Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectyessssss
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2745226&mesg_id=2745354
2745354, yessssss
Posted by cgonz00cc, Sun Aug-22-21 07:30 PM
>The first is of course the Midnights vs. Midnights, which was
>just great TV. The fact that it culminated in a Tuxedo Match
>between Paul E. and Cornette that could have understandibly
>been a complete comedy match that they both decided to play
>fairly straight was also awesome.

this was actually one of the first angles i can remember in all my years of watching. Corny getting bloodied with the phone and cutting an all timer of a babyface promo was the kind of realistic angle that sustained kayfabe for me longer than my friends who watched WWF. WWF was fun, but stuff like this was REAL.

>The second is the whole Dangerous Alliance angle, which was
>also 20 types of awesome and culminated in probably the best
>War Games ever. Then it stopped because WCW didn't know what
>the hell else to do with them.

Agreed on the GOAT War Games. As a kid it all tied together nicely for me that losing War Games would be then end of them as a unit, but in retrospect it all ended way too soon. It did give us Paul E vs Madusa Gender Warz tho!

>But yeah, Paul E. has great vision, an eye for talent, and
>ability to book to everyone's strengths. So many of the guys
>still at the top of WWE and other top guys we are around
>wrestling or his projects or guys he championed.

It crazy to think of the ongoing influence of him and Cornette. The self-proclaimed "Paul Heyman guy" doing what he did Friday, Paul E booking the champ, OVW alumni still driving the bus for SummerSlam 2021 (Orton, Cena, Lesnar)...pretty wild.

The fact that Paul E's influence still extends to being on-screen in the flagship angle on primetime network television in 2021? Fuckin astonishing. I wish they would plop him down behind a microphone full-time while he's still got the juice to handle the schedule, but there's no way that jives with the office's "vision" for commentary.