Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI think the context of the fit matters.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2746059&mesg_id=2746506
2746506, I think the context of the fit matters.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-14-21 09:49 PM
I wonder what my lineup looks like with CJ instead of Ben. Seth Curry goes to the bench, and you start CJ, Danny Green, Tobias, Embiid, and... what, Shake Milton? Because to me, I don't think that's better than a, what, 4th seed in the East? Maybe 5th? In which case... is that a true contender? Especially considering what the top seeds in the West look like?

Plus, and more importantly, you're now in a spot where Curry, McCollum, and Maxey all more or less do the same thing at the same size to varying levels of efficacy... which just isn't great use of a roster. Not to mention, if you're even *entertaining* playing two of these players at once, then you're going to have a serious problem defending the perimeter. The efficacy of the defense is already going to dip considerably once you lose a Top 5 defender in the NBA like Ben.

Now, if they can make a deal where it's, say, Simmons and Maxey (who Paul seems to want out anyway also, so probably sucks long term for Philly, but fair enough) for CJ, Larry Nance, and 2-3 future firsts? Now you're looking at CJ, Green, Harris, Nance, Embiid with Curry and Milton first off the bench? While I'm still not necessarily convinced that's a true title contender, you at least know you're going to still have a top 3-4 defense in the NBA, and you'll have improved shooting on the floor, which means the offense has a decent shot to nudge into the top 10. I'd like that team's odds to win 50+ games.

But I'd have concerns about Ben for CJ straight up, due largely to fit.