Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYea. Folks here seem to think of mental health as mental health episodes
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2743713&mesg_id=2744035
2744035, Yea. Folks here seem to think of mental health as mental health episodes
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Jul-29-21 09:08 AM
This is an important convo and one I'm just figuring out myself as a lifelong athlete --but even longer human being.

As an athlete im acutely aware of how I feel physically every day. And that is a spectrum. When I wake up in the morning, I can personally make a guess of how I'm feeling that day; for example on a scale of 0-100%. There are many factors that go into that -- but overall that is my health. Some days I don't get enough sleep, I worked out to hard, didn't eat well -- and they all factor into my health. I don't have to have some injury to say I/m not 100%.

My personal understanding of my own mental health is working toward that same principal. I don't need to be in some deep depression or have a panic attack to say I'm having mental health issues. Maybe I didn't sleep well and my physical health contributes to mental health. Maybe I argued with my wife and that shit is on my mind, or my kids are wilding the fuck out. Does that mean I need to take a day off of work? Not necessarily, but sometimes I do.

I don't think you need the yips or some other breakdown that other people can see to say you aren;'t at 100% or even 90% mental health.

There is a spectrum and range and mental health issues does not equal mental health episodes and breakdowns

While I appreciate some of the nuance of the conversation above. I don't think the determination of my own mental health should also fall onto the place of "will I get severely injured or die if I mess this up?"

Its ok to just not feel right - most times I push through, but now learning that I don't have to every time.