Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNice try but no
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2745655&mesg_id=2745776
2745776, Nice try but no
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Thu Sep-02-21 02:07 AM
>The first Tetanus vaccine was developed in 1924, and
>administered in 1938 to
>the military and also became commercially available around
>that time. That’s
>a 10-14 year process, which is somewhat of a standard
>timetable for the full
>development and availability of a vaccine ( prior to the
>release of the covid vaccine).
>So your whole 1992 comment is way off, and is just pure
>sarcasm.
>

YOUR argument (or at least the only one still wobbily standing now that you have admitted the animal testing was a lie and punted on the hospitalization/morbidity numbers) is that as long as the vaccines are not completely "perfected" and without unknown complications, it is perfectly reasonable to avoid them.

In case you forgot, here is what you have been saying (the capitalizations are your own):

"I never said it was faulty. I said it has yet to be PERFECTED.
That’s a huge difference"

"the science
has yet to determine the long term efficacy of the vaccine"

"I go back to my tetanus shot
analogy. The science has been perfected, and I’m very familiar with the
approach and process of the vaccine"

Using your own logic, the tetanus vaccine was not "perfected" in 1938! That's just when it began to be administered to the some segments of society.

"DTP (which is the combined vaccine for diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis) was first used in 1948, and was continued until 1991, when it was replaced with an acellular form of the pertussis vaccine due to safety concerns. Half of those who received the DTP vaccine had redness, swelling, and pain around the injection site, which convinced researchers to find a replacement vaccine."

Okay, so it was reformulated in 1948, and then again in 1991 because of safety concerns and side-effects. Kind of lack that J&J vaccine you were harping on as evidence that this whole process is WHOLLY UNPRECEDENTED.

For all we know, your beloved tetanus vaccine is still not "perfected". Which goes back to the whole point that vaccines are medicine, not magic. They are not perfect. They will never be without any risk for all people all the time. The idea that you will wait till everything is "perfected" before undergoing treatment is facile, especially when you are talking about a disease pandemic.

I honestly appreciate that you were willing to engage on the subject but your argument(s) falls apart under the slightest scrutiny and your tetanus example was a particularly comical unforced error.

The vast, vast, majority of people do not want to get vaccinated it is because of reasons that have nothing to do with science. They, like you, know almost nothing about vaccines and are just saying things they heard, that SOUND like scientific arguments. They are not. The only valid questions about vaccination are philosophical, ethical and civic. The weighing of one's individual autonomy versus what is best for the group, etc, etc. It would be much better if people would just admit that rather than this "waiting for more information" nonsense.

And I honestly think I am being generous in allowing that some of these people could form coherent philosophical and ethical arguments for these choices. But at least those things are debatable.