Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Phenomenal episode of Dynamite last night
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2745226&mesg_id=2747031
2747031, RE: Phenomenal episode of Dynamite last night
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Sep-23-21 11:27 AM
>What else can be said about Omega/BD? When they run this back
>I hope it goes 45 minutes. And when they run THAT rematch back
>I hope it’s 2 out of 3 falls. Phenomenal. I thought it was
>especially cool that Danielson made it clear that “Bryan
>Danielson” is a totally different type of competitor than
>“Daniel Bryan”. I saw him wrestle Kenta in the Manhattan
>Center in 06 for ROH and this felt like that - some of the
>most violent and creative offense you’ll ever see in the
>States.

Yes (no pun). I love self-aware wrestlers who are willing to adjust. Danielson knows what people like about his pre WWE/ROH Best in the world era. And he's trying to hit that mark for his last 'full-time' run while adding in all that he learned in WWE. I think it is going to kick all sorts and types of ass. So far so good. And wow..that crowd was AMPED the whole time.

> And Omega was superb…Ieft that match wondering if he’s
>more like Cena, in that as good as he is he’s largely
>dependent on the dance partner. Cena/Orton? Bad. Cena/Punk?
>Magic. Omega vs Jericho, vs Moxley, vs Christian hasn’t
>yielded especially inspiring results…and that’s before you
>even get into how he’s presented as a character. But with a
>game opponent and enough time to show and prove , Omega
>reminded the world that he can be not just good but special.
>

That's where my 'full-speed' comment about Kenny was going. Kenny is at his best when the situation calls for him to be a balls to the wall, New and All Japan 'epic match', HBK memorial-style wrestler who can do basically anything in the ring and make it all look good. And until now, AEW hasn't really allowed for him to have that with any regularity. And he's not a Flair/classic with a broomstick type of guy I don't think. I still contend that he's a good heel cuz people want to see get beat the fuck up and he's not above looking like a bitch/cheating like crazy to steal a win.

Jericho, Christian, and even Mox are not at their top speed/prime/best. Bryan is much closer to his peak than they are. And that's what Kenny needs/deserves at least some of the time to max himself out. I'm glad to see that he still has it when he gets a chance to do it.

>I too thought they were gonna do the Austin/Bret switch last
>night with Cody/Black. I don’t think this was by design…I
>think Cody’s weekly melodramatic shtick was done in earnest
>in the beginning and he’s realizing that he wore out his
>welcome. Provided they pivot to the heel turn soon enough
>there’s limitless potential for him and even more mileage in
>this program. Two great wrestlers with great CHARACTERS.
>

Look man, this is going to happen. As soon as Black did the fake dive into the backflip and sit deal, I thought...'hmmm, double turn!'.

All of the weird stuff with Arn is gonna help it all go even more. And you know folks can't wait to hate on fine ass Brandi Rhodes. And she's easily a better heel anyway. It shall be fun.

>Is Britt Baker can Charlotte the best possible fantasy match
>on Earth right now? Again, she’s a CHARACTER. If I’m Tony
>Khan She needs to get the Reigns treatment and carry that
>thing for over a year and just shove her greatness down
>everyone’s throats.

The thing they are both very good at is 'having a different speed' when it is time to do certain sequences. Charlotte is one of the best out at this..she's done it to perfection several times in the last few years. She was SUPREME in her Rumble win a couple of years ago for instance. The speed of her finishing sequences when she's working with someone who can go is even more special. Her matches will hold up really well.

And Britt..oh man, I'm so glad she turned heel/tweener and got saved. And the Tony Schiovane shit is funny to me. It is almost too perfect to have Tony shill for her even more than he does in general. To me, the point is that he's a tweener too.

Give me Reigns/Omega though for best fantasy match for living people who can still go. Those SOBs would be making faces, laying shit in, and going all out. And Reigns loves those smaller guys that he can hoss up on. The cool reversals alone would probably make Kurt Angle blush. Hell, I'd love me some Rollins/Omega too for the reversal festivals too.

>I hope MJF is done spinning his wheels with Pillman Jr. I’d
>love to see MJF vs Hangman whenever he returns.

That might be it. MJF deserves something big where he can spread his wings in the ring if he has it in him.

On one hand, I kinda want Hangman to 'get his turn' at the top, but sheesh..he might be screwed for the next year or so with all of the STAR folks around now. Add in folks like Miro/Rusev and Darby being flat out excellent the last few months and there's a traffic jam of goodness developing on the AEW shows.

>There’s an almost 0% chance that Guevara/Miro sucks next
>week provided they get enough time. Cocky young Hispanic kid
>vs Hoss European brute? I am SO in. If next week’s match is
>just the start of their program , then this first match would
>be an appropriate time to debut Lana.

Sammy is good times when he gets to wrestle.

Miro is back on his best days shit right now. His talking bits are upgraded now too. And his matches are dynamic even when they are basically squashes. I think I've seen it describes as 'he sells even when he's on offense'. And he damn sure does. And I love him for it.