in 2 other divisions (undisputed in one), but
>somehow he's been criticized for his record by some.
>
>Although he won a title in his very first fight at welter by
>stoppage and stopped every opponent he's faced there since, he
>sees this as his chance to finally show the naysayers who he
>is at welterweight.
>
>Porter always comes up short in champpionship fights, except
>once when he got a very close decision against Danny Garcia.
>He's been at welterweight his entire career and sees this as
>do or die. He's put "WAR" on his jacket in homage to the late
>GREAT Marvin Hagler who did the same prior to his classic
>fight with Tommy Hearns.
>
>Who's going to seize their opportunity tonight? Who will
>achieve what they've come to achieve? Will there be an upset?
>Will Bud be the first to stop Porter?
>
>
2751229, Definitely didn't have to say what he said about preparation
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Nov-21-21 10:03 AM
in the post-fight interview.
I guess I understand him not wanting to see his son get stopped or badly hurt, but it really sucks for Shawn because he came out there with "WAR" on his robe in homage to the great Marvelous Hagler in his classic war with Tommy Hearns. Then his dad stops the fight at the first sign of real trouble, completely opposite of what Shawn was proclaiming. You could see how crushed he was that his pops threw in the towel too. I felt bad for Shawn. Then essentially said he was punishing him on the world stage for not listening to him in training. I don't think that was cool at all.
2751237, 100% agree
Posted by snacks, Sun Nov-21-21 01:01 PM
There were so many different ways to address that question
2751364, a lot of the shit Adrien Broner was talking
Posted by Kungset, Mon Nov-22-21 07:58 PM
leading up to his match with Porter is ringing true.

> “I’m fighting Shawn Porter, a football player, and I’m fighting his
> dad,” Broner barked. “It’s like I’m fighting his dad ’cause the check
> comes in his dad’s name and then he pays Shawn. He makes Shawn sign
> the check and then he goes and deposits it into a joint account. He’s
> spending Shawn’s money, that’s why he’s got better cars, he’s got the
> big-boy Jeep, you gotta hop out of it to get out of it. He’s got the
> Corvette with the Lamborghini doors. While, Shawn, he’s either catching
> an Uber or he’s hopping out of his 2011 CTS, the little coupe.
> … They’re both getting a check, if I kick both of their asses do I
> get paid twice?”

i've heard other fighters making fun of him cuz he shows up to every single event, even some nightclub type shit, with his dad. but it definitely goes deeper than that. i hope Shawn Porter has control of his money
2751380, The irony there is that Broner wlda benefitted from a father
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Tue Nov-23-21 03:43 AM
like Kenny in his life. Kenny goes too far sometimes (like this time, for example) but I'd definitely take Shawn's use of potential in life over Broner's. We can judge from the outside, but Shawn loves and appreciates his dad, and I honestly think it's a beautiful thing overall even if I personally feel he failed to respect Shawn's manhood here.
2751238, It went about how I thought it would
Posted by snacks, Sun Nov-21-21 01:04 PM
I gave the first two rounds to Porter, mostly off of activity. Although Crawford was tentative, he was never rattled. I scored round 3 10-10; I just couldn't decisively give it to anyone, and I didn't want to pick a fighter just to be picking them

I gave round 4 to Crawford because I felt like he did more solid work to the body, and his counters looked aesthetically better. Round 5 … Porter won off of activity and aggression. Crawford seemed largely unaffected. He's even relished in the contact. This is when I knew it would get bad for Porter down the road

The rest was a sweep to me. Even when Porter seemed like he was landing or was gonna pick up steam, Crawford just seemed in control. It seemed like it was easy to him. He would turn Porter when he was in the corner and needed to, countered on a lot of occasions, and was just the better man

MUCH respect to Porter. Hell of a career and a class act. He's the only WW in this era that can say he fought everyone there is to fight

Apparently this was Crawford's last fight on his current Top Rank contract. He would be a fool to re-sign. All they have for him is Josh Taylor at this point
2751250, He said he's not re-signing at the post-fight presser
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Nov-21-21 01:53 PM
>Apparently this was Crawford's last fight on his current Top
>Rank contract. He would be a fool to re-sign.

Sitting directly next to Bob Arum, he said...
"I'm pretty sure my decision was made already. Bob couldn't secure me the Spence fight while I was with him, so how he gon secure me the Spence fight when I'm not with him? I'm moving forward with my career right now, and I wish everybody the best."
2751262, Good move on his part
Posted by snacks, Sun Nov-21-21 05:10 PM
If he were to sign to PBC, hopefully they can secure him some better fights (besides the obvious). I doubt Thurman or Garcia will fight him, and Pacquiao is done. Ugas has like two mandatories to satisfy
2751270, RE: Good move on his part
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sun Nov-21-21 06:26 PM
>If he were to sign to PBC, hopefully they can secure him some
>better fights (besides the obvious).

I think he's better off staying a free agent and doing deals on a fight by fight basis, since he's really about legacy and fighting for titles wherever they are. PBC guys are heavily encouraged not to cross platforms, which I don't think will suit Bud.

>I doubt Thurman or Garcia
>will fight him, and Pacquiao is done. Ugas has like two
>mandatories to satisfy

Yeah. Garcia is talking about moving to 154, out here saying he feels he's better than everybody at 154 LOL. An active Thurman would give Bud a good fight. Ugas beat Crawford in the amateurs, so that would be some good getback.
2751477, Shawn Porter addresses the stoppage on his podcast (link)
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Nov-24-21 11:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oIy14bPV8g#t=45m40s
2751845, What his dad said in the post-fight makes more sense
Posted by snacks, Sun Nov-28-21 10:10 PM
I still wouldn't have said it *then*, but I guess that's just what comes with Kenny Porter
2751895, Can we talk about that Teofimo Kambosos fight? LMAO
Posted by guru0509, Mon Nov-29-21 12:47 PM
NGL, I was a big Teofimo fan leading up to this, his swagger , demeanor etc but man it was satisfying to watch him and his dad get humbled

Kambosis fought beautifully, that first round put down was a BOMB that had Lopez SCARED

I am not a fan after lopez pulled some adrien broner " I beat that boy" bullshit after the fight...what a classless sucker move

lol his father actually thinks they won 10 rounds

>
>PBC, refusing to "cross the street" to fight him. Porter
>finally steps up and says he'll challenge since no one else
>will. All the while, people have ridiculed Crawford for not
>being able to land an elite fight at welterweight. Sure, he's
>been a champ in 2 other divisions (undisputed in one), but
>somehow he's been criticized for his record by some.
>
>Although he won a title in his very first fight at welter by
>stoppage and stopped every opponent he's faced there since, he
>sees this as his chance to finally show the naysayers who he
>is at welterweight.
>
>Porter always comes up short in champpionship fights, except
>once when he got a very close decision against Danny Garcia.
>He's been at welterweight his entire career and sees this as
>do or die. He's put "WAR" on his jacket in homage to the late
>GREAT Marvin Hagler who did the same prior to his classic
>fight with Tommy Hearns.
>
>Who's going to seize their opportunity tonight? Who will
>achieve what they've come to achieve? Will there be an upset?
>Will Bud be the first to stop Porter?
>
>
2752064, LOL, man that shit was the boxing highlight of my weekend
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Dec-01-21 11:53 AM
>Kambosis fought beautifully, that first round put down was a
>BOMB that had Lopez SCARED

That was such a lovely right hand. Kambosos has improved so much. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. But at the same time, Teofimo fought to terribly. Just looking for a big shot. He was like Wilder out there trying to land and right hand with NO ideas when it didn't bail him out.
I really like Kambosos as a person tho. Seems like a levelheaded young man with his head on straight. Idk how long his title reign will be, but he earned it in the trenches. I also like that he said they've gotta come fight him in Australia now.

>I am not a fan after lopez pulled some adrien broner " I beat
>that boy" bullshit after the fight...what a classless sucker
>move
>
>
>lol his father actually thinks they won 10 rounds
>

His dad out here talking CRAZY, man. Eddie Hearn says Sr inboxed him saying he can't believe he didn't them like that. Like this dude got problems for real. Idk how Radio Rahim kept a straight face interviewing that man.

2752110, Kambosos made me a fan that night
Posted by snacks, Wed Dec-01-21 07:27 PM
I'm not gonna say that Teo needs a new trainer after one fight, but he didn't need someone as delusional as his dad in the corner that night. He wasn't even offering sound advice in between rounds. I hope that this humbled him the way he probably needed to be before he moves up to 140

On another note, unless Kambosos gets weighed down by mandatories, I'm excited to see what fights could be made. Maybe I'm naive, but I think that more red tape is removed with someone like him where promotional differences aren't as big of an issue. I still think Haney is probably the best lightweight tho
2752144, It was probably the worse corner I've ever seen
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Dec-02-21 01:16 PM
Gave him nothing.
"Go knock him out"
"Get that guy outta here"

And that was it. While you're losing round after round with that strategy. They had no game plan outside of that.
And then for his trainer, his dad, to come out and say they won 10 of 12?
FOH
He's needs a new trainer. He said he's sticking with his dad though... like a dummy.
2752285, Did they even have a cut man? Teo was bleeding like a speared boar
Posted by guru0509, Sat Dec-04-21 11:34 AM
>Gave him nothing.
>"Go knock him out"
>"Get that guy outta here"
>
>And that was it. While you're losing round after round with
>that strategy. They had no game plan outside of that.
>And then for his trainer, his dad, to come out and say they
>won 10 of 12?
>FOH
>He's needs a new trainer. He said he's sticking with his dad
>though... like a dummy.
2752286, His cutman WAS one of the best but has gotten really old
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Dec-04-21 11:48 AM
2752753, I meant to say here, they had Joey Gamache for the Loma fight
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Fri Dec-10-21 09:38 AM
Idk if they thought they didn't need him anymore after that, but yeah... that didn't work out too well.

>He's needs a new trainer. He said he's sticking with his dad
>though... like a dummy.
2752008, RE: Bud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Posted by S_Ali, Tue Nov-30-21 02:58 PM
>
>PBC, refusing to "cross the street" to fight him.

No, they have been doing business as usual. Neither promotional company has a history of crossing the street unless it is a significant fight. PBC just happens to have considerably more options at 147.

Crawford is one of my favorite fighters in the sport. However, there is something missing that does not make him appealing to casual boxing fans. On the surface I want to hold Arum and Top Rank responsible but they didn't have the same problems with numerous other elite fighters while in their camp. Why would Haymon want to break bread with Arum, someone that has attempted to sue him several times, for a fighter that rarely even fights on PPV. In fact, his promoter complains he loses money on Crawford during PPV fights. The fight hasn't happened because Crawford has little appeal outside of hard core boxing fans and the people of Omaha, NE.

If Crawford signed with TR to become a star and a champion, that makes sense. If he signed with them thinking he would have opportunities to fight the PBC guys, there is just very little evidence to support that. It is true Crawford was able to do something Spence did not accomplish. But what does it say that Porter is the best fighter he has faced at 147 where he has held a title for 3 years. A guy that has already lost 3x and been involved in numerous close decisions.
2752062, RE: Bud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Dec-01-21 11:47 AM
>>Gonna be one helluva fight.
>>
>>They've been playing "keep away" from Crawford over at the
>>PBC, refusing to "cross the street" to fight him.
>
>No, they have been doing business as usual. Neither
>promotional company has a history of crossing the street
>unless it is a significant fight. PBC just happens to have
>considerably more options at 147.

Wilder fought Fury 3 times. PBC guys claim to be their own bosses. The man sat there on stage at the press conference and said the fight happened BECAUSE PORTER WANTED IT. Too much evidence is there to show that PBC guys could've been fought Crawford if they wanted to. Full stop.

>Crawford is one of my favorite fighters in the sport.

Mine too.

>However, there is something missing that does not make him
>appealing to casual boxing fans.

With all due respect, that's bullshit. Tank Davis is no more appealing than Crawford, even less charismatic and even on tape abusing a woman. His promoters (mainly Ellerbe and Floyd) simply promote him relentlessly and build him up rather than tear him down like Bob did Bud. Tank also fights on tradition PPV outlets where people know how to buy. They had Bud on the ESPN+ app where countless people had no idea how to order and so just watched it for free. That covers your point about Bob complaining he "loses money". Bob is ass. Hell, Tank don't even have great PPV numbers, but again, his promoters continue to lift him up instead of tearing him down. Bud has STOPPED 13 of his last 15 opponents. You can't tell me his fights aren't exciting. First folks claim they don't like Floyd because he decisions folks, now yall got Crawford KO'ing mofos left and right and you let this CLOWN as white man convince yall he ain't appealing. Please stop buying whatever bullshit these people say.

>If Crawford signed with TR to become a star and a champion,
>that makes sense. If he signed with them thinking he would
>have opportunities to fight the PBC guys, there is just very
>little evidence to support that.

He most likely sigend with them because he had a very high monetary guarantee on his fights, and he has 5 children and a wife. He was promised the Spence fight, and that promise wasn't kept. That's why he said he's out after this Porter fight, his last on the contract.

2752076, RE: Bud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Posted by S_Ali, Wed Dec-01-21 01:16 PM
>>>Gonna be one helluva fight.
>>>
>>>They've been playing "keep away" from Crawford over at the
>>>PBC, refusing to "cross the street" to fight him.
>>
>>No, they have been doing business as usual. Neither
>>promotional company has a history of crossing the street
>>unless it is a significant fight. PBC just happens to have
>>considerably more options at 147.
>
>
>Wilder fought Fury 3 times. PBC guys claim to be their own
>bosses. The man sat there on stage at the press conference and
>said the fight happened BECAUSE PORTER WANTED IT. Too much
>evidence is there to show that PBC guys could've been fought
>Crawford if they wanted to. Full stop.
>

Again, they come together when there is a significant fight to be made. From a competitive standpoint and more importantly financially. If Wilder was not going to fight Joshua, Fury is absolutely the biggest fight that could be made in the division.

>
>>Crawford is one of my favorite fighters in the sport.
>
>
>Mine too.
>
>
>
>>However, there is something missing that does not make him
>>appealing to casual boxing fans.
>
>
>With all due respect, that's bullshit. Tank Davis is no more
>appealing than Crawford, even less charismatic and even on
>tape abusing a woman. His promoters (mainly Ellerbe and Floyd)
>simply promote him relentlessly and build him up rather than
>tear him down like Bob did Bud. Tank also fights on tradition
>PPV outlets where people know how to buy. They had Bud on the
>ESPN+ app where countless people had no idea how to order and
>so just watched it for free. That covers your point about Bob
>complaining he "loses money". Bob is ass. Hell, Tank don't
>even have great PPV numbers, but again, his promoters continue
>to lift him up instead of tearing him down. Bud has STOPPED 13
>of his last 15 opponents. You can't tell me his fights aren't
>exciting. First folks claim they don't like Floyd because he
>decisions folks, now yall got Crawford KO'ing mofos left and
>right and you let this CLOWN as white man convince yall he
>ain't appealing. Please stop buying whatever bullshit these
>people say.
>
You are missing the point. I would say Crawford is a Top 3 Pound for Pound guy right now. Nobody is questioning his talent or the entertainment value of his fights. I am saying people don't pay to see him fight. That is a fact. If Danny Garcia fought Terrence Crawford as an undefeated champ, Danny would demand a bigger split of the pie because he is a bigger draw. That is how this business works.
Emphasis on "Business" they are no longer in the amateurs. Errol Spence is an undefeated, unified champ at 147. His fight against Porter more than doubled the PPV numbers of the Crawford fight. If he decides to give Crawford 40% that is more than fair.

>
>>If Crawford signed with TR to become a star and a champion,
>>that makes sense. If he signed with them thinking he would
>>have opportunities to fight the PBC guys, there is just very
>>little evidence to support that.
>
>He most likely sigend with them because he had a very high
>monetary guarantee on his fights, and he has 5 children and a
>wife. He was promised the Spence fight, and that promise
>wasn't kept. That's why he said he's out after this Porter
>fight, his last on the contract.
>
Like I said, there was no evidence to support that claim. We are not talking about talent but appeal. All of the fighters you mentioned were established PPV attractions. People keep making this about Spence. He didn't fight Garcia or Thurman either. He didn't even fight Manny when both of them where with Al. That is why you have to question if he ever had any real intentions on fighting guys across the street.

>
>
>
2752132, RE: Bud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Dec-02-21 12:10 PM
>Again, they come together when there is a significant fight to
>be made. From a competitive standpoint and more importantly
>financially.

It's really funny you say that, because others have argued that PBC only works with others when they don't value the fighter they're representing, such as when Andy Ruiz Jr fought Anthony Joshua the first time.

>You are missing the point. I would say Crawford is a Top 3
>Pound for Pound guy right now. Nobody is questioning his
>talent or the entertainment value of his fights. I am saying
>people don't pay to see him fight. That is a fact.

I'm not missing the point at all. Here's why...
You just said people don't pay to see him fight. Your reasoning for that was...
>>there is something missing that does not make him
>>appealing to casual boxing fans.
I'm arguing that isn't the reason. Like I said in my previous reply, casual boxing fans are used to buying PPV's thru cable providers. Bud vs Porter was on the ESPN+ app where so many people were asking how to purchase. This is an app that people have trouble navigating for FREE fights. That's even documented on this very board. I'm not sure why you're ignoring this to reach the conclusing that "something's missing" unless that something is proper marketing, promotion, and access.

>>He most likely sigend with them because he had a very high
>>monetary guarantee on his fights, and he has 5 children and a
>>wife. He was promised the Spence fight, and that promise
>>wasn't kept. That's why he said he's out after this Porter
>>fight, his last on the contract.
>
>Like I said, there was no evidence to support that claim.

There is evidence to support all of those claims. Please feel *EXTREMELY* free to try me on that.

2752136, RE: Bud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Posted by S_Ali, Thu Dec-02-21 12:41 PM
>>Again, they come together when there is a significant fight
>to
>>be made. From a competitive standpoint and more importantly
>>financially.
>
>
>It's really funny you say that, because others have argued
>that PBC only works with others when they don't value the
>fighter they're representing, such as when Andy Ruiz Jr fought
>Anthony Joshua the first time.
>
We are talking about elite fighters and you mention Andy Ruiz. PBC operates exactly like Top Rank. In this scenario, Haymon holds all the cards. People are fooling themselves if they think if Arum had all the big names at 147 he would choose to do business with Haymon. He would rather see him starve. He has already tried to sue him several times. Arum would rather have his guys fight each other 3x (Manny and Bradley or Manny and Marquez 4x) than break bread with someone else.
>
>>You are missing the point. I would say Crawford is a Top 3
>>Pound for Pound guy right now. Nobody is questioning his
>>talent or the entertainment value of his fights. I am
>saying
>>people don't pay to see him fight. That is a fact.
>
>
>I'm not missing the point at all. Here's why...
>You just said people don't pay to see him fight. Your
>reasoning for that was...

HIS PPV NUMBERS!!!!!! And if you are suggesting it is
because the app is problematic and that is the reason for the poor PPV numbers. Come on man?? And if the issue with getting him to the next level is the app or the promoter, why did he resign with Top Rank in the first place? Arum is on record saying he loses money putting him on PPV. How exactly does it benefit him to talk ish about his own fighter?

2752214, You're ignoring the part where I said your conclusion was off
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Thu Dec-02-21 08:13 PM
>if you are suggesting it is
>because the app is problematic and that is the reason for the
>poor PPV numbers. Come on man??

"Come on man" is not a valid response, sir. I'm in a few boxing cirlces. People cited this problem in ALL of them. Either themselves or people they knew were confused about how to purchase, and so they didn't. This is not stuff I'm making up. It was quite the topic during and after the fight.

I'll finish responding to your post, but it's probably best to agree to disagree at this point, because you're dismissing the main issue with "come on man" which isn't a very well thought out rebuttal.

>And if the issue with getting
>him to the next level is the app or the promoter, why did he
>resign with Top Rank in the first place?

I already answered this question. He was being paid extremely well. The guy has a big family. I can't be mad at a young Black man for securing the future of his 5 children.
Top Rank seems to think the app PPV idea would catch on... and it might, but that's farther in the future than they anticipated.

>Arum is on record
>saying he loses money putting him on PPV. How exactly does it
>benefit him to talk ish about his own fighter?

That actually adds to the point about him being terribly promoted. You're saying it yourself. Floyd and Ellerbe don't say these kinds of things about Tank when he does poor numbers. They continue to build him and say he'll be the biggest star in the sport. Why? Because it matters what your promoter publicly says about you.

You can save the links as well unless you're going to share something I didn't already know. Please keep in mind that I read boxing news daily, so your link is very old news to me. Aside from that, it also underscores my point that Crawford stayed with Top Rank because they were paying him extremely well. They just weren't promoting him well.

2752248, Last Posr
Posted by S_Ali, Fri Dec-03-21 12:15 PM
>>if you are suggesting it is
>>because the app is problematic and that is the reason for
>the
>>poor PPV numbers. Come on man??
>
>
>
>"Come on man" is not a valid response, sir. I'm in a few
>boxing cirlces. People cited this problem in ALL of them.
>Either themselves or people they knew were confused about how
>to purchase, and so they didn't. This is not stuff I'm making
>up. It was quite the topic during and after the fight.
>
Are you suggesting PPV is not an objective metric and certain platforms should be graded on a curve or allow for variables? Here's the problem, Wilder and Fury on average did more than 3x better than Crawford/Porter. Are those 800k people who figured out how to buy Wilder/Fury 2 geniuses or something?
You do understand "Come On Man" is preceded by something that actually happened. You chose to focus on that instead of the 135,000 PPV buys.

>I'll finish responding to your post, but it's probably best to
>agree to disagree at this point, because you're dismissing the
>main issue with "come on man" which isn't a very well thought
>out rebuttal.
>
>
>>And if the issue with getting
>>him to the next level is the app or the promoter, why did he
>>resign with Top Rank in the first place?
>
>
>I already answered this question. He was being paid extremely
>well. The guy has a big family. I can't be mad at a young
>Black man for securing the future of his 5 children.
>Top Rank seems to think the app PPV idea would catch on... and
>it might, but that's farther in the future than they
>anticipated.
>

That is a poor argument. People having families to provide for is hardly unique. As the saying goes, "Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me!" At least you acknowledged it was about his guarantees and not necessarily competing against the best fighters in the division. We agree on that.

Any fighter, this is not specific to Crawford, that has never did more than 150K PPV is in no position to call shots with people that have generated more revenue.

2752283, RE: Last Post
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Sat Dec-04-21 10:27 AM
>Are you suggesting PPV is not an objective metric and certain
>platforms should be graded on a curve or allow for variables?

I'm saying your conclusion that "there's something missing" with Crawford as far as fan appeal is wrong, and that the sales, regarding Porter especially, are due to the platform.
That's been my point the whole time. I haven't argued about who should get what split. I very much live by the fan's job being solely to demand the fights. I sincerely give zero fucks who gets what split. Just make the fight.

>Here's the problem, Wilder and Fury on average did more than
>3x better than Crawford/Porter. Are those 800k people who
>figured out how to buy Wilder/Fury 2 geniuses or something?

That argument is a failure, because all 3 Wilder/Fury fights were available either on Showtime or Fox (traditional PPV outlets) IN ADDITION to ESPN+.

>That is a poor argument. People having families to provide
>for is hardly unique. As the saying goes, "Fool me once shame
>on you. Fool me twice shame on me!" At least you acknowledged
>it was about his guarantees and not necessarily competing
>against the best fighters in the division. We agree on that.

That's actually an argument I don't think is terrible, because it's partially correct. I think he took the best money, knowing that Spence could still fight him if he wanted to... just like Porter did. Spence just never wanted to. Spence has made that clear on multiple occasions, after which Crawford said he was just gonna move on as well. But sure, I can agree that the money was first priority. He's a prize fighter. As Mayweather said "People say I'm fighting for the money. DUH! I'm a prizefighter."

2752208, RE: Bud Crawford vs Shawn Porter |11.20 | ESPN+ PPV
Posted by S_Ali, Thu Dec-02-21 07:05 PM
This comes off as sour grapes but he was saying the same thing years ago.

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/bob-arum-on-terence-crawford-weve-lost-money-on-every-fight/207257?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook