Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI was specifically referring to the Hawks series. He put up decent
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2746059&mesg_id=2746909
2746909, I was specifically referring to the Hawks series. He put up decent
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Tue Sep-21-21 08:02 PM
#s against a pretty mediocre to bad Wizards team, so all in all it was yet another disappointing postseason where his limitations were on full display. I was actually one of the few posters who came to Ben’s defense following the onslaught of hate he got immediately following the Hawks series. I’m higher on Ben than most and will not be the least bit surprised if he goes on to play much better elsewhere. Though he was always going to be a bit limited on the Sixers team as currently constructed, I do think he left a bit on the table. I’ll be disappointed if he’s really unable to own up to his shortcomings and force his way out due to spite.

My overall point was that I believe people are assigning too much blame on Doc’s comments made in the spur of the moment. I’d be willing to bet the house that Doc has made more than enough attempts to clarify his comments and affirm his confidence in Ben. Ben definitely didn’t deserve the hate he got, but he has to realize that it was coming from all angles - not just in Philly. He’s a max level contract guy who is expected to play big in big moments. But he routinely defers in big game moments. I think he would get more of a pass if he at least would make some FTs.

All in all it’s a pretty shitty situation for both sides. Ben’s entering his prime and has got 4 years left on a max level contract . Sixers don’t have to pay him if he doesn’t play, but do they want to risk not getting an asset now since Embiid’s window may only be the next 4-5 years?? It will be an interesting standoff between Morey and Simmons’s camp.