Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectTokyo Olympics...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2743713
2743713, Tokyo Olympics...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-23-21 07:18 AM
I feel like NBC could've done the sponsorships differently during the opening ceremonies and not had commercials while teams were walking in...
2743718, I feel like Argentina and Portugal had the best entrances
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-23-21 08:54 AM
2743724, I believe they show every country on the tape delay version
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Jul-23-21 09:58 AM
>I feel like NBC could've done the sponsorships differently
>during the opening ceremonies and not had commercials while
>teams were walking in...
2743736, fuck these Olympics
Posted by benny, Fri Jul-23-21 10:56 AM
2743750, I understand the pushback from folks in Tokyo at the same time...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-23-21 05:48 PM
gathering to protest because of COVID just doesn't seem right
2743774, when did 3 on 3 basketball become an Olympic sport?
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Jul-24-21 01:38 PM
2743812, For more than a decade now.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sun Jul-25-21 01:34 PM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2743784, This shit is washed
Posted by Deebot, Sat Jul-24-21 10:58 PM
2743786, What the fuck if peacock
Posted by Cenario, Sun Jul-25-21 07:05 AM
2743794, It’s pure trash
Posted by DJR, Sun Jul-25-21 09:30 AM
I’ve had it for a few months because I got a 4.99 a month promotional deal. It crashes and skips all the time. The setup makes zero sense and is hard to use. I hate it.
2743787, Might turn out to be utterly forgettable Olympics.
Posted by ceeq9, Sun Jul-25-21 08:31 AM

====================================
Life in the completeness of its unity is negative. (c) ABK
2743789, NBC is doing a horrible job promoting the airings
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Jul-25-21 08:58 AM
2743790, Grand opening...
Posted by Dstl1, Sun Jul-25-21 09:04 AM
2743792, USA men’s basketball take an L off the rip. Terrible
Posted by Beezo, Sun Jul-25-21 09:07 AM
2743813, Fuck the IOC as a staff...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sun Jul-25-21 01:38 PM
..a record label, and as a muthafuckin' crew. © Pac

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2743821, I feel so bad for the citizens of Japan.
Posted by guru0509, Sun Jul-25-21 04:44 PM
No wonder Toyota backed out of all advertising along with other huge Japanese brands

The public is incensed at their government for letting this bullshit slide

2743831, Luka opened up with 48 in 30 mins. He came to play
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jul-26-21 07:53 AM
2743841, Imagine still being a Luka hater in 2021.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-26-21 10:27 AM
Dude is just exceptionally fun to watch out there. An absolute savant. And he's 22! The next decade of Luka Ball is gonna be fun as shit.
2743845, for real. shit's goofy
Posted by Cenario, Mon Jul-26-21 11:16 AM
2743852, The U of A Suns fans despise him.
Posted by HecticHavoc, Mon Jul-26-21 12:02 PM
U of A Suns fans are peak annoying. they blindly defend Ayton when he never played like a first overall pick until this summer. and they constantly hate on Luka to try and defend their position that Ayton is worth the pick.
2743855, I think the "Luka hate" started when the media tried to crown him as a...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-26-21 12:13 PM
MVP favorite coming into the season, despite his stats the Mavs have to be a top 4 seed in the west to do that, and I know people will say Russ did it on a 6 seed but he did something historical
2743857, Him crying like a bitch to the refs all the time is annoying too..
Posted by guru0509, Mon Jul-26-21 01:20 PM
Dude deserved almost every single tech he got . Shit was downright petulant

>MVP favorite coming into the season, despite his stats the
>Mavs have to be a top 4 seed in the west to do that, and I
>know people will say Russ did it on a 6 seed but he did
>something historical
2743859, I'm shocked people would use hatred of the media to ignore reality!
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-26-21 01:58 PM
Yes, media narratives cause people to hate all sorts of shit they shouldn't hate, from sports to politics and well beyond. That doesn't mean that defiance of one's own eyeballs is justifiable, lol.

He did 29-9-9 as a 21 year old and dragged his team, by himself, to a 7 seed. And most outlets pegged the Mavs as a team likely to improve in 2020-21, so considering he finished 4th in MVP voting in 2020, and people thought his team was going to finish better than it did in 2020 (and it did, fwiw)? Luka is a reasonable name to put in your top 5 favorites going into 2020-21. In fact, your list would kind of be crazy if it *didn't* have Luka on it, considering the context.

So if a quarter to a third of every sports outlet's team of NBA writers want to pick Luka as their preseason favorite... I think that's pretty damn reasonable given the context, lol. If 100% of writers picked Luka, that'd be one thing, okay, that'd be weird... but that wasn't the case preseason on ESPN (36%), The Ringer (25%), Sports Illustrated (25%), NY Times (33%), and so forth. The NBA GMs didn't pick Luka-- they predicted Giannis to win a third straight. Even Vegas betting markets had Giannis as the favorite preseason, not Luka. (I can post links to all of these if you want, but if you just Google "NBA MVP preseason prediction" with the name of an outlet, they're easy links to find. Here's the preseason Vegas numbers link: https://www.actionnetwork.com/nba/nba-mvp-betting-odds-giannis-antetokounmpo-luka-doncic-lebron-james-step-curry-2021)

And even if the media predicted some outlandish shit-- as they're capable of doing, especially on ESPN!-- we can always just... change the channel and enjoy the beautiful basketball being played. Lord knows I started enjoying sports far more once I stopped watching ESPN talking heads shows and started watching basketball games on mute (a few announcers notwithstanding). Wade out into the water now and again in order to find a few writers you trust, read them, and toss the rest of the noise into the dumpster.
2743860, lol pretty much.
Posted by Cenario, Mon Jul-26-21 02:17 PM
2743867, We are all beholden to the discourse
Posted by Walleye, Mon Jul-26-21 03:03 PM
Hilariously apt that your description of just enjoying sports without the additional, mostly unrelated effort to do media criticism is based on wandering into open water. I felt the same way. Like "am ... am I allowed to just not give a shit?"

Turns out the answer is "yes". The best part of any athletic contest is incredible athletes coming together to try and be amazing. People who get paid to comment on sports are very stupid and very boring. They are hired because of this, not in spite of this.
2743881, It's genuinely frightening at first!
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-26-21 05:35 PM
>Like "am ... am I allowed to just not give a shit?" Turns out the answer is "yes".

There's got to be some sort of DABDA-esque five stage cycle that breaks down how those who grow up in the 24 hour sports media coverage era learn to process sports. Something like: We let hot takes influence how we watch. We get angry at hot takes that don't align with what we see when we watch. We successfully detach hot takes from the watching experience.

Lord knows when I started posting on this site in, like, senior year of high school, I was definitely in the first stage of this.

>People who get paid to comment on sports are very stupid and very boring. They are hired because of this, not in spite of this.

I was stoned, talking to a friend about Charlie Kirk. And my friend said, "I could do what Charlie Kirk does better than Charlie Kirk does it. I'd be fucking great at it. I'd just have to not give a shit about people or myself." I think about that a lot whenever I turn on ESPN. Just a sea of grifters, all of whom are perfectly aware they're grifting, and none of whom give a shit.
2743885, RE: It's genuinely frightening at first!
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-26-21 06:58 PM
>>Like "am ... am I allowed to just not give a shit?" Turns
>out the answer is "yes".
>
>There's got to be some sort of DABDA-esque five stage cycle
>that breaks down how those who grow up in the 24 hour sports
>media coverage era learn to process sports. Something like: We
>let hot takes influence how we watch. We get angry at hot
>takes that don't align with what we see when we watch. We
>successfully detach hot takes from the watching experience.
>
>Lord knows when I started posting on this site in, like,
>senior year of high school, I was definitely in the first
>stage of this.
>
>>People who get paid to comment on sports are very stupid and
>very boring. They are hired because of this, not in spite of
>this.
>
>I was stoned, talking to a friend about Charlie Kirk. And my
>friend said, "I could do what Charlie Kirk does better than
>Charlie Kirk does it. I'd be fucking great at it. I'd just
>have to not give a shit about people or myself." I think about
>that a lot whenever I turn on ESPN. Just a sea of grifters,
>all of whom are perfectly aware they're grifting, and none of
>whom give a shit.

ESPN has really gone to shit, they had success with the original Sports Reporters show and when PTI first started 20 years ago but they ran the "talking head" concept completely into the ground
2743914, realizing I also didn't *really* want to know about athletes helped
Posted by Walleye, Tue Jul-27-21 09:13 AM
Generally, most people aren't extraordinary at more than one thing. The coolest thing that Usain Bolt or Clayton Kershaw had/s to offer the public was being otherworldly talented. Doesn't mean they can't be intelligent, thoughtful people. But the world is full of those and forming parasocial relationships with the ones who can run 100m in under 10.00 or throw a curveball that makes my stomach turn is a weird thing to do.

I'll admit to following pretty much every runner and baseball player that I enjoy watching on instagram though. If they want to post cool pictures of their awesome lives, I'm up for it. But once we enter the universe of text and ideas - dangerous ground that tempts me to start having opinions. Gotta keep that wall up.
2743921, when i try to have sports convos with my early teen nephews
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Jul-27-21 09:53 AM
>There's got to be some sort of DABDA-esque five stage cycle
>that breaks down how those who grow up in the 24 hour sports
>media coverage era learn to process sports.

I kinda don't know what planet I'm on.

I'm thinking, 'was I also like this at their age?'. I definitely was not.

Talking with them just makes me feel like I'm on some espn argument show...and it's not enjoyable. Lately I just avoid the topic of sports with them entirely and that really sucks.
2743877, a lot of people hated on Giannis before last week, lets not act like...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-26-21 04:42 PM
sports narratives don't flip at the drop of a dime lol
2743878, This is precisely why the discourse is so stupid.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-26-21 04:55 PM
It's honestly damaging, both to our ability to understand sports and, in some cases, our ability to straight up enjoy the nigh-magical athletic feats we get to witness.

And yeah, anyone who said Giannis was "overrated" or whatever after he won two straight MVPs just... doesn't watch basketball. Or, if they do, they watch it badly, clouded by whatever screaming talking head they choose to spend their afternoons listening to on a regular basis.
2743884, the "narrative" on Lebron has flipped at least 2 or 3 times, same for...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-26-21 06:52 PM
people like Kobe, Iverson and Jordan
2743903, …and you won’t find anyone that disagrees with that…
Posted by bentagain, Tue Jul-27-21 07:24 AM
Let it happen
Folks trying to crown dude
The season after the greatest player of his generation won a chip
He’s put up back to back 1st round Ls
We all see the potential…but potential never won $hit
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pFptt7Cargc
2743880, It’s tough to watch without thinking about how host cities get screwed
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Jul-26-21 05:27 PM

If you haven’t already seen them, look up the photo galleries of abandoned Olympic venues in Athens, Beijing, and Rio. The pictures from Rio were taken just 6 months after the olympics were over. Tokyo has had to build the same very specific venues and then some, but hasn’t even been able to recoup some of those costs with ticket sales. It’s really sad. Some cities are able to convert the venues or make them public spaces, so maybe Tokyo can avoid that fate, but it’s still tough to watch. I really enjoyed the street skateboarding competition, but it probably cost millions to build that park and it was only used for 2 days.
2743886, yeah Tokyo is going to get double screwed
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-26-21 06:59 PM
2743900, I would bet on the Japanese to figure this out.
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Jul-27-21 01:58 AM
>If you haven’t already seen them, look up the photo
>galleries of abandoned Olympic venues in Athens, Beijing, and
>Rio.

the ingenuity in tokyo and all over japan is on another level. there's really nothing like it. i highly doubt they let the venues go to shit.
2743918, True, but it still costs a shitload of money
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Jul-27-21 09:36 AM

>the ingenuity in tokyo and all over japan is on another level.
>there's really nothing like it. i highly doubt they let the
>venues go to shit.

To convert some of these venues into something useful.
2743901, are host cities getting screwed or screwing themselves?
Posted by RobOne4, Tue Jul-27-21 02:32 AM
like everyone already knows how stupid it is to host if you dont have the infrastructure in place. But they keep on bidding stupid amounts of money to host. Then spend all this money to build shit with no plans for the arenas after the 2 weeks. I think people bidding are lining their pockets and friends pockets. I dont know if its the IOC selling false dreams or the idiots who are doing the bidding. Either way at this point its stupid to host if you arent LA or another big city that has shit already in place.
2743902, RE: are host cities getting screwed or screwing themselves?
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Jul-27-21 05:49 AM
Some valid points and it’s definitely both sides to blame, but with all the new “modern” events— even cities like LA don’t have the facilities needed. Tokyo is a world class city that is as modern as any including US cities— but they have to build “cool” new stadiums and courses for this.
2743906, Socializing the costs, privatizing the profits
Posted by Walleye, Tue Jul-27-21 07:55 AM
You're entirely right, just that it's a both/and not an either/or.
2743920, Right, this is why people protest
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Jul-27-21 09:43 AM
>You're entirely right, just that it's a both/and not an
>either/or.

Rich people want the shiny, big event so they can make a profit, then leave it to other people to figure out the mess it leaves behind. Once a city wins the bid it’s a runaway train. There’s been a ton of pushback in LA regarding the olympics and we’re 7 years out, yet it feels unstoppable.
2743922, oof, that's disheartening.
Posted by Walleye, Tue Jul-27-21 10:02 AM
>There’s been a ton of pushback in LA regarding the
>olympics and we’re 7 years out, yet it feels unstoppable.

It probably is. If they didn't pull the plug on this one in spite of a year and a half leadup of a world historical pandemic and a local reaction that has been openly hostile, then I can't imagine a scenario where a city that won the bid backs off of it.

Short of violence. Violence might not be THE answer, but if all of our institutions are increasingly designed to operate on autopilot to clear the lane for capital, then it's at least AN answer.

You know. Hypothetically.
2743944, Lmao n/m
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Jul-27-21 06:25 PM

>Short of violence. Violence might not be THE answer, but if
>all of our institutions are increasingly designed to operate
>on autopilot to clear the lane for capital, then it's at least
>AN answer.
>
>You know. Hypothetically.
2743943, The city screws itself, the citizens get screwed
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Jul-27-21 06:25 PM
Like Walleye said “socializing the costs, privatizing the profits”

I think people bidding are lining their pockets and
>friends pockets. I dont know if its the IOC selling false
>dreams or the idiots who are doing the bidding.

I wouldn’t even call the bidders idiots, I’d call them bad actors. They know how it’s gonna go down and they don’t care. The politicians who push for it will be out of office and working for the private sector by the time the mess needs to be cleaned up (or moved on to a higher office). The businesspeople who push for it have no reason to act in good faith cause they largely won’t be footing the bill. And at this point the IOC is so corrupt I don’t even think they’re selling false dreams.

Either way at
>this point its stupid to host if you arent LA or another big
>city that has shit already in place.

Even LA ain’t ready for this shit. They’re trying to expand the transit system to be able to handle it, and of course, that’s very costly. LA certainly does need an expanded transit system, but if it’s just being built to handle 2 weeks of olympics rather than everyday life in Los Angeles, I doubt the expansion will be useful.

The way I see it, there are 2 possible solutions:

1) Have a singular Olympic city so that they can get more than 2 weeks use out of these very expensive and very specific venues.

2) Have a host country instead of a host city. Obviously this would spread out the events, so this isn’t ideal, but neither is building a fencing arena every 4 years.
2743904, Why doesn’t NBC make any of the events available on demand?
Posted by bentagain, Tue Jul-27-21 07:31 AM
Streaming has definitely lowered my attention span
I’m not here for the backstories, narratives and 5 minute ad blocks every other minute
Let’s be real, a lot of these events only last a minute or two
I feel like I could watch the majority of the olympics in an hour or two
The NBC coverage is unwatchable

With my cable package and streaming services…I’ve got all of the networks covering the games
Why can’t I pull up a team US bball game if I want to?
2743907, NBC Sports app
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Jul-27-21 08:25 AM
You can watch 2 hours of judo if you want
2743910, That's in real time...right?
Posted by bentagain, Tue Jul-27-21 08:49 AM
I watched a couple of minutes of women's beach volleyball

Brandi Wilkerson...claude have mercy

My TV viewing time is mostly reduced to 8-10PM

It would be dope if I could pull up the day of gymnastics, etc...on demand

otherwise...yeah, I'm gonna pass on 2 hours of judo at 4am...thanks
2743911, Nah they have replays
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Jul-27-21 08:52 AM
2743913, Thanks
Posted by bentagain, Tue Jul-27-21 09:13 AM
2743908, They blockade content/highlights from social media too.
Posted by Soldado, Tue Jul-27-21 08:34 AM
in 2021.

2743917, ya i was saying to myself is it always this bad?
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Jul-27-21 09:32 AM

>The NBC coverage is unwatchable

last night i just said fuck it and switched to baseball and kept it there.

this morning i watched women's weightlifting on the app and it felt like an entirely different world...like I was watching an actual sporting event.

I like watching things on TV in primetime though.
2743909, Simone Biles pulled out of team finals.
Posted by Soldado, Tue Jul-27-21 08:35 AM
2743912, a lot of people are cooking her for bailing on the team...
Posted by PROMO, Tue Jul-27-21 09:04 AM
because a lot of people are assholes.
2743915, She didn't look right from jump
Posted by bentagain, Tue Jul-27-21 09:15 AM
Watched her vault...off the f'n mat
I wonder if she has/had Covid
She looks like Tatum when he was struggling with long haul covid

She's still the GOAT...but I feel for her...haters gonna hate
2743925, She/her people just said she pulled out for mental health.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Jul-27-21 10:30 AM
That sucks for the team, and for her, but man, if you ain't happy you ain't healthy, period.

Don't do shit if you ain't feeling it, period.

I hope she gets her head/heart right for the rest of the competition...if that's what she wants.
2743926, RE: She/her people just said she pulled out for mental health.
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Jul-27-21 11:47 AM
https://www.npr.org/sections/tokyo-olympics-live-updates/2021/07/26/1020696340/after-a-rough-day-for-team-usa-simone-biles-says-the-pressure-is-getting-to-her
2743950, so the pain of losing is a mental health thing now?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Jul-27-21 10:28 PM
2743952, What a $hit reply…do better
Posted by bentagain, Wed Jul-28-21 06:11 AM
2743953, perhaps could've been articulated a bit better but
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jul-28-21 08:01 AM
questioning how this fits under the category of 'mental health' seems fair.

she wasn't at her best physically or mentally and didn't feel like she had it in her to give it a go. totally understandable and i would never knock it.

but making it into something way bigger than that or having to tiptoe around the issue or fall over myself congratulating her for her commitment to mental health...I dunno.
2743955, Either of you watch the actual vault?
Posted by bentagain, Wed Jul-28-21 08:10 AM
I think it was Daggett that made the 'lost' comment...on her warmup vault
She's suppose to do 2.5 rotations...you can clearly see her throw her arms away from her body to stop the rotating and she starts spotting her landing mid-air...she looked lost in the air

I think part of your issue is how easy she has made this look for a decade
I think we all do not appreciate how truly dangerous these events are
The potential for serious injury was evident

I don't know what you need to see it...but this isn't about you.

I don't know much about her personally, but I would describe her as bubbly
Has it been mentioned that this is her first time as captain?
Raisman was captain in 12' and 16'
You can absolutely see a different affect on her face and there was no evidence of the previous bubbly personality, IMO
She looked completely stressed the fok out in qualifying
and she made comments to that effect

Do better.

+1, as another poster had mentioned
NBC decided to run a Nasser story, with a Biles interview on the subject...as she was stepping on the mat...

My fear for her is the bottom feeders in the US are going to pile on her for pulling out

She did what was right for her and it's no one's place to question.
2743956, if you took offense to my post
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jul-28-21 08:39 AM
then the only here with an 'issue' is you.

you need to calm down and dial it back with the condescension.

>My fear for her is the bottom feeders in the US are going to pile on her for pulling out
>She did what was right for her and it's no one's place to question.

"she wasn't at her best physically or mentally and didn't feel like she had it in her to give it a go. totally understandable and i would never knock it."
2743957, questioning how this fits under the category of 'mental health' seems fair
Posted by bentagain, Wed Jul-28-21 09:04 AM
(c) you
You didn't address any of my points
You didn't answer any of questions

We could have discussed the issue...but you chose to deflect

+2, it's not entirely clear to me who made the decision to withdraw from all competition
She withdrew from the team all-around
Some of the reporting makes it sound like it was a team USA decision to not have her compete at all subsequently

It's not about me either

bye.
2743961, RE: questioning how this fits under the category of 'mental health' seems fair
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jul-28-21 10:01 AM
>You didn't address any of my points
>You didn't answer any of questions
>We could have discussed the issue...but you chose to
>deflect

I didn't deflect anything.

You posted a spastic off-topic and condescending rant that was full of projections about things that I never said. This wasn't worthy of a response. What question(s) did you ask that I avoided? I see a grand total of one question in your response which had nothing to do with the topic at hand.

You accused me of 'questioning' her decision to pull out when it's spelled out in plain English that I did nothing of the sort. Quite the opposite in fact.

If someone doesn't want to engage with you then consider the possibility that your approach was seriously off-putting. Which it was.
2743962, there are some ppl here whose thoughts i value and respect
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jul-28-21 10:32 AM
you arent one of them
2743916, man that sucks
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Jul-27-21 09:30 AM
she didn't look like her usual unbeatable self on sunday night.

after watching super freaks biles and raisman in the last olympics this year's team looks very mortal.
2743924, LMAO….rigged
Posted by Deebot, Tue Jul-27-21 10:27 AM
100 percent.
2743945, JFC. Too much swimming.
Posted by dagu, Tue Jul-27-21 08:39 PM
2743947, I was shocked they didn't put the gymnastics final round after swimming
Posted by 3xKrazy, Tue Jul-27-21 09:15 PM
but was quite happy to be able to turn it off once gymnastics was over so I could get to bed early.

have no interest in watching people flop around in a pool. just my feelings on the matter.
2743948, I don't mind a few races but it's too fucking much.
Posted by dagu, Tue Jul-27-21 09:32 PM
Not having Phelps around trying to win absolutely everything kills almost all of my interest.
2743946, Am I the only one who thinks Tirico brings nothing to everything?
Posted by dagu, Tue Jul-27-21 08:40 PM
I cannot stand that guy and he's absolutely everywhere.
2743958, hopefully he retires after this and they let Maria takeover
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-28-21 09:33 AM
2743951, simone biles withdraws from all-around competition.
Posted by Soldado, Wed Jul-28-21 01:48 AM
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1420274109749993472
2743979, wild how some people think she doesn’t want to lose
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-28-21 01:46 PM
More like she doesn’t want to lose the ability to walk and move her limbs.

Folks acting like gymnastics is baseball or shooting FT’s.

Losing your self in the air while twisting and turning has to be scary as hell.

I hate fans who question athletes who step back for mental health reasons or don’t push themselves one they have an injury. I used to be one of those fans as well.

2743982, Seriously, it’s really no one’s place to question her.
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Jul-28-21 02:41 PM
None of us can comprehend the amount of pressure she’s been under for the last 5 years. Add to that the fact that she’s part of the reason there was a necessary shakeup in USA gymnastics due to the abuse her and others faced, and yeah, there’s bound to be a lot going on in her mind. She was probably conflicted about even competing for USA, but she loves gymnastics and wants to compete, so she gave it a go. She’s already done more than enough for this country, and her teammates ain’t mad at her, so everyone else should leave her be.
2743987, I wonder how much not having family, friends and fans there
Posted by calij81, Wed Jul-28-21 04:37 PM
Also has contributed to this. Athletes, especially world class athletes are always under an immense amount of pressure but they typically always have their family, friends, loved ones and fans there to help support them.

Correct if I’m wrong, but I don’t think any of her family or BF were allowed to come with her and that would make things like this even more difficult to deal with. Sure you can talk to your coaches and teammates but it isn’t the same as talking and being with your family and loved ones when you need that extra support.
2743985, It's only the usual suspects saying this.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-28-21 04:33 PM
The Clay Travises, the Piers Morgans, the Jason Whitlocks, the usual right-wing brigade of backwards-ass morons. I've (thankfully) yet to see an intelligent person questioning her motivations.
2743997, we arent talking about an inability to deal with normal life
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jul-28-21 05:50 PM
if she has the yips and she lost the edge needed to compete at that level, but is able to function as a normal human being, she isnt experiencing a "mental health" issue. she would be experiencing an "athlete who doesnt have it anymore" issue.

the emotional fallout of that could certainly *become* a mental health issue, and i hope she has the support around her to help her process the fact that she is unable to do the thing she loves, potentially permanently.

but gymnastics is definitely like every other sport in the basic sense of requiring mind/body synchronicity. the difference between kicking a field goal and doing a vault, at its core, is minimal. and when kickers lose it, its on to the next one without any hand wringing about "mental health".
2744007, I'd compare it more to a F-1 driver
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jul-28-21 07:59 PM
>but gymnastics is definitely like every other sport in the
>basic sense of requiring mind/body synchronicity. the
>difference between kicking a field goal and doing a vault, at
>its core, is minimal. and when kickers lose it, its on to the
>next one without any hand wringing about "mental health".

missing a bunch of field goals doesn't get you paralyzed. being off on a vault or racing at 200 mph does.
2744014, thats true, but i dont think it changes much
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jul-28-21 08:38 PM
no longer being able to safely race an F-1 car isnt a mental health crisis either

2744019, are you her psychiatrist?
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Jul-28-21 09:34 PM
>no longer being able to safely race an F-1 car isnt a mental
>health crisis either
>

no one knows what's going on in her brain besides her, so trying to diagnose her on a message board is super weird. also I don't know why she necessarily needs to be going through a crisis in order to be making an informed decision. mental health is a complicated matter and there's really no reason to believe she's lying or stretching the truth.
2744022, who is diagnosing her?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Jul-28-21 10:28 PM
all i said was that shes an athlete who cant hack it anymore, but i dont think any of us need to be trained professinals to recognize that condition when we see it

the only diagnosis came from her when she herself said she had the yips.

again, if she were an NFL kicker we would all be laughing at her
2744026, I mean, she didn’t say “the yips,” but sure
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Jul-28-21 11:47 PM
>again, if she were an NFL kicker we would all be laughing at
>her

She was describing her brain not being able to control her body while in mid-air. That has far bigger consequences than simply missing a field goal.
2744028, thats not really relevant
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 07:29 AM

>She was describing her brain not being able to control her
>body while in mid-air. That has far bigger consequences than
>simply missing a field goal.

all it means is that her sport is too dangerous to shoot her way out of it in live competition

but this is sports issue, not a wellness issue.
2744079, But you’re still assuming we have the full picture of her mental health
Posted by pretentious username, Thu Jul-29-21 01:26 PM

>all it means is that her sport is too dangerous to shoot her
>way out of it in live competition
>
>but this is sports issue, not a wellness issue.

You’ve taken one quote from her and chalked it up to a sports issue and not a wellness issue. Again, only she know what’s going on in her brain, and she frankly doesn’t owe us a detailed explanation.
2744083, great point. seems better off to not speculate one way or the other
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jul-29-21 03:27 PM
>Again, only she know
>what’s going on in her brain, and she frankly doesn’t owe
>us a detailed explanation.

what happened on the vault the other night is just a blip on the radar of her day to day mental health.

2744031, but she isn’t a FG kicker. That is a stupid comparison
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-29-21 08:35 AM
Not sure how anyone can question her competitiveness after all she has done for the sport.

2744042, no one is actually questioning her competitiveness tho
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 10:03 AM
i dont even know how you could draw that conclusion
2744018, do the potential physical ramifications of screwing up
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Jul-28-21 09:26 PM
make it any more or less of a mental health issue?

also was she so out of it mentally that she was no longer able to bail out safely from a missed attempt? this is something that you're trained to do.

>missing a bunch of field goals doesn't get you paralyzed.
>being off on a vault or racing at 200 mph does.
2744024, I'm not really interested in dissecting the semantics of mental health
Posted by will_5198, Wed Jul-28-21 11:26 PM
which receives much more negative connation than positive support in the first place, no matter how you want to qualify it.

but I did feel compelled to defend the extreme physical danger of gymnastics. the penalties for not being in peak condition mentally and physically can be pretty catastrophic, unlike say, shanking a penalty kick in soccer (and we could probably have more compassion for them too, if there's something underlying. although I'll probably go back to making fun of Aaron Rodgers tomorrow).
2744027, Missing FGs or jump shots isn’t the Yips
Posted by bentagain, Thu Jul-29-21 06:08 AM
Being unable to kick the ball or shoot the ball would be the yips
and I don’t know that I’ve seen that TBH
So those are terrible analogies

The most famous case of the yips I can recall is Mackey Sasser
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hURkoqx0pg4
He replaced Gary Carter for the Mets…I believe
He was a good catcher
…and over time he developed the yips and eventually was unable to throw the ball back to the pitcher…
He didn’t go into a slump at the plate…which wouldn’t be the yips
He could not get the ball back to the pitcher
and it was absolutely mental

A more recent example is Chuck Knoblauch (sp?)
All-star 2nd baseman
Eventually becomes unable to throw the ball to first
He didn’t go into a slump at the plate…which wouldn’t be the yips
He could not throw the ball to first base

Missing a shot or a kick is not the yips
Scott Norwood did not have the yips…he just missed a kick
Now if he was unable to kick a ball
Or developed a routine that delayed kicking the ball to the point it was always blocked
That would be the yips

I really don’t understand the motive for downplaying what’s going on with Biles
She had a mental block that is keeping her from performing at her normal level
Physically, she can do it
To say it’s not mental is ignorant.

2744032, some people simply lack empathy when it comes to sports
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-29-21 08:39 AM
they think if you remove yourself, you are a quitter.

I also have think her sex and race have something to do with it.

They believe she is here to entertain us at all cost and would rather see her fuck herself up for their entertainment than protect herself.

2744040, has anyone here expressed these opinions? if so pls point it out thx
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jul-29-21 09:49 AM
>they think if you remove yourself, you are a quitter.
>
>I also have think her sex and race have something to do with
>it.
>
>They believe she is here to entertain us at all cost and would
>rather see her fuck herself up for their entertainment than
>protect herself.
2744045, yes thats is true. no one here expressed ANY of that.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 10:25 AM
2744077, ^^^ hit dawgs
Posted by bentagain, Thu Jul-29-21 12:23 PM
Ya’ll doing the most.
2744293, really I'm just impressed that you still post on this site
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jul-29-21 11:01 PM
that devin booker thread may have been the most embarrassing ass beating ive ever seen here. I prob would've just cancelled my internet after that.

2744038, and this was entirely my point
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jul-29-21 09:46 AM
> (and we could probably
>have more compassion for them too, if there's something
>underlying)

If you make it simply about the physical risks of failing then you toss every other athlete under the bus. Which you'd think, given everyone's absolute truest concern for mental health, would completely fly in the face of what they apparently stand for.

But ya, this is mostly a semantical convo. Interest levels aside, some people are mature enough to have that convo. Others not so much.
2744047, right
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 10:26 AM
thats a roundabout way of saying that a kicker who cant align his mind and body for his task is somehow having less of a problem than sinone biles, and its completely not true
2744015, https://www.health.com/condition/mental-health-conditions/simone-biles-twisties-gymnastics
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-28-21 08:59 PM
https://www.health.com/condition/mental-health-conditions/simone-biles-twisties-gymnastics
2744061, Right, that article clearly shows how her issue *is* mental.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 11:12 AM
And if someone wants to debate the difference between "a mental health issue" and "a mental block that creates anxiety and a feedback loop that worsens said mental block"... then that's their right, I suppose.
2744062, no one said otherwise.
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 11:16 AM
in fact, that article is almost an exact mirror of what I posted yesterday regarding mind/body synchronicity.

but if someone doesnt want to understand the difference between performance and wellness...then thats their right, I suppose.
2744075, Honest question: why are you going so hard in this post?
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 12:10 PM
A young athlete said she wasn't there mentally. She specifically cited both the pressure she felt and fear of injury due to "the twisties." Do you really think that neither of those things has an immediate impact on a young person in the public eye's mental wellness?

You say her mind is not lining up with her body, and that's not a mental health issue-- but do you really think for a person dealing with such enormous nationwide pressure, and for a person in a sport where injuries can be debilitating and/or deadly, that one's mind not lining up with one's body isn't something that negatively impacts mental health? Is the only parameter in which we're allowed to be concerned about an athlete's mental wellness when they are no longer, as you said, "able to function as a normal human being"?

I also think it's worth contextualizing that we saw her doing amazing, unparalleled gymnastics feats in competition on TV, like, a couple weeks ago. This isn't, as you said, like a kicker who can't make field goal kicks anymore. And we've seen plenty of athletes in all sports go through slumps/"the yips"/whatever but who were still capable of competing after breaking through whatever they went through. Are we not allowed to trust when an athlete says she's physically capable of completely the task but going through mental issues at present? Doesn't leaping from her saying "mentally, I'm not there" to saying "she's an athlete who doesn't have it anymore" require making assumptions about what's happening insider her head that we can't really make from home?

I know you're a reasonable dude who doesn't troll on here, so I know you're arguing in earnest... I just don't really understand why there's a need to go so hard to make the distinction you're bent on making. It's coming across as unsympathetic-- and I know that's not your goal.
2744029, some wilde takes in here from people who are obviously not mental heath...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-29-21 07:35 AM
professionals. It should be a good thing that people are actually addressing it instead saying they're "crazy" or "choked" or have the "yips" or just "unable to handle the pressure".

We've seen things from everyone from Chuck Knoblauch, to Rick Ankiel to Scott Norwood to Paul George and multiple other athletes not being able to perform at the level they were before and we have sometimes seen their lives spiral out of control off the field/court.

From day 1 athletes are coached to be "mentally tough" and the all-time greats are celebrated for that. There is an opposite end of the spectrum that is dismissed as "mentally weak".

Even the great ones can have mental issues. There are some people that would say MJ had some faults in regards to how he dealt with some teammates and overall competitiveness. If you ask me Aaron Rodgers is struggling with some things.

Beyonce' and other major musical performers have cancelled concerts because they were "mentally fatigued" and are usually criticized for it.

There are stories of Wall Street people committing suicide when things didn't pan the way they expected them to.

People wanting to take mental health days in "regular" jobs are still looked at strangely in some circles.

Old military vets like myself joke about the "stress cards" that were issued in basic training in the 90's.
2744033, extremely wild takes
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-29-21 08:42 AM
its like they are trying to make up for allstah’s absence

2744034, that's why I had to put the "e" on the end lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-29-21 08:46 AM
2744035, Yea. Folks here seem to think of mental health as mental health episodes
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Jul-29-21 09:08 AM
This is an important convo and one I'm just figuring out myself as a lifelong athlete --but even longer human being.

As an athlete im acutely aware of how I feel physically every day. And that is a spectrum. When I wake up in the morning, I can personally make a guess of how I'm feeling that day; for example on a scale of 0-100%. There are many factors that go into that -- but overall that is my health. Some days I don't get enough sleep, I worked out to hard, didn't eat well -- and they all factor into my health. I don't have to have some injury to say I/m not 100%.

My personal understanding of my own mental health is working toward that same principal. I don't need to be in some deep depression or have a panic attack to say I'm having mental health issues. Maybe I didn't sleep well and my physical health contributes to mental health. Maybe I argued with my wife and that shit is on my mind, or my kids are wilding the fuck out. Does that mean I need to take a day off of work? Not necessarily, but sometimes I do.

I don't think you need the yips or some other breakdown that other people can see to say you aren;'t at 100% or even 90% mental health.

There is a spectrum and range and mental health issues does not equal mental health episodes and breakdowns

While I appreciate some of the nuance of the conversation above. I don't think the determination of my own mental health should also fall onto the place of "will I get severely injured or die if I mess this up?"

Its ok to just not feel right - most times I push through, but now learning that I don't have to every time.
2744048, theres another side of what you said
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 10:30 AM
none of it is untrue or invalid, but conflating the inability to perform a complex set of motor tasks under real or perceived pressure, is not the same someones state of wellness

its just not.

what you are describing is your day to day life. not your sense of proprioception that had been tuned to a level FAR beyond regular folks, and just isnt firing like it used to
2744082, Now this is how you contribute to a discussion. Good post.
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jul-29-21 03:22 PM
>This is an important convo and one I'm just figuring out
>myself as a lifelong athlete --but even longer human being.
>
>As an athlete im acutely aware of how I feel physically every
>day. And that is a spectrum. When I wake up in the morning, I
>can personally make a guess of how I'm feeling that day; for
>example on a scale of 0-100%. There are many factors that go
>into that -- but overall that is my health. Some days I don't
>get enough sleep, I worked out to hard, didn't eat well -- and
>they all factor into my health. I don't have to have some
>injury to say I/m not 100%.
>
>My personal understanding of my own mental health is working
>toward that same principal. I don't need to be in some deep
>depression or have a panic attack to say I'm having mental
>health issues. Maybe I didn't sleep well and my physical
>health contributes to mental health. Maybe I argued with my
>wife and that shit is on my mind, or my kids are wilding the
>fuck out. Does that mean I need to take a day off of work? Not
>necessarily, but sometimes I do.
>
>
>I don't think you need the yips or some other breakdown that
>other people can see to say you aren;'t at 100% or even 90%
>mental health.
>
>There is a spectrum and range and mental health issues does
>not equal mental health episodes and breakdowns
>
>
>While I appreciate some of the nuance of the conversation
>above. I don't think the determination of my own mental health
>should also fall onto the place of "will I get severely
>injured or die if I mess this up?"
>
>Its ok to just not feel right - most times I push through, but
>now learning that I don't have to every time.
2744044, oh please lol
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 10:24 AM
the Josh Gordon saga pretty clearly showed that im one of the few people here who actually knows something about psychology and mental health as an academic/scientific concept, and can talk about it without projecting my own shit onto it

>We've seen things from everyone from Chuck Knoblauch, to Rick
>Ankiel to Scott Norwood to Paul George and multiple other
>athletes not being able to perform at the level they were
>before and we have sometimes seen their lives spiral out of
>control off the field/court.

i clearly addressed this in a previous post so idk wtf you think youre saying here

>From day 1 athletes are coached to be "mentally tough" and the
>all-time greats are celebrated for that. There is an opposite
>end of the spectrum that is dismissed as "mentally weak".

no one called her weak though. thats you projecting.

>Even the great ones can have mental issues. There are some
>people that would say MJ had some faults in regards to how he
>dealt with some teammates and overall competitiveness. If you
>ask me Aaron Rodgers is struggling with some things.

sport performance is not wellness. period.

>Beyonce' and other major musical performers have cancelled
>concerts because they were "mentally fatigued" and are usually
>criticized for it.

totally irrelevant. no one here did that

>There are stories of Wall Street people committing suicide
>when things didn't pan the way they expected them to.

oh you mean when their entire livelihoods are threatened?

>People wanting to take mental health days in "regular" jobs
>are still looked at strangely in some circles.

this aint one of those circles
2744050, I wasn't talking directly to you but they say a hit dog will holler lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-29-21 10:31 AM
2744053, no you werent, because that would req a pair of nuts nm
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 10:47 AM
2744072, ooohhh!
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-29-21 12:00 PM
2744081, It's easier to project and get on your moral high horse
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Jul-29-21 03:16 PM
than it is to quote someone directly and honestly debate specific points.

I'm still confused as to whether some of these angry sanctimonious responses are directed in the general direction of right wing media or anything that's actually been said in this thread. If it's the latter, then it's rooted in delusion.

Like it would be a lot easier to find some right wing message board and go directly at the people you hate, rather than playing make believe here. It might be more fun/cathartic to go all in on an actual Klan member somewhere, I dunno.

2744318, people bring their own "stuff" into these conversations
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Jul-30-21 09:00 AM
plus, "mental health" is an abstract concept in the popular consciousness rather than a scientific concept
2744049, there was a program at a College my mom taught
Posted by upUPNorth, Thu Jul-29-21 10:31 AM
pretty much an adult co-op program only for re-entering the work force.

There were many examples of like, CEOs at major companies, breaking down and losing all they had and needing to learn how to start over. They'd get a placement as a Cash Register at a Grocery store and would have to get checked up on because they weren't even sure if they could manage a job like that again.
2744017, RE: Tokyo Olympics...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-28-21 09:08 PM
https://twitter.com/MissyAMarlowe/status/1420088071517659137?s=20
2744036, yeah, ive been reading from former gymnasts...
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jul-29-21 09:22 AM
that the "twisties" are very real and as soon as you experience them you basically have to shut it down or risk serious injury because you can't tell where you are in the air....

...and then even if you could figure it out somehow or just get lucky that you executed the move, the mental stress of doing something for so long that you now can't, or that is confusing or not coming naturally, is enough by itself.
2744054, SHE JUST HAD A FEAR OF LOSING
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-29-21 10:49 AM
these people sound dumb as fuck

I believe I read she was still in a position to win when she stepped away.

2744056, i mean, i feel you, but i'mma trust gymnasts over you.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jul-29-21 10:55 AM
if you care (you probably dont), The Ringer has a podcast for the Olympics and they had a journalist from the WaPo who is in Japan and is also a former gymnast who spoke on this whole situation, and who can and did explain this "twities" phenomenon way better than I can.

definitely not a fear of losing. the fact that she was in a position to win (the team was, really, not her) doesn't matter.

her performances would have continued to be bad because of this phenomenon which would have hurt the team even more and they probably wouldn't have medaled at all, and she could have potentially got seriously injured.

we'll see if she can get in a space to perform by the individual events next week. people who know say this can sometime take weeks or month to "fix".
2744069, That was sarcasm fam. Read the body of my post
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-29-21 11:36 AM
for the full opinion on this.
2744071, haha. my bad.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jul-29-21 11:56 AM
i did think it was an odd response from you. missed the sarcasm.

when you said "these people" i thought you meant the people talking about this phenomenon of the "twisties" (that's too happy of a word for something like this, LOL), not the trolls in this post.
2744078, She was still in a position to win when she stepped away
Posted by bentagain, Thu Jul-29-21 12:43 PM
I didn’t see the medal round, just rewatched ‘the vault’
I did watch the qualifying round
A testament to her greatness
She’s doing routines and moves that are so difficult
…she actually stepped off the mat on one of her vaults…
Next girl did the same vault…and got a lower score
LOL
I wouldn’t doubt if she was in the lead
Nobody is doing what she does
That double pike vault would’ve been a gold medal lock
2744063, me, yesterday:
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-29-21 11:17 AM
"the emotional fallout of that could certainly *become* a mental health issue, and i hope she has the support around her to help her process the fact that she is unable to do the thing she loves, potentially permanently."
2744030, Suni! SE Asian!!!!
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Jul-29-21 07:56 AM
2744039, super happy for her.
Posted by PROMO, Thu Jul-29-21 09:48 AM
2744043, HMONG!
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Jul-29-21 10:16 AM
Straight out of the Eastside of St. Paul (one of the roughest parts of the city) to the gold medal!
Hometown pride!
Hell yeah Suni!
2744046, Dude, this video legit made my day…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 10:25 AM
https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/1420731173714726912?s=20
2744051, Man that gave me chills.
Posted by Hitokiri, Thu Jul-29-21 10:37 AM
I will always tell you I'm from Minneapolis (and if you're not from here, it's a meaningless distinction), but I also grew up in St. Paul, primarily when I was young. Hmong people are one of the largest ethnic groups in St. Paul (less of them in Minneapolis, but they've still got a presence), and I grew up around them my whole life. Most of the country only knows about Hmong folks because of Gran Torino, if at all. So this is the biggest pedestal, most shine they've every gotten. Suni is their brightest star and I'm so happy for St. Paul, the eastside, for Suni and for the Hmong community!

This is incredible.
2744074, I thought you’d appreciate that, that’s an awesome connection
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 12:08 PM
2744052, Seeing her win and her story brought real tears to me
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Thu Jul-29-21 10:42 AM
>https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/1420731173714726912?s=20

I don't really remember another athlete story doing that for me -- from my Asian favorites: Yao, Lin, Shohei.

But I saw her win that gold and I just welled up because my connection to the Hmong Community and experience as a SE Asian American along with my own relationship with my daughter.
2744055, that’s awesome
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-29-21 10:50 AM
2744073, Man that’s dope…I appreciate how you have repped, through the years
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 12:04 PM
2744133, RE: Seeing her win and her story brought real tears to me
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-29-21 05:53 PM
>>https://twitter.com/Gia_Vang/status/1420731173714726912?s=20
>
>I don't really remember another athlete story doing that for
>me -- from my Asian favorites: Yao, Lin, Shohei.
>
>But I saw her win that gold and I just welled up because my
>connection to the Hmong Community and experience as a SE Asian
>American along with my own relationship with my daughter.

Shohei is my favorite baseball player right now too lol, dude is a monster
2744390, Representation is everything
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Aug-01-21 01:47 AM
2744906, my hometown of Fresno, CA also has a large Hmong population
Posted by vik, Sun Aug-08-21 04:09 PM
I was super-hyped for this.
2744068, When I put my fitted tin foil cap on
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Jul-29-21 11:36 AM
I see that Cary has replaced Biles.

I read a story about how unfair it was for Cary to miss the finals in vault due to the 2 person rule.

Things that make me go hmmm… lol.

2744666, Simone Biles returns, medals in her first event back.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Aug-04-21 10:16 AM
As expected, this was not an issue of "she can't do this anymore." Great to see the time away helped her get her head right so she could get back out there safely and continue to achieve at the highest level.
2744902, That Saudi dude's kick should not have been a DQ....
Posted by Castro, Sun Aug-08-21 01:14 PM
Iranian dude walked into it.
2746571, Same tensity
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-16-21 02:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrlTUwl94b4
@60 minutes
ESPN had a headline on their webpage yesterday...which is already replaced
I would go so far as to say little to no coverage of this...but it's definitely not the same intensity as her pulling out with the yips
...hmmm...
2746579, RE: Same tensity
Posted by pretentious username, Thu Sep-16-21 04:01 PM
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrlTUwl94b4
>@60 minutes
>ESPN had a headline on their webpage yesterday...which is
>already replaced
>I would go so far as to say little to no coverage of
>this...but it's definitely not the same intensity as her
>pulling out with the yips
>...hmmm...

Honestly people treat the FBI and CIA as heroes just cause Trump criticized them. It's really gross and I wish people were smarter. The list of things they've fucked up is endless, yet there are never any consequences. In fact, every time they fuck up they get a bigger budget.
2746580, Direct correlation to the lack of journalistic integrity/investigative journalism
Posted by bentagain, Thu Sep-16-21 04:35 PM
investigative journalism

She said 'the biggest sex abuse scandal in sports ever'
...2 days later crickets...
Maybe we'll get a 30 for 30/Netflix doc 20 years from now
But compared to the level of coverage and vitriol when she had a mental block is blatant
Some intimated that her yips were a result of the abuse... which she pretty much confirms
It just really bothers me that this isn't a story, or being covered with the same veracity

They $hit on the goat because she is a sex abuse survivor (c) 'murica