Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecti found the backwards psychology distracting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2750232&mesg_id=2753074
2753074, i found the backwards psychology distracting
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Dec-16-21 12:44 AM
it was an hour of good television, and i appreciated that, but if Page were the challenger and not the champion thats a legit classic that people still care about in 20 years. he took all the risks (some stupid), he fought from underneath the whole time, Danielson wasted time and did jumping jacks in between playong rope break gamesl, yet Page is trying to beat the clock at the end. i dont understand what im supposed to take away from this besides appreciation for the performances bc a time limit draw with a babyface champion is weird. a heel can point to keeping the belt like that as an accomplishment, but Page cant.

this was compounded for me by Adam Page not feeling to me like "the guy". they ordained him as the guy to beat Omega, but the execution felt forced and in service of a "moment" rather than a coronation for a guy whos been kicking ass and taking names for months. the build to THIS match was good, but the build to the title reign wasnt even really a thing. their bad hanit of deciding title challengers with battle royals and ladder orgies and unseeded tournaments had undermined Page as champion for me.

kudos to Bryan Danielson however. a master class in getting one's self over regardless of the outcome. he successfully made it all about him, and im not mad about it. in fact, id like more plz.

and where's the fucking countdown? how did someone back there not tell them after the last ruined orgasm time limit draw to make it a race in the last 60 seconds?

idk man. these guys worked hard, and gave us a good match and 4 good segments of television (altho the commercials did no one any favors). but the booking continues to seem like an academic exercise on pro wrestling instead of a project designed to get people over.

otherwise the rest of the show was okay. Deeb-Shida was a bit of a letdown, and each one was better than the next one in their trilogy, which is kind of a bummer. the episode was 95% serious tho, so even the stuff i didnt particularly like didnt make me mad at myself for watching.