Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectthere's 100+ schools so someone would be dumb enough to hire him
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2746531&mesg_id=2747822
2747822, there's 100+ schools so someone would be dumb enough to hire him
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Oct-08-21 08:15 PM
but this assumes he actually wants to coach college again (evidence suggests otherwise) and that he'd settle for any gig. he voluntarily left osu and turned down texas. these are the 2 best jobs in cfb. he's expressed zero interest in SC and vice versa, and helton has been on the hot seat forever. so what job is he holding out for?

from a football perspective i think hiring him is dumb because his strength as a coach was as a recruiter who built more talented rosters than everyone else. you can't recruit at an elite level when you can't guarantee recruits and parents that you'll be able to last through even one season. and you can't recruit when your reputation as a person is tarnished.

he's not an X's and O's guy and he's running an antiquated offensive system that no longer works at the elite college level. this will also effect his ability to recruit because what 5 star qb would want to sign up to run the ball 20 times per game?

he built an historically good staff at UF but his hiring decisions at his last two stops have been dreadful. he has blind spots when it comes to coaching hires that aren't going away.

Despite the obvious character flaws people think they're getting Urban the football coach from 2006 when he's clearly a shell of his former self in that regard.

I always thought he would do a barry alvarez deal at OSU and fill in as interim HC whenever needed but I think even that ship has sailed.