Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectFirst half was pretty gross. Second half was god level.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2750453&mesg_id=2750875
2750875, First half was pretty gross. Second half was god level.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-15-21 12:48 PM
In the end, Nova just ran out of steam-- their rotation is shallower, and some of those guys just don't have the experience playing long minutes that UCLA does. Guys like Dixon and Slater just haven't played 40 minute games before. Justin Moore also got caught on bullshit foul trouble really early, and that hurt his effectiveness on both ends-- he's their best player imo and is going to be really important for them in big games like this.

Juzang's ability to make difficult shots is other-worldly. I've no doubt that he will completely shoot UCLA out of a game at some point this season (shit, he almost did in the first half), because his shot selection is absurd... but when he's going, he's one of those guys that *truly* can't miss.

I still think end of the day that Nova is probably the better team. Losing in OT in a true road game this early in the season with Justin Moore in bad foul trouble is probably the sort of thing that makes them a much better team come March. But I am still really impressed with Cronin's team defense, especially considering Juzang and Campbell aren't really good defenders and are out there at all times. Says a lot about the coaching and says a lot about the impact of guys like Jaquez (the best pro prospect on UCLA imo-- for this upcoming draft anyway, maybe Watson passes him long term) and Myles Johnson, both of whom were really terrific.