Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe fact that you think he's "playing" and has a"true self"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2750143&mesg_id=2750536
2750536, The fact that you think he's "playing" and has a"true self"
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Nov-10-21 01:04 PM
that doesn't say racist shit.

>because i'm able to accurately deduce what he is doing as a
>10+ year fan of the ufc?

We all see what he's doing.
It's an old ass playbook.

The difference is, you think he's "playing".

You don't think his racist dog whistling represent his "true self", and you think his "true self" is him when he isn't talking about tribes sending smoke signals.

You minimize the racist shit, and amplify the "normal" shit, as though they aren't emanating from the same person. You don't get to compartmentalize those parts.

But if he is just playing a part, and not just saying what he actually thinks, then that absolutely makes it worse.

Because that means he's willing to play into dog whistle racism for a buck, and he's selling out the "true" self who doesn't actually think that way. Nevermind the fact that none of this would make a lick of sense, and you'd be bending over backward to defend a racist.

I said that "playing" that racist is worse. your response to me was "nah, he's well respected in UFC, he understands the business side well and found an angle to generate sales which will offer him a long and fruitful ufc career, he doesn't give a shit if his opinions irk you either"

Sounds an awful lot like you are at least ok with that tact, which is tacit support of the tact at a minimum. There's no fence to ride there.

Of course, you then ended with this bullshit:

"if you're easily moved by public personas than you're going to have a hard time on this planet"

Nothing I've said even slightly indicates that I'm "easily moved by public personas". I'm merely observing what he's doing.

BUt the beauty here is, you can clear this up, and say, flat out, that you do not support the racist things he says, condemn them, and acknowledge that the moments where he's not saying racist shit do not undo or cancel the times where he does.

You can actively condemn his racist ways. So what will it be?