Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThey have to pay CP3. They don't really have a choice, imo.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2743593&mesg_id=2743618
2743618, They have to pay CP3. They don't really have a choice, imo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-21-21 02:25 PM
>It's going to be interesting with Paul. You can see him
>wanting and expecting another max deal, but he's 36 with LOTS
>of injuries. It's clear that he sure as shit helped the Suns
>make it to the Finals, but I don't know what other contender
>would sign him to a long-term deal, except, like, the Knicks
>if they miss out on Lillard and everyone else. Cp3 would
>probably be best off taking a pay cut to stay on the Suns or
>take less money to play on the Lakers or something.

CP3 so perfectly matches what the Suns want to do, and clearly he has terrific chemistry with both Booker and Ayton. It's gonna be realllllllly hard to max a guy at his age. Even coming off the performance he just gave in the playoffs (something like 23 and 9 in the last three rounds). So Phoenix would definitely have to stop and think about it.

If I'm CP3 and I really want to stay in Phoenix to remain in contention (because you're right, no real contender if paying CP3 a max deal)... I ask for one of two things:

1. a big money 2-year deal. If it doesn't work out, CP3 can still vet min deal with a contender for a year or two until he's completely washed.
2. an extended non-max deal with guaranteed money but paid out over, like, 5 years. This would allow Phoenix to stretch their money so they can pursue a couple of supporting bench pieces in free agency a little more easily, so the roster would be better and it would give CP3 the knowledge that he's getting paid until he's over the hill, lol.

If I'm Phoenix, I'd be stoked about #2. It wouldn't cost much up front, and paying him down the line is Future Person Problems-- it's also likely a pretty tradeable deal if it doesn't work out if the annual cost is fairly reasonable. #1 would be great for the long term cap flexibility-- if it doesn't work out next year, he's an awesome expiring contract-- but also feels like it'd have the potential to create a little more uncertainty about the Suns' core, and the chemistry was just so good this season. I wouldn't want to fuck that up.

Ultimately, and I know a couple of people here would kill me for saying it... but they're the Suns. They don't have a title. They hadn't made the Finals in nearly three decades. And there's no replacement for CP3 on the market-- there just isn't. So whatever he asks for, you probably just have to pay. Regardless of age, regardless of what happens years down the line. Because without CP3 next season, you're in Perennial Six Seed At Best Mode for the rest of Booker/Ayton's deals. And losing CP3 and getting worse likely wouldn't make Booker and Ayton super happy. So keep everyone happy. Pay now, contend now, worry later.

And if people adamantly say "no! get rid of him!"... then they need to pitch the realistic plan that gets Phoenix to stay in contention without him. I don't think one exists.

>Otherwise, the Warriors are going to need a young, athletic
>big like Wiseman, especially since we're in the same
>conference as guys like Jokic, Ayton, and Davis. So trading
>Wiseman and the picks for someone like Ben Simmons would be a
>waste.

The concern about Wiseman is precisely about the Jokic/Ayton/Davis matchups in the immediate future, though. He's still very clearly a project, and with the core all above 31, you've got to think the Warriors want to contend for titles, like, in the next two years, realistically. If you think Wiseman is Ayton-level good in the next two years, you keep him, for sure. But if you don't?

I think dealing him for Simmons in that scenario is really interesting-- especially because I trust the Warriors waaaaaay more than the Sixers in terms of getting the most out of his considerable skill set. I mean, shit, the Warriors have turned Andrew Wiggins into a not-horrible player. Imagine what they can do with an All-Defense All-Star if they can give him renewed confidence and teach him to be not awful at FT shooting. Dray could do wonders with Simmons.

That said, I'm also a guy who thinks switchable big players like Dray and Simmons have way more value than drop coverage bigs. Especially in the playoffs. So I'm admittedly biased. But man, if all Simmons needs is a change of scenery and he gets to the right spot? It's gonna be huge for that team.

I also don't really know who I love for the Warriors with the picks. Like, Bouknight and Duarte, maybe, if they're both there? Think that'd probably be the best case scenario? There just won't be too many win-now pieces on the board. The future value for a bad team is way higher than the immediate in this year's draft outside of the top 5.