Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe city screws itself, the citizens get screwed
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2743713&mesg_id=2743943
2743943, The city screws itself, the citizens get screwed
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Jul-27-21 06:25 PM
Like Walleye said “socializing the costs, privatizing the profits”

I think people bidding are lining their pockets and
>friends pockets. I dont know if its the IOC selling false
>dreams or the idiots who are doing the bidding.

I wouldn’t even call the bidders idiots, I’d call them bad actors. They know how it’s gonna go down and they don’t care. The politicians who push for it will be out of office and working for the private sector by the time the mess needs to be cleaned up (or moved on to a higher office). The businesspeople who push for it have no reason to act in good faith cause they largely won’t be footing the bill. And at this point the IOC is so corrupt I don’t even think they’re selling false dreams.

Either way at
>this point its stupid to host if you arent LA or another big
>city that has shit already in place.

Even LA ain’t ready for this shit. They’re trying to expand the transit system to be able to handle it, and of course, that’s very costly. LA certainly does need an expanded transit system, but if it’s just being built to handle 2 weeks of olympics rather than everyday life in Los Angeles, I doubt the expansion will be useful.

The way I see it, there are 2 possible solutions:

1) Have a singular Olympic city so that they can get more than 2 weeks use out of these very expensive and very specific venues.

2) Have a host country instead of a host city. Obviously this would spread out the events, so this isn’t ideal, but neither is building a fencing arena every 4 years.