Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI'm surprised Toronto hasn't offered a trade around Van Fleet.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2746059&mesg_id=2750396
2750396, I'm surprised Toronto hasn't offered a trade around Van Fleet.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Nov-08-21 03:31 PM
It's pretty clear that Masai and Company are centering everything they're building around size and versatility. Of the top 11 guys in their rotation, only *two* of them are shorter than 6'5-- Van Vleet and Dragic-- and most of them are 6'7-6'9, all can pass some, most are defensively switchable, etc. Their rookies are Barnes, Banton, and Champagnie-- all versatile 6'6-6'7 dudes, lol. So their game plan for roster construction going forward is fairly obvious.

I'd also think that Philly would have a lot of interest in a package of Van Vleet, Dragic, and picks. A lot of ball handling and experience in the backcourt to bring in, a lot of shooting. I know Van Vleet and Curry are a bit redundant in terms of size and what they bring in terms of skill, but FVV has a toughness defensively and strength for his size that Curry really can't match tbh (and I love Curry). I also think FVV has All-Star upside playing alongside a guy like Embiid.

It may not be as sexy as Dame Lillard or whatever... but unlike Portland parting with Dame, I *do* think Toronto would see a lot of value in Ben, and I *do* think they'd be willing to part with a 19-5-7 guard who defends and an experienced PG for the playoffs to get ahold of someone like Ben who fits what they want to do. And adding FVV to the current roster definitely makes them a Top 2-3 seed in the East, minimum-- and adding Dragic to the roster would definitely help in the playoffs imo.

(Of course, this would raise the question, "Who the fuck shoots for Toronto?" lol. I'm not saying it's what I'd do, but I've got to think they're sort of showing their hand with their acquisitions and rookie deals this year. They would love nothing more than to roll out a Simmons-Anunoby-Barnes-Siakam-Achiuwa lineup and tell opposing teams "cool, try scoring on this." It's an interesting premise.)