Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe Zags smoked a really good Texas team.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2750453&mesg_id=2750878
2750878, The Zags smoked a really good Texas team.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-15-21 12:58 PM
I thought Texas did an admirable job of fighting them in the second half, Beard made some nice defensive adjustments... and it just didn't matter. Drew Timme is just unstoppable in the paint unless you have a true, strong big man who holds his ground and doesn't bite for ball fakes. Texas kept getting caught in Few's switches, so guys like Christian Bishop and Brock Cunningham were having to guard him, and that may as well be a layup for Timme, lol. (In the first half, it often was literally a layup.) The matchup against guys like Myles Johnson in the UCLA game and Mark Williams and Theo John in the Duke game will be really interesting, as Johnson and John in particular will gladly get physical, and getting physical with Timme was the only thing that even slowed him down last year. (UCLA's gonna have a big problem figuring out who to guard Holmgren-- Duke has Banchero, and there's no love between those two, so that should make for sensational television.)

Texas is going to be really, really good, that was just a brutal matchup for them, especially since they didn't have Dylan Disu. Loved what I saw from Timmy Allen and Tre Mitchell in particular-- and I'd still consider them my Big 12 favorite (though if Agbaji is actually making the leap for Kansas, I'll backpedal on that quickly, lol).