Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYou know, I'm legitimately curious why you asked.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2746052&mesg_id=2747384
2747384, You know, I'm legitimately curious why you asked.
Posted by Buck, Thu Sep-30-21 06:29 PM
The implication seems to be that I support no particular team, and that somehow that's a bad thing, right? But why do you think that, exactly?

Now, as a point of fact I do broadly, but definitely not rabidly, support Liverpool, which Smutsboy can probably confirm, and I tend to root for them in most matches. But that's only because I have this vague feeling that since they're owned by the same group that owns the Red Sox, who I've always supported, that what's good for Liverpool FC is probably somehow good for the Sox as well, even though that doesn't really make much sense. Nevertheless, yeah, I'm slightly more of an LFC fan than not. Helps that they're fun to watch these days.

But otherwise, I tend to watch matches and choose my loyalty as I go along. For instance, I sat through CP v. Brighton on Saturday, and for no real reason ended up pulling for CP, and was mildly disappointed when Brighton pulled out a last-minute draw. So for that natch, evidently I was a Palace supporter.

And no, I don't support Watford. Because that would entirely arbitrary, wouldn't it? I've never even been to Watford. At best I have a vague idea of where in England it's located. In fact for an American such as myself, who grew up an ocean away from the EPL, it would pretty fucking arbitrary to declare massive support for any squad in that league, no?

Now, I'm a Sox fan because my whole family going back about 6 generations is from New England, and I started going to Fenway games as a little kid, right? Kind of born into it. And I assume something similar is the case with your Chelsea support, surely. Could you tell us some stories about your youth in...Kensington, was it? Or Parsons Green? Hopping on the Underground, bounding up the steps into the bright sunshine with Stamford Bridge towering right there in front of you? Oh, that must have been a treat...

So, no, I don't really support any squad. Liverpool a bit. I just watch and enjoy the matches. And troll you.