Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAfter the way this season has played out, I’m conflicted on this one
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2751168&mesg_id=2751432
2751432, After the way this season has played out, I’m conflicted on this one
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Wed Nov-24-21 09:13 AM
Yes, I know many PSU fans are stuck in the 80s and are deluded into thinking PSU is a top tier destination and program that should be competing for championships year in year out. I also know that Franklin garners more criticism than he should due to the many racists within PSU’s fan base. By the same token, I do think PSU has more than enough resources to be a more competitive program. They’re consistently top 5 in attendance and the flagship college football program in the mid-Atlantic/northeast - which is still rich in talent. PSU is uniquely positioned to be at least a top 10 program.

Ups and downs are expected, but losing in 10 OT to Illinois at home is pretty inexcusable. I personally think Franklin leaves a lot to be desired as a play-caller and game day manager. He really needs to either do a better job developing OL or find a much better OL coach. He also has to start recruiting and developing better QBs if the team ever wants to get over the hump.

All in all, I’m not sure what to think. I do wonder if this is a case where you’re much more comfortable with what you have vs the alternative. At the end of the day, Franklin is a hell of a recruiter and program builder. He’s supposedly got one of the best recruiting classes in the nation coming in next year. The program could be in much worse shape. It does seem like players love him and don’t quit on him. You gotta give him credit for that. But again, for as much NFL talent coming through the program, it’s not unreasonable to expect more success on the field.

This just took a interesting turn as many speculated that Franklin was openly courting USC and LSU and track to “mutually part ways” with PSU.