Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Yeah, this is the end of the journey for CFB
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2743625&mesg_id=2743862
2743862, RE: Yeah, this is the end of the journey for CFB
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Jul-26-21 02:28 PM
>I think the SEC/Texas/Oklahoma just had its Icarus moment and
>killed CFB.
>
>If the majority of D1 programs get left behind then I could
>see viewership for CFB really begin to decline in the next 2-5
>years.
>
>Do the top 24 schools have the amount of fans/alums to sustain
>its existence and more importantly TV viewership once other
>CFB program fans checkout?
>
>I can say right now, if Cal doesn’t play in a P5/Super
>league I doubt I’m watching CFB anymore and I’m sure I
>wouldn’t be the only one.

I live in the South. I graduated from LSU. The years I spent there (late 90s) was very different than what LSU and the SEC is now. There were always great teams but the SEC love/hate/interest/power was nowhere near what it is now.

I can totally see how a chunk of the talent being lined up in one region AND conference is a problem for the sport as a whole. Still, I'm of the opinion that CFB has been a mess for a loooooooong time. IE: teams having light schedules on purpose. Teams milking tradition and bias to hide behind inflated preseason ranks. West coast teams being at a disadvantage when their games are on super late. Before BCS, we for real had people voting for who they thought the top team was and that was the champ..ridiculous.

This is just the newest mess. The conferences being in business for themselves was always an issue. Now there's just a different conference throwing their weight around and giving themselves advantages (and money) over everything else.