Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectNBA Off-season Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2743593
2743593, NBA Off-season Post
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-21-21 10:22 AM
Well…it’s that time. The NBA never stops. What’s gonna pop off, this summer? Who’s on the move? Where does Ben play? Is Dame serious about leaving? Suns resigning Chris? Does Lowry finally become a Laker?
2743605, All indications are lots of S&Ts and player movement
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Jul-21-21 12:40 PM
I love the offseason. Let’s go.
2743609, Chris Paul and other stuff
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Jul-21-21 01:13 PM
It's going to be interesting with Paul. You can see him wanting and expecting another max deal, but he's 36 with LOTS of injuries. It's clear that he sure as shit helped the Suns make it to the Finals, but I don't know what other contender would sign him to a long-term deal, except, like, the Knicks if they miss out on Lillard and everyone else. Cp3 would probably be best off taking a pay cut to stay on the Suns or take less money to play on the Lakers or something.

Now, of course I'm mostly interested in the Warriors. Priority #1 is resigning Steph this off-season so that he doesn't enter the open market next year. So they'll offer him another supermax, which he'll deserve. There's some pipe-dreams out there about him giving the team a hometown discount, but it won't happen and it shouldn't anyway. Besides, I don't know if it would make much of a difference, cap-wise, considering all the other deals/players we've got signed.

Pundits have been saying that the Warriors NEED to package Wiseman and the picks and go after a big free agent in a sign and trade. They're wrong. They ONLY exceptions would be if you could get Kawhi or Dame, but neither of those are happening. Otherwise, the Warriors are going to need a young, athletic big like Wiseman, especially since we're in the same conference as guys like Jokic, Ayton, and Davis. So trading Wiseman and the picks for someone like Ben Simmons would be a waste.

In terms of depth, two good first round picks can go a long way. Oubre should really except a coming off the bench role and re-sign. Then the team really needs to pursue a David West veteran-type. If that all can happen, I think the Warriors would be in good shape.
2743618, They have to pay CP3. They don't really have a choice, imo.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-21-21 02:25 PM
>It's going to be interesting with Paul. You can see him
>wanting and expecting another max deal, but he's 36 with LOTS
>of injuries. It's clear that he sure as shit helped the Suns
>make it to the Finals, but I don't know what other contender
>would sign him to a long-term deal, except, like, the Knicks
>if they miss out on Lillard and everyone else. Cp3 would
>probably be best off taking a pay cut to stay on the Suns or
>take less money to play on the Lakers or something.

CP3 so perfectly matches what the Suns want to do, and clearly he has terrific chemistry with both Booker and Ayton. It's gonna be realllllllly hard to max a guy at his age. Even coming off the performance he just gave in the playoffs (something like 23 and 9 in the last three rounds). So Phoenix would definitely have to stop and think about it.

If I'm CP3 and I really want to stay in Phoenix to remain in contention (because you're right, no real contender if paying CP3 a max deal)... I ask for one of two things:

1. a big money 2-year deal. If it doesn't work out, CP3 can still vet min deal with a contender for a year or two until he's completely washed.
2. an extended non-max deal with guaranteed money but paid out over, like, 5 years. This would allow Phoenix to stretch their money so they can pursue a couple of supporting bench pieces in free agency a little more easily, so the roster would be better and it would give CP3 the knowledge that he's getting paid until he's over the hill, lol.

If I'm Phoenix, I'd be stoked about #2. It wouldn't cost much up front, and paying him down the line is Future Person Problems-- it's also likely a pretty tradeable deal if it doesn't work out if the annual cost is fairly reasonable. #1 would be great for the long term cap flexibility-- if it doesn't work out next year, he's an awesome expiring contract-- but also feels like it'd have the potential to create a little more uncertainty about the Suns' core, and the chemistry was just so good this season. I wouldn't want to fuck that up.

Ultimately, and I know a couple of people here would kill me for saying it... but they're the Suns. They don't have a title. They hadn't made the Finals in nearly three decades. And there's no replacement for CP3 on the market-- there just isn't. So whatever he asks for, you probably just have to pay. Regardless of age, regardless of what happens years down the line. Because without CP3 next season, you're in Perennial Six Seed At Best Mode for the rest of Booker/Ayton's deals. And losing CP3 and getting worse likely wouldn't make Booker and Ayton super happy. So keep everyone happy. Pay now, contend now, worry later.

And if people adamantly say "no! get rid of him!"... then they need to pitch the realistic plan that gets Phoenix to stay in contention without him. I don't think one exists.

>Otherwise, the Warriors are going to need a young, athletic
>big like Wiseman, especially since we're in the same
>conference as guys like Jokic, Ayton, and Davis. So trading
>Wiseman and the picks for someone like Ben Simmons would be a
>waste.

The concern about Wiseman is precisely about the Jokic/Ayton/Davis matchups in the immediate future, though. He's still very clearly a project, and with the core all above 31, you've got to think the Warriors want to contend for titles, like, in the next two years, realistically. If you think Wiseman is Ayton-level good in the next two years, you keep him, for sure. But if you don't?

I think dealing him for Simmons in that scenario is really interesting-- especially because I trust the Warriors waaaaaay more than the Sixers in terms of getting the most out of his considerable skill set. I mean, shit, the Warriors have turned Andrew Wiggins into a not-horrible player. Imagine what they can do with an All-Defense All-Star if they can give him renewed confidence and teach him to be not awful at FT shooting. Dray could do wonders with Simmons.

That said, I'm also a guy who thinks switchable big players like Dray and Simmons have way more value than drop coverage bigs. Especially in the playoffs. So I'm admittedly biased. But man, if all Simmons needs is a change of scenery and he gets to the right spot? It's gonna be huge for that team.

I also don't really know who I love for the Warriors with the picks. Like, Bouknight and Duarte, maybe, if they're both there? Think that'd probably be the best case scenario? There just won't be too many win-now pieces on the board. The future value for a bad team is way higher than the immediate in this year's draft outside of the top 5.

2743611, lots of decent free agent options at PG
Posted by guru0509, Wed Jul-21-21 01:25 PM
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

2743617, Dame for Khris and Jrue. Who says no?
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-21-21 02:22 PM
Haven't looked at contracts or any of that, but if that was offered as the principle deal, who says no, and who should?

IMO that would be just about the best deal Portland would get.
2743619, Milwaukee should 100% say no to that.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-21-21 02:29 PM
A 20-6-5 wing who shoots over 40% from 3 and isn't a total liability on defense is such a commodity in today's NBA. As is an 18-5-6 PG who has the potential to lock down the opposing PG.

Dame's the best player of the three, obviously... but I'm not convinced that a Dame-DiVincenzo-Tucker-Giannis-Lopez lineup is better and more balanced on both ends than a Jrue-DiVincenzo-Middleton-Giannis-Lopez lineup. And since they just won the title, no reason to rock the boat imo. Run it back til the wheels fall off.

I also don't think Portland would do that either, truthfully, because Jrue-CJ-Powell-Middleton-Nurkic or whatever doesn't have a great deal of upside. Middleton and Jrue are perfectly positioned as great second and third options on a title contender... I don't think either of them is the top guy on a contender. Much more value in a system than on their own.
2743620, Need to add McCollum in there contracts wise
Posted by Mack, Wed Jul-21-21 02:35 PM
and if I was the Bucks, I'd still say no. If it ain't broke...
2743623, I believe Dame said he wants to go to Philly or NYK.
Posted by Soldado, Wed Jul-21-21 03:46 PM
2743632, the Bucks would be stupid to say yes
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-21-21 05:19 PM
2743624, I hope Warriors get Simmons and ship off Draymond.
Posted by Soldado, Wed Jul-21-21 03:55 PM
I'm not that high on Simmons as a whole, but as a Draymond replacement he'd be an upgrade. He could play anything from the 3 to the small ball 5, great D (pause), better scorer, can run offense through him like Draymond (Simmons is a better decision maker with the ball), etc.

If you have him and Dray on the same team though, he loses a lot of his value, as you now have another non-shooter clogging up the offense and not doing much off the ball.

2743627, I disagree re: Dray and Ben.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-21-21 05:07 PM
First off, I think Dray gives a lot of value off ball, because he's such a dynamic passer and playmaker, and he reads the game at such a high level. Yes, you can't have him just camp out at the 3 point line, because he won't space defenses, but the Warriors don't do that with him much anyway. Opposing teams can't just let Dray catch and operate at his own pace in the half court, because Dray's too good at finding the opportunities for himself and others.

Second, the Warriors play one of the fastest paces in the NBA, and Ben Simmons is elite, full stop, in transition. They don't need to do much settling into half court sets with freaks like Ben and Dray running the court, with their size and live dribble passing. They'd be a top 3 offense minimum with Ben and Dray running the break.

Third, Dray seems to me to be the *perfect* mentor for a guy like Ben. If a torch is to be passed, and I agree it's a good idea for the Warriors to plan on that happening, then why not learn from the absolute best?

Fourth, the Warriors helped Andrew Wiggins be a non-negative impact player-- and helped him shoot the best percentage of his career. If anyone can help Ben become a not-awful shooter, it's probably them. Furthermore, the spacing Ben would see from being on a floor with Steph and Klay would open all sorts of dribble drive opportunities for him. The offense clogging isn't much of a concern if two of the players are the best 3 point shooters on the planet.

Fifth, if they trade Dray, they're not trading Wiseman, and I definitely don't think a Ben and Wiseman lineup is better than a Ben and Dray lineup.
2743693, crazy that this is about a #1 overall
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-22-21 06:29 PM
>the Warriors helped Andrew Wiggins be a non-negative
>impact player
2743770, and that some people don't want Simmons, another #1 overall!
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jul-24-21 12:29 PM
One that's made an All-Star team and an All-Defense team at that!
2743642, IT'S THE MOST WON-DERFUL TIIIIME OF THE YEAR!
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Jul-21-21 08:05 PM
Bulls fans are itching to see what AK does.

We need a PG and supposedly the AK and Eversley are going to be real aggressive in the next month.
2743643, i wouldn't be mad if they threw a bunch of money at lonzo.
Posted by RandomFact, Wed Jul-21-21 08:29 PM
a lonzo/zach/vuc core should have us competitive. can't ask for much more at this point. be competitive and start to build a winning culture and hope to get lucky with draft picks (especially from europe considering AK's ties) and/or free agents.

no idea what to think about pat williams. i can see him being a borderline all star if he breaks out of his shell, but he may not be that kind of guy. hard to tell considering he was one of the younger (youngest?) players in the league last season. his only glaring weakness is his passiveness. maybe that is something that can be fixed with experience.
2743661, RE: i wouldn't be mad if they threw a bunch of money at lonzo.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Jul-22-21 08:31 AM
>a lonzo/zach/vuc core should have us competitive. can't ask
>for much more at this point. be competitive and start to build
>a winning culture and hope to get lucky with draft picks
>(especially from europe considering AK's ties) and/or free
>agents.

+ Kyle Lowry - no chance, cost too much.
+ Lonzo Ball - S&T w/ Lauri, but he'd have to agree to sign with the Pelicans. Plus we couldn't sign Theis and would maybe have to let Thad and/or Satoransky go.
+ Spencer Dinwiddie
+ Dennis Schroder

I'd be cool with any of these guys. ANYBODY that can set up the offense.

>no idea what to think about pat williams. i can see him being
>a borderline all star if he breaks out of his shell, but he
>may not be that kind of guy. hard to tell considering he was
>one of the younger (youngest?) players in the league last
>season.

There are SOOO many factors that go into play with how a young player develops. And with the previous regime, I always had very low expectations whenever we had a draft pick. Every year Paxson would come out with the excuse, "We don't know how good our guys are." That led me to believe that even if a kid WAS good, the Bulls didn't have the infrastructure in place to really help players reach their full potential.

I don't know enough about how this new Bulls front office works. It was great seeing both Williams and Donovan at a playoff game, so it seems like he's bought in. Physically Williams has all the tools to be at the very least a starter in this league. His defense alone does that. My thing is, kinda like Giannis, we may not know how good he is until maybe his 3rd or 4th year. Can/will the Bulls wait that long?
2743657, Pelicans have offered Ingram and picks for Dame…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-22-21 07:41 AM
https://twitter.com/LandonBuford/status/1418032906056970247?s=20
2743659, That seems like a bad trade for both teams.
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jul-22-21 08:01 AM
Lillard and Zion won't be enough to do anything serious out West and I'm assuming that would be a ton of picks the Pelicans would have to deal to swing that trade. Mortgaging the future of the franchise just to potentially languish and moderately improve in the present doesn't seem that prudent. I'm guessing if this rumor is real, David Griffin feels some pressure to try and improve the team immediately while Zion is there.

On the Portland side, making that move would pretty much signal that the franchise is waving the white flag and would be in rebuild mode since Ingram and picks isn't nearly enough of a return for Lillard.

*edit*

I should note that I didn't click the link, so there could be other details that I missed, such as a third team being involved. IMO, a three team trade is going to be necessary to swing a trade involving Lillard since his contract is relatively huge.
2743664, To be fair, the Pels have a *lot* of first round picks.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-22-21 09:51 AM
11 in the next seven seasons, at least. And while most of them will be low-first round because they're largely from Milwaukee and the Lakers... all it takes is one Giannis injury or AD injury to suddenly have an extra swing in the lottery. This is also assuming they don't sign-and-trade Lonzo, which would likely net them at least one additional pick.

I think Ingram and, say, five picks? That'd be a hell of a package for Dame. You're right that Portland wouldn't be in contention, but they aren't going to be able to deal Dame and stay in contention, that's a lost cause. May as well cash in as hard as you can on draft stock if you're sending him out.

As for New Orleans, yes, Zion and Dame also aren't enough to be in contention... but it'd definitely make New Orleans a *lot* more attractive to free agents. And, as you alluded to above, it'd keep Zion happy, which is the Pelicans' priority #1. Plus, they'd still have another six first round picks in the next seven seasons, so it wouldn't be a complete mortgage of the future.
2743694, Ingram and five 1sts would be an incredible haul
Posted by cgonz00cc, Thu Jul-22-21 06:32 PM
that would be impossible to pass up
2743660, Did Kawhi opt out?
Posted by bentagain, Thu Jul-22-21 08:06 AM
2743662, He said back during the season that he would…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-22-21 08:48 AM
only because it makes sense to…but he hasn’t, yet.
2743668, Lakers need a PG.
Posted by tariqhu, Thu Jul-22-21 10:59 AM
I hope it's not CP3.
2743682, I'm not a fan of the Westbrook rumors either
Posted by Mack, Thu Jul-22-21 03:05 PM
a trade for Dame would be great but I don't see that happening. DRose maybe???
2743685, I hope it is Westbrook.
Posted by guru0509, Thu Jul-22-21 03:37 PM
the drama that will ensue when LeBron grabs a rebound that hinders westbricks triple-double chances..

*birdman gif*

>a trade for Dame would be great but I don't see that
>happening. DRose maybe???
2743686, RE: Lakers need a PG.
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-22-21 03:56 PM
>I hope it's not CP3.

I hate CP3 too but I think he’d be a good fit
2743698, if it comes down to Russ or CP3 give me Russ a million times
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-22-21 07:02 PM
2743706, I'd think I'd rather have Lonzo back than overpay for either
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-22-21 08:46 PM
2743771, While you're right, I think Zo is gonna get a big paycheck this summer.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jul-24-21 12:30 PM
If the Lakers really want a PG that's Zo-quality or better, they're just gonna need to open that wallet.
2743707, I think Lowry would be a good fit
Posted by Vex_id, Thu Jul-22-21 08:49 PM

-->
2743767, Sources: Bradley Beal Considering Trade Request Before NBA Draft
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sat Jul-24-21 10:53 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2946317-sources-bradley-beal-considering-trade-request-before-nba-draft

"Beal does not have a proverbial list of preferred destinations, but it was mentioned by multiple sources that he would welcome joining teams such as Boston, Golden State, Miami or Philadelphia—although Beal requesting a trade would all but guarantee an expansive bidding war across the league. The number of potential destinations and interested suitors could span a significant portion of the NBA."
2743772, Apparently Siakam wants off the Raptors? That’s… a choice.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jul-24-21 01:13 PM
Not sure how many teams would tailor so much of their offense around what Siakam does as Toronto has done.

If the Raptors could get Simmons for Siakam and future picks, that’d be such a colossal grand fucking slam for Toronto.
2743870, We have a trade, folks…
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jul-26-21 03:51 PM
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1419757449448394752?s=20
2743871, Seems win win
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-26-21 04:25 PM
Pelicans get out from under 2 bad contracts, get a good player in JV, and only move down 7 spots. They’ll spend to keep Zion happy I’m sure.
2743874, I didn't think they could do anything until the new league year in August
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-26-21 04:33 PM
2743876, can’t be finalized til August 5th
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Jul-26-21 04:38 PM
2743882, Pelicans have Ball's bird rights
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Jul-26-21 06:08 PM
So why free up all this money for a guy that you would have had no problem getting anyway?

I think this is for Lowry.
2743883, Oh I think they're out of the Lonzo business.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-26-21 06:45 PM
All the smoke for Lonzo or Lowry to the Lakers never made sense - they both want to get paid, and as you said - the Pelicans have Lonzo's bird rights so why do this?

It's definitely to get a core of Zion/Lowry/Ingram + whatever else - they do have a lot of assets. They just freed up what, like 34 million? It was stupid of them to trade for and then IMMEDIATELY extend Steven Adams, but then again - better to fix the mistake instead of thinking it's a sunken cost I guess.
2743887, what do the Lakers get out of this?
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Jul-26-21 07:06 PM
2743888, Nothing?
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-26-21 07:34 PM
2743897, What does his post have to do with the Lakers?
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jul-27-21 12:56 AM
2743941, RE: What does his post have to do with the Lakers?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Jul-27-21 04:44 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
· Jul 26
BREAKING: Memphis is finalizing a trade to send Jonas Valanciunas and 2021 Nos. 17 and 51 picks to New Orleans for Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, 2021 picks Nos. 10 and 40 and a protected 2022 first-round pick via the Lakers, sources tell ESPN.
2743942, Oh dear god. We got Anthony Davis, two years ago.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jul-27-21 04:46 PM
2743959, I was just asking question about the specifics of the Lakers'...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-28-21 09:36 AM
involvement in the trade, I didn't realize it was for a pick they already traded.

Calm down.
2743976, lol, What's with you telling everyone to calm down
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-28-21 01:29 PM
Everyone is calm.

"oh dear lord" is some deadpan, facepalm shit.

It's not like I said OMG YOU FUCKING IDIOT HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID

Nobody is 1/10th as amped up as you seem to think they are when they interact with you.
2743984, I wasn't talking to "everyone"
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-28-21 03:35 PM
2743996, Oh dear god, I'm talking about your penchant for telling people
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-28-21 05:38 PM
to calm down

That's your consistent go-to.

2743894, If they think Lonzo is cheaper than Lowry…
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-26-21 09:24 PM
… then I think there’s a good shot they spend on Lonzo and pocket the rest for additional moves/pieces. Zion and Ingram both like Lonzo, and if they can get Lonzo for, say, 8 mil per year less than Lowry? I’d… strongly consider just keeping Lonzo.
2743899, Lowry isn't a great deal for them IMO.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jul-27-21 01:07 AM
Better to resign Zo, and keep evwryone within the same window.

I know, veteran leadership and whatnot. But i think that can be had for far, far cheaper.

But Lowry does not get them a title, and I think this is the year BI takes that all star step and becomes a nightmare for other teams to deal with.

Price tag aside, i just don't see how he makes sense for this team.

He's a guy a good team pays to get over that hump and got a title. Miami, Philly, either LA team, Boston, these make sense. Young teams trying to break into the playoffs? I just don't see the value of a guy like him vs a guy like Lonzo from a bit picture standpoint.
2744012, Agreed. Lowry would need to be paired with someone else.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-28-21 08:36 PM
And unless there are more moves ahead-- and maybe there are!-- then I don't really see the wisdom in bringing in Lowry unless your plan is to contend for a Top 4-5 seed in the west *next season.*
2743898, So they could sign someone else.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jul-27-21 01:00 AM
If they have his bird rights, they could sign someone else to fill other needs, and then either resogn him or sign and trade him.

There's no downside whatsoever to getting off a bad contract and clearing space, especially when you get a solid player like Jonas in the deal.
2744373, so you sayin they got Ball by the Birds? nm
Posted by poetx, Fri Jul-30-21 06:01 PM

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad
2743889, Steven Adams may not make sense on paper, but I don't trade him.
Posted by Castro, Mon Jul-26-21 07:38 PM
Valacuinas is nice but I think Adams was a better fit for the Pelicans.
2743893, They had serious paint crowding issues with Adams and Zion.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-26-21 09:19 PM
Jonas can help space the floor better. Adams is a better defender, but he alone won’t make that defense better. They gotta resolve those offense issues first, and Jonas definitely helps there. Plus now they can get off that dreadful Bledsoe contract— and this year, the 10th and 17th picks really aren’t that different.
2743936, Definitely get the Bledsoe part and the spacing thing makes sense
Posted by Castro, Tue Jul-27-21 03:03 PM
but I don't feel like trading Adams is going to solve that....I think Adams is better suited to be the banger in the post, especially if Zion is going to be playing point bully.

Adams is Chuck Norris for me...like no one is hard fouling a team with Steven Adams on the floor....or in the stadium.
2743954, This has nothing to do with the trade
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Jul-28-21 08:10 AM
but with Bledsoe being considered dead weight by the Pelicans, I wonder how much he was holding the Bucks back the years he was on the team. To be somewhat fair to him, the change in point guard wasn't the only change the Bucks made to this year's championship team, so I guess it isn't truly possible to get an answer to that question.
2743981, Honestly, if the Bucks kept Brogdon and dumped Bledsoe earlier
Posted by Castro, Wed Jul-28-21 02:24 PM
they would have won LAST year.
2744332, I totally forgot he was on the Bucks.
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Jul-30-21 10:38 AM
If memory serves me right, he had an injury that cut into his playing time with Milwaukee. Brogdon is a pretty good bucket maker. Would be nice to see if he manages to get on a better team than the dead in the water Pacers. The dude is pretty damn talented.
2743978, .
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-28-21 01:39 PM
2743993, Jaxson Hayes involved in police incident….
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-28-21 05:07 PM
https://amp.tmz.com/2021/07/28/nba-jaxson-hayes-arrested-hospitalized-alleged-violent-incident/?__twitter_impression=true
2743995, is there a chance the Pistons don't take Cade?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-28-21 05:24 PM
2743998, May as well trade down if they don't
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-28-21 06:01 PM
2744011, Sure, if someone offered them something bonkers.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-28-21 08:35 PM
Like, if OKC said Shai, the 6th pick, their 2022 first rounder, and Poku, lol. Or if Cleveland offered the 3rd pick, Okoro, Garland, and a future pick. Just imagine something where your first response is "that's crazy"-- and that's what it would take.

It's clear that they know what they have in the opportunity to draft Cade and what the value of a player like Cade would be to the league. So I doubt they move unless they can fleece someone.

2744001, Damn, we offered Shai and the #6 for the #1...
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-28-21 06:50 PM
Detroit said nah.
2744005, wow...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-28-21 07:36 PM
>Detroit said nah.
2744006, I mean, is that real?
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Jul-28-21 07:48 PM
I saw someone say we're in the moment of misinformation from front offices.

Shai + 6 is actually a fair offer. And of course, OKC has to make a move at some point. But I can't see them getting rid of a guy who's a likely all star in the next 2 years with all the assets they have.
2744010, Shai's a restricted free agent after next season.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-28-21 08:29 PM
So whichever team has him, OKC or Detroit, would have to commit to signing him to a max deal in the next calendar year. And Detroit simply isn't on the timeline where having someone like Shai on max money makes sense. Same goes for OKC, really, which is why I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to deal him for a top 4 pick in this draft-- or trade the #6 and Shai for Cade. (Or, as you said, use their assets to make moves, sign Shai to the max, and try to start genuinely pushing for playoff runs in the next 2ish years.)

I think it's a pretty fair deal... but it's not really a deal that makes sense for a team like Detroit that's looking realistically to be bad for at *least* another two seasons. And they have zero money on the books after 2022/23-- you can tell where their timeline is. They want to let Cade and the young core cook. And if they think Shai's upside is All-Star but Cade's upside is Top 10 in the NBA kinda guy... then the 6th pick in this draft just isn't enough of a sweetener imo. Detroit's looking for the highest potential possible dudes with their lotto picks-- that's why they gambled with guys like Hayes and Sekou when there were more NBA ready dudes available.

I just chatted with Jim from the Three Man Weave on a new NBA Draft episode of 2.1 Seconds to Madness (cheap plug), and we tried to name draft prospects of the last ten drafts that we'd definitely have taken before Cade. We settled on Zion and AD... and that's it. He's just such a special dude, so well-rounded, so elite at so many things, not bad at really anything.

And I love Shai-- and I agree, Shai can definitely be an All-Star once he's on a good team. But yeah, for Detroit, who isn't looking to truly make moves until three seasons from now (unless Cade absolutely crushes from Day 1, not impossible), you gotta go for the superstar upside.
2744016, wow...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Jul-28-21 09:04 PM
>I just chatted with Jim from the Three Man Weave on a new NBA
>Draft episode of 2.1 Seconds to Madness (cheap plug), and we
>tried to name draft prospects of the last ten drafts that we'd
>definitely have taken before Cade. We settled on Zion and
>AD... and that's it.
2744064, By the way, worth noting here, as we did on the show...
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 11:20 AM
... that *doesn't* mean Cade will be better than everyone else, obviously, lol. It just means, in terms of being a very high-floor, very high-ceiling prospect... he's at worst top 5 and probably top 3 of the last decade, because he just does so many things elitely and has very few gaps in his game, even at this young an age. He's like if you designed the ideal player for this era.

Maybe it doesn't pan out, maybe he gets hurt, maybe Detroit just totally fucking sinks him, lol, I mean, who knows from here? But that's the level of prospect entering the draft he is. His upside is definitely "superstar." And his downside is... still quite high.
2744060, That’s a good point regarding the timelines.
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Jul-29-21 11:11 AM
Having a transcendent talent on a rookie contract is far too great to pass up. I’m shocked Cade is that good according to you guys, but if that’s the case - they’d be INSANE to trade down.
2744065, As I mentioned above...
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 11:24 AM
... it's just that the ceiling and floor are both so high. Like I said in the Justivity post, the best comparison I can make for Cade is "6'8 Ben Simmons who has alpha mentality and can shoot 40% from 3." Like, in the NBA, that's... a superstar. A franchise-changing dude.

He's not yet the defender Ben is... but Ben was a lousy defender in college, and Wiggins was a really good defender in college and a lousy one in the NBA, so who the fuck knows with that, lol. But an elite passer, great scorer at all levels, really good shooter, really good defender, hard worker, high motor guy, high IQ, really good rebounder due to effort, superb character, and big time leader who wants to take the big shots in the big moments. There aren't a lot of "here's the weakness" things with him-- and any nitpicks I *could* conjure can probably be dismissed due to (a) age and (b) him being by far the best player on a college team full of non-shooters. And unlike Anthony Edwards or Ben Simmons in similar scenarios, Cade dragged Oklahoma State to a 4 seed. Like... it's absurd how good he is and how great he can be.
2744013, Definitely feel you on the misinformation thing…
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Jul-28-21 08:37 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/rumor-pistons-declined-shai-gilgeous-021211776.html

I’m not even surprised, if it’s true…just really like Shai. We just ain’t ready for a dude that’s about to get paid, yet. So, I can believe it. I’ve also read the same offer could be made to Cleveland for the 3 and that GMs are just saying that Shai is clearly available to be had.
2744020, Someone tweeted that the Lakers declined Kuz for Shai and #6
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Jul-28-21 09:43 PM
My deleted post above was because it took me a second to realize that I had to have fallen prey to a troll.

https://twitter.com/BrandonRahbar/status/1420443806663589890

Turns out, he's some credentialed OKC writer for a site called The Daily Thunder. I have no idea how credible that site is, if it's just a glorified personal blog or what.

But his reaction to the reactions to the trolling was "Eek. Sometimes I forget I’m a credentialed media member and beat reporter when I troll."

Personally, I think that still undermines his credibility as anything resembling a serious journalist, and makes him look like those fuckwits who create the youtube videos with dumb headlines like CONFIRMED DAMIAN LILLARD SIGNS WITH LEBRON TO THE LAKERS, LEBRON SAYS LAKERS WILL WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

My guess is he's got a list of articles that are headlined as trade "rumors", which are in reality fictitious clickbait scenarios he just made up
2744070, Dudes been around for a good minute…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 11:41 AM
I like what he does, well enough. He called himself mocking the Twitter handles that do they kind of stuff, but I agree with you…he took some credibility away from what he does. Plus, it wasn’t even funny. I was just waiting for House of Hoops or something like that to Tweet that out and attribute it to him.
2744066, There's just such a big difference between the Top 4 and the rest.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 11:31 AM
Some would potentially argue the Top 3... and some maybe the Top 5, if you believe Scottie Barnes can shoot.

But yeah, that sixth pick, you're either looking at a high-ceiling, low-floor project or a relatively safe, non-star, starter-potential guy. Those top picks, you're looking at stars with much higher ceilings and floors.

And with Shai needing that max deal, yeah, I'm not shocked at all that they're trying to see if Shai and the 6 can get them into the top 3. Since Detroit and Houston aren't close, I'd be stunned if either of them bit... but Cleveland's 3rd pick is definitely intriguing. Not that they're actually close to winning, but they've got Garland, they've got Okoro, they've got Nance, they've got Allen. They could theoretically sign and trade Sexton (I'm sure they'll try) for somebody. I'm sure I can see them thinking, "If we had Shai, Garland, James Bouknight, Okoro, Nance, Allen, and a free agent, we can push for playoffs in 2 years, maybe even next year." (Do I think that would work? With Cleveland, I'm always skeptical, lol. But they wouldn't have signed Allen to that big contract unless they thought they weren't needing a massive rebuild.)
2744085, Damn…Buddy for Kuz and Harrell in the works…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:12 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420852216601186305?s=20
2744086, Nah we getting Westbrook. Shams beat Woj on this one
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-29-21 04:32 PM
2744087, Shams has a more recent tweet saying Westbrook
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 04:34 PM
There's also a report about the Spurs being interested in Kuz for Dermar, though I don't know how a situation like that would work with Dermar being an FA.

If Westbrook is on the table, that's a moot point though.
2744088, Yep…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:35 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420858110177120257?s=20
2744090, LMAO Woj backtracking after the Shams scoop
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 04:40 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420859675445276681

He's right though.

The Buddy shit has been cooking for a minute.

The Westbrook thing was, what, a week ago? It came and went and the numbers vs asset situation looked like that just wasn't happening.

But yeah I like this.

Hopefully we can get something back in a deal for Schroder, but that hard caps us.

I say let him walk in snag some shooters on vet minimum deals
2744089, I AM SPEECHLESS 😶…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:40 PM
NOT!!!!! My guy playing at the crib!!! God is good!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
2744091, ? What happened
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 04:41 PM
2744093, Russ…going home to play in LA…I’m elated!
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:42 PM
2744095, Is it done?
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 04:43 PM
It looks like this is happening but I can't find a confirmation that this has been completed.
2744098, Nothing is official yet
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jul-29-21 04:48 PM
But the deal is supposed to be Westbrook for Kuzma, Harrell, KCP, and next year's first.
2744099, ... I'd rather have Buddy and KCP. *darts out of post*
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 04:48 PM
2744101, Better run fast lmao
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 04:49 PM
2744105, Lol
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:53 PM
2744107, Don't I know it, lol.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 04:55 PM
There's only one ball! If they wanna try and stagger it where they give Bron and/or AD more rest, and let Russ absolutely go full-blown "score 50" mode in those games, then beautiful, I get the plan. I just don't really know what the fit is between them all playing together when your best offensive players shoot, like, 30%, 30%, and 33% from 3-- and they're trading the best 3 point shooter they had last season. When they were a bottom third of the league shooting team from distance.

Meanwhile, a lineup with Bron, AD, Buddy, KCP...

... yeah, I should just run. lol.
2744113, we didn't have great 3 point shooting in the bubble, healthy Bron & AD...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Jul-29-21 05:11 PM
>There's only one ball! If they wanna try and stagger it where
>they give Bron and/or AD more rest, and let Russ absolutely go
>full-blown "score 50" mode in those games, then beautiful, I
>get the plan. I just don't really know what the fit is between
>them all playing together when your best offensive players
>shoot, like, 30%, 30%, and 33% from 3-- and they're trading
>the best 3 point shooter they had last season. When they were
>a bottom third of the league shooting team from distance.
>
>Meanwhile, a lineup with Bron, AD, Buddy, KCP...
>
>... yeah, I should just run. lol.

+ any 3 NBA players = chip.

Russ allows "load management" for both of those guys
2744122, KCP, who shows up every third night.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 05:29 PM
Oh boy, much rather have him than Russ.

We'll get some shooters in FA.

I'm not saying this gets us a title. We have deficiencies that will need to be addressed, and we'll be capped to death for the next two years.

But we have the talent to compete with anyone, even without the analytics circle jerk.

And we're going to be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams in transition.
2744139, I agree with all that.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 06:16 PM
I just really like Buddy and what his fit would be. It just fits more what I personally would do to construct a roster around two mega stars. But there’s no denying the talent with Russ there.
2744152, Yeah I'm just seeing a few too many hot analytic takes on this
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 06:34 PM
Talent for talent, we're arguably the most top heavy team in the league.

That accounts for an awful lot.

Other teams have significant advantages though, i.e, BK being able reup with Joe Harris, and having assets to retool if necessary.

Everyone there is tradeable and they're largely fleshed out already, so we've got a gap to close with nothing but our good name to do it with.

Fortunately, that good name is the Lakers and Lebron. I'll take those L's any day.

I think this is a deal you make 100 times out of 100, and figure out the rest.

The fact that this doesn't hard cap us arguably evens out the drawbacks though, because we're bound to get a few vets on the cheap who can shoot.

Plus we have THT and schroder who could each be dealt in S&T deals for shooters, and if that hard caps us, we at least fill those needs.

Now if we sign Derozan somehow.... i dunno.
2744159, I think Russ easily makes you all a top 3 team right away.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 06:54 PM
Make no mistake with what I said above, nothing I said should translate to "Lakers will be bad/worse" or anything like that. They are obviously better today with Russ than without Russ. And yes, even with my personal preferences, if the Kings are pussyfooting around with a Hield deal, but you actually have the Wizards ready to go, you do the fucking deal. No question.

I just have mild concerns about the shooting against the other best teams in the country, who will invariably go under screens in the playoffs against the Lakers, and who will be able to shoot against the Lakers' perimeter defenders for the most part.

And I personally think Buddy + better supporting pieces makes for a more versatile Lakers roster while *still* being the second top heaviest team in the world. I think there'd be more flexibility, more obvious fit, still massive talent differential between them and anyone else in the West, etc. But again, that's just me. And as I mentioned above, Russ definitely brings a lot to the table if the goal is to load manage Bron and/or AD during the regular season-- and I have to imagine that's a big part of why they targeted him specifically, as he's an iron man.

2744375, strictly on the court you’re probably right, but i don’t care
Posted by Kungset, Fri Jul-30-21 07:08 PM
i’m gonna have a lot of fun rooting for next year’s team
2744114, I'm like how are the Lakers financially able to make this trade?
Posted by Lach, Thu Jul-29-21 05:11 PM
Russ is due 44 mil this coming season. What are they possibly trading besides Kuzma?
2744115, They’re gonna trade *cue Oldman in The Professional*
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 05:17 PM
2744117, RE: I'm like how are the Lakers financially able to make this trade?
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Jul-29-21 05:19 PM
>Russ is due 44 mil this coming season. What are they possibly
>trading besides Kuzma?

I'm sure if they can package enough players, the dollars will balance out.

My glaring issue with this trade is that the Lakers will be in the deepest depths of luxury tax hell with LeBron, Anthony Davis, and Westbrook all in that purple and gold.

The Lakers have to win at least one championship for this trade to worth it all, no?
2744317, Don't like the move
Posted by Mack, Fri Jul-30-21 08:26 AM
Nothing against Westbrook...he's an amazing talent. I just don't like the fit. I would have preferred the Buddy Hield trade as well. Will be interesting to see how Vogel manages the egos of this Big 3.
2744094, This draft is going to be ridiculous.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 04:43 PM
This shit is about to explode
2744096, Curious where Bradley ends up
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:44 PM
2744100, REPORT: He's staying in DC.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 04:49 PM
Via @ThompsonScribe.
2744104, 👍🏾
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:52 PM
2744331, I'm curious
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Jul-30-21 10:33 AM
how gutted would the Trailblazers be if they tried to pair Lilliard with Beal. Beal is making in the mid 30's per year, but he only has two years left on his contract, so the Blazers wouldn't be making a huge commitment in terms of total value for Beal's contract.
2744333, Since Beal says he's committed to staying in DC...
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jul-30-21 10:48 AM
... and since DC looks committed to trying to keep him happy, I'd imagine it'd take more assets than Portland should be willing to give up to get him there.
2744518, Assuming the Dinwiddle deal is final
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 07:31 AM
He's a good running mate for Beal, but I do think Beal will get tired of having to work his tail off just for Washington to barely sniff getting into the post-season. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to walk in the middle of the season.
2744102, Ricky Rubio to Cleveland, Taurean Prince to Minnesota.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 04:50 PM
BIGGEST TRADE OF THE DAY!!
2744103, sixers tryna move simmons by tonight. warriors turned down this deal:
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jul-29-21 04:52 PM
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1420844815990857734
-----
76ers are asking the Warriors for Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, No. 7 and No. 14 picks and two future first round picks in a Ben Simmons trade, per
@PompeyOnSixers

Warriors declined that offer.
-----

i still think he ends up on the dubs because rich paul wants him there.
2744108, WOW…that’s a lot!!!
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:56 PM
2744109, Lmao. Philly management drunk early
Posted by Beezo, Thu Jul-29-21 04:57 PM
>https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1420844815990857734
>-----
>76ers are asking the Warriors for Andrew Wiggins, James
>Wiseman, No. 7 and No. 14 picks and two future first round
>picks in a Ben Simmons trade, per
>@PompeyOnSixers
>
>
>Warriors declined that offer.
>-----
>
>i still think he ends up on the dubs because rich paul wants
>him there.
2744110, GSW's right to do so. That's too much for a guy who wants to leave.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 04:58 PM
Now, do I think GSW should counter with Wiggins, 7, 14, and two future 1sts? Sure. I'd even entertain the idea of Wiseman, 7, and two future 1sts.

But all that? For a guy who vocally wants outta town? Nah. I'd love to see Simmons on the Warriors, I think he'd be great... but nah.
2744161, not only does he wanna leave he prolly wants to go to the warriors lol.
Posted by Reeq, Thu Jul-29-21 07:00 PM
bob myers on the phone like 'yeah thats cute...let me know when to send ben his flight information'.
2744129, Sixers acting like they sending out Jokic AND Murray lol
Posted by Lach, Thu Jul-29-21 05:38 PM
2744141, the 2 extra future firsts is asking too much
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-29-21 06:17 PM
2744156, Yeah, no way the Warriors make that deal
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jul-29-21 06:49 PM
If you're going to give up all of that, it'd be for like a healthy-ish Kawhi.
2744106, Shamet to Phoenix…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 04:55 PM
What is happening????? Lol
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1420854039638650882?s=20
2744138, You know, I'm betting THT gets dealt in a S&T for a shooter
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 06:13 PM
I can't see paying him with Russ on the team.

I wonder if that winds up the play for Buddy?

Buddy makes too much for a straight up swap.

I have to think that there are other deals in the pipeline
2744143, WHY NOT?!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jul-29-21 06:21 PM
this is going to be magnificent yall. dont overthink it.
Lebron + AD + Russ

as ever health is our only enemy
2744144, Laker Nation…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 06:23 PM
as the lone delegate from Russepotamia, I look forward to us working together.
2744145, Go to work, Sam…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 06:24 PM
https://twitter.com/SIChrisMannix/status/1420886123648258048?s=20
2744151, *Sly grin*
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Jul-29-21 06:33 PM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2744154, Also: I expect this to be a W for the Wizards.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jul-29-21 06:41 PM
I've said it for the last two seasons: Kuz is probably a player, but that won't happen here.

I think he and Trez will have quality seasons this year. They'll have room to work. Worst case, they tread water and are right where they are.

Beal is a monster and entering his prime. They could fuck around and still build something around him.
2744158, Love Brad, man…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Jul-29-21 06:52 PM
dude is a pure hooper. They must have made him some promises regarding the future and what they could put around him.
2744165, I like seeing a guy say "hey, this is my home. Please keep me here."
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 07:06 PM
And Beal certainly is one of those dudes.
2744202, Spacing is an issue but Bron/AD/Russ? Ok!
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Jul-29-21 07:52 PM
2744207, it'll be a issue in the playoffs. they'll have a wonderful regular season
Posted by RandomFact, Thu Jul-29-21 07:56 PM
still the team to beat in the west though.
2744227, Agreed on both fronts.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-29-21 08:26 PM
2744301, I wonder if DeRozan
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu Jul-29-21 11:30 PM
would be interested in being a 6th man at a reasonable price tag...

2744308, he won't help spacing and THT can do everything he can at this point
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-30-21 06:48 AM
2744316, According to basketball-reference.com
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Jul-30-21 08:13 AM
DeRozan was paid $27 mil last year. Since I'm assuming the Lakers will be in luxury tax hell with this recent trade, the front office would have to ask DeRozan to take a severe pay cut to fit on the Lakers. IMO, that would be too severe for DeRozan's interest's.

Assuming things don't work out this offseason with the Trailblazers, I wouldn't be shocked if Carmelo ends up with the Lakers since he's been taking paycuts the past two seasons now.
2744376, Not happening.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Jul-30-21 07:42 PM
2744380, Derozan shoots worse from 3 than Russ, I don’t know why people…
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-30-21 11:51 PM
are so high on him
2744319, it's Mac McClung's team now bruh
Posted by PROMO, Fri Jul-30-21 09:08 AM
2744320, Just hope we can get him enough help
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jul-30-21 09:12 AM
2744322, me too.
Posted by PROMO, Fri Jul-30-21 09:23 AM
Bron is the perfect player to defer to Mac, but definitely need a couple quality 3 and D guys for when Mac gets doubled and has to kick out.

O_o
2744323, Lol,,nice
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jul-30-21 09:34 AM
2744361, Who is AD's backup?
Posted by Castro, Fri Jul-30-21 03:31 PM
2744368, probably Keef
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-30-21 05:46 PM
2744314, Utah sending Derrick Favors to OKC…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jul-30-21 07:47 AM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1421079624092733447?s=20
2744360, Otto Porter is seeking the MLE…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Jul-30-21 03:21 PM
https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1421197940765384709?s=20
2744374, could be an interesting Laker piece
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jul-30-21 07:06 PM
2744383, He is Elijah Price, aka Mr.Glass.
Posted by allStah, Sat Jul-31-21 11:43 AM
In the last three seasons, he played 56,14, and 28 games.

He is offensively skilled, and he can hit the three, but he is
a huge liability on defense.

DNB: Do not buy.
2744401, that's why he would be cheap genius...
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Aug-01-21 02:20 PM
>In the last three seasons, he played 56,14, and 28 games.
>
>He is offensively skilled, and he can hit the three, but he
>is
>a huge liability on defense.
>
>DNB: Do not buy.

with the salary cap space we have left (or lack thereof) pretty much anybody we get at this point will be a gamble in some regard
2744382, So Denver and Utah will dominate the West next season.
Posted by allStah, Sat Jul-31-21 11:18 AM
I don’t get the Lakers. I really don’t. They never really go after
what they need. The acquisition of Westbrook is up there with
the Gary Payton/Malone and Howard/Nash pickups, and those
teams suffered due to having too many pieces that needed
the ball in order to be effective.

Westbrook is a ball dominant guard, who can’t shoot, is still
a turnover machine, and he isn’t a good defender. The amount
of points that the wizards allowed last season at the guard position
was insane.

He is a good guy, and gives his all as a player, but lacks the IQ
and fundamentals to truly help a team.

Bron is old. AD is injury prone, and Westbrook is one dimensional, and the
roster is depleted.

All the lakers had to do was be patient. Randle, Ingram, Ball, Hart, Clarkson.
That would have been their big 3, and two excellent sixth men.

2744385, RE: So Denver and Utah will dominate the West next season.
Posted by DJR, Sat Jul-31-21 12:56 PM
>I don’t get the Lakers. I really don’t. They never really
>go after
>what they need. The acquisition of Westbrook is up there with
>the Gary Payton/Malone and Howard/Nash pickups, and those
>teams suffered due to having too many pieces that needed
>the ball in order to be effective.
>
>Westbrook is a ball dominant guard, who can’t shoot, is
>still
>a turnover machine, and he isn’t a good defender. The
>amount
>of points that the wizards allowed last season at the guard
>position
>was insane.
>
>He is a good guy, and gives his all as a player, but lacks the
>IQ
>and fundamentals to truly help a team.

Yeah, he’s basically Dellevadova. Just tries hard. That’s it. Otherwise a scrub.

>Bron is old. AD is injury prone, and Westbrook is one
>dimensional, and the
>roster is depleted.

Averages a triple double every year......”one dimensional”. Lol.

>All the lakers had to do was be patient. Randle, Ingram, Ball,
>Hart, Clarkson.
>That would have been their big 3, and two excellent sixth men.

Yeah, it’s a damn shame they went and won that chip instead of being a perennial 8 seed.
2744386, He gets you stats. He puts fans in the seats.
Posted by allStah, Sat Jul-31-21 01:30 PM
However, he doesn’t get you wins, and is a liability in the clutch.

Durant moved away from him. Harden moved away from him.

I love AD, but he isn’t a true big. His body can’t handle banging in the paint.

If the lakers can find a way to switch the brains of AD and Westbrook, they will
be the greatest in the world. AD is a guard trapped in a big man’s body and Russ
is a big man trapped in a guard’s body.
2744388, 11 playoff appearances, 4 conf. finals, 1 NBA finals
Posted by DJR, Sat Jul-31-21 08:15 PM
there’s guys out there who put up stats on bad teams.

He puts up stats on good teams.
2744394, you can't be one of the best playmakers in the league
Posted by Kungset, Sun Aug-01-21 10:48 AM
and have a low bball IQ
2744432, The Malone/Payton Lakers dominated until injuries.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 11:38 AM
2744399, Bulls signing* Lonzo according to Chris Haynes
Posted by RandomFact, Sun Aug-01-21 01:12 PM
https://twitter.com/MarkSchanowski/status/1421672953264099333

Watching NBA TV’s free agency special. Well respected
@ChrisBHaynes reports unless there’s a major “hiccup”, sources tell him Lonzo Ball intends to work out a contract with the Bulls. Pelicans are going hard after free agent PG Kyle Lowry.

*signing to an offer sheet.

GOOD.

2744400, This acquisition and the drafting of Ayo makeup for the horrible
Posted by allStah, Sun Aug-01-21 01:47 PM
trades they made last season.

Lonzo brings a good demeanor, high iq, excellent passing, shooting,
,and solid defense to the team. The only question mark with
him is his health. He picks up injuries here and there at times.
There weren’t major injuries, but they kept him out of the lineup.
And with the Lakers he missed a lot of games.

The future of the Bulls perimeter is set.

PG: Ball
SG: Ayo
SF: Williams

Just got to build up the front court later on down the road.

Coby and Thad off the bench as super-subs.

2744436, LMAO
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Aug-02-21 12:17 PM
>The future of the Bulls perimeter is set.
>
>PG: Ball
>SG: Ayo
>SF: Williams
2744437, AYO>>>>>>>>>>>>>LAVINE
Posted by allStah, Mon Aug-02-21 01:14 PM
2744403, RE: Bulls signing* Lonzo according to Chris Haynes
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Aug-01-21 02:29 PM
>https://twitter.com/MarkSchanowski/status/1421672953264099333
>
>Watching NBA TV’s free agency special. Well respected
>@ChrisBHaynes reports unless there’s a major “hiccup”,
>sources tell him Lonzo Ball intends to work out a contract
>with the Bulls. Pelicans are going hard after free agent PG
>Kyle Lowry.

unless he's strictly going for the highest bidder I can't see 35y/o Lowry going to a rebuilding situation like the Pels
2744404, RE: Bulls signing* Lonzo according to Chris Haynes
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Sun Aug-01-21 03:49 PM
He got his ring— he should live it up
2744405, RE: Bulls signing* Lonzo according to Chris Haynes
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Aug-01-21 04:14 PM
>He got his ring— he should live it up

plus he’s coming off a max contract so he’s made his money too, it really comes down to what he wants to do.

2744406, Just as a b-ball fan, I’d love to see him in Philly
Posted by DJR, Sun Aug-01-21 05:15 PM
Hometown, went to college there, comes back to try to help the Sixers get over the hump. He’s what they need too, assuming he’s still got it.
2744409, right
Posted by ThaTruth, Sun Aug-01-21 06:38 PM
2744429, Which is why I believe the rumors about him to Miami, lol.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 11:33 AM
There, he can contend to some degree *and* live it up.
2744433, ...and I know it's all just chatter until something happens...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 11:47 AM
but, I've been seeing all over the place that the Heat are seriously looking to reunite Kyle and Demar...Kyle with an S&T and signing Demar to the full MLE.
2744430, If the Pels let Lonzo get away *and* miss on Lowry...
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 11:33 AM
... they are in serious, serious trouble re: Zion's desire to stay.
2744438, Lowry and Zion's timelines don't matchup anyway
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-02-21 01:21 PM
2744439, Lowry and Zion's timelines don't matchup anyway
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-02-21 01:21 PM
2744440, Zion's timeline is right TODAY...you have him taking some steps?
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 01:26 PM
2744445, I don't see a 35y/o with a ring voluntarily going to a 30 win team built...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-02-21 02:37 PM
around someone who is barely legal drinking age
2744447, lol right. If Zion wants to win now, Pels gotta help him get there.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 02:50 PM
Ingram's old enough. Jonas is old enough. Zion is already an All-Star and should take another leap this year. They need a PG and they need shooters.
2744453, does any point guard make the Pelicans a contender in 2 years? Do you...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-02-21 04:18 PM
see Kyle Lowry being a major factor beyond 2 years? I'm a huge Lowry fan and I don't.
2744463, For the Pels, the goal isn't to win a title in the next two years.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 05:48 PM
The goal is to be a firm playoff team in the next two years and keep Zion happy so he signs an extended deal. They know Lowry isn't enough to dethrone the Lakers or Nets or Bucks or whomever. But they've gotta show a commitment to spending on guys to show Zion he can win there.

Of course, they just let Lonzo go and whiffed on Lowry. Welp. lol.
2744448, *rubs hands*
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 03:27 PM
2744450, RE: *rubs hands*
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Aug-02-21 03:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFd9g8UBGtY
2744461, I'd be OVERJOYED.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 05:46 PM
2744462, Lowry to Miami
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 05:48 PM
https://twitter.com/Klow7/status/1422325852709216256?s=20
2744454, Lonzo to the Bulls per Woj.... 4/85
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 05:01 PM
2744457, Seems like Lonzo truly wanted nothing to do with NOLA
Posted by RandomFact, Mon Aug-02-21 05:22 PM
And I guess the Pels are high on Kira Lewis and NAW?

Pels gotta make a move for a starting guard (Sato ain't that) or this is going to be a horrible look.
2744464, They're fucked unless Kira takes a serious leap.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 05:49 PM
And Kira, who I like a lot, isn't *that* kind of dude. Or at least shouldn't be considered the type of dude to be *that* good by this season.
2744458, Says something about the Bulls culture...
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Aug-02-21 05:26 PM
...that Lonzo "signed" the minute free agency opened.

I can't think of the last time we signed a free agent that fast.
2744468, Ben Wallace?
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 05:59 PM
2744455, Mike Conley returning to Utah
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 05:06 PM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1422316787962728449?s=20
2745164, Best team in the west collapsed without him...earned every penny
Posted by guru0509, Mon Aug-16-21 11:40 AM
again

>https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1422316787962728449?s=20
2744456, Let the AYO/Ball backcourt era began!
Posted by allStah, Mon Aug-02-21 05:09 PM
2744466, Congrats??
Posted by Beezo, Mon Aug-02-21 05:53 PM
2744460, Jimmy Butler...bag acquired
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 05:35 PM
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1422318280421879812?s=20
2744465, CP3 to Phoenix: 4 years, 120 mil.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 05:49 PM
2744467, Walk it up and slow em down Chris!
Posted by Beezo, Mon Aug-02-21 05:54 PM
2744472, Four!
Posted by Tiger Woods, Mon Aug-02-21 06:19 PM
2744494, Reply #5. They had no choice.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 08:07 PM
If your choices are "overpay" or "instantly go back to 7 seed territory," you have to overpay. Worry about the future later. Gotta try to win now.
2744502, Four more years of playoff injuries and dribbling out the shot clock.
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Mon Aug-02-21 09:21 PM
But with Lowery going to Miami and Conley goingback to Utah I guess they had no choice.Thats alot of money for a 36-37 year old not named Lebron
2744543, What were the terms?
Posted by Cocobrotha2, Tue Aug-03-21 01:30 PM
2 years guaranteed + player option + team option?

2744469, Man, where is Dennis gonna go?
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 06:11 PM
2744470, New Orleans?
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 06:12 PM
2744471, his bag dried tf up
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-02-21 06:15 PM
2744474, Dude's gonna end up as Russ' back up again isnt he
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 06:22 PM
2744510, Lol ok then
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 11:22 PM
2744475, shams is killing woj this offseason.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-02-21 06:51 PM
theres a new sheriff in town.
2744476, They usually net out to even at the end of it all though right?
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 06:51 PM
I feel like Shams has jumped out to a lead the last few years
2744480, i think ESPN makes Woj hold things back for air
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-02-21 06:56 PM
2744481, iono but i feel like that lakers hield/westbrook shit changed everything.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Aug-02-21 07:00 PM
niggas looking at shams like q.

'you got the juice now man'.
2744514, some people are still thinking a 3rd part of that trade may materialize
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 06:53 AM
2744700, when shams tells a us senator to eat shit then he can call me
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Aug-04-21 04:50 PM
until then I know who I ride with

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
2744477, Dwight and Ariza are back. Cool.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 06:52 PM
2744478, Goonball back
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-02-21 06:54 PM
2744479, Ellington too. That's a great start to FA for Lakers
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Aug-02-21 06:55 PM

-->
2744482, Knicks gave Fournier 4/78!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-02-21 07:08 PM
wow. money burns a hole in your pocket
2744486, Why?
Posted by Beezo, Mon Aug-02-21 07:33 PM
2744492, Because they're the Knicks.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-02-21 07:59 PM
2744495, Yea, say no more
Posted by Beezo, Mon Aug-02-21 08:11 PM
2744591, to balance out 3 point shooting
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-03-21 03:48 PM
don't like him as a defender and I don't think he is consistent but he can score.
2744483, I'll miss you, CarusoGOAT. Bulls - 4/37.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-02-21 07:17 PM
Bulls fans, you'll love him.
2744484, oh snap!
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Mon Aug-02-21 07:23 PM
Wasn't expecting this.
2744485, the moment d rose agreed with the knicks this came through
Posted by RandomFact, Mon Aug-02-21 07:33 PM
gonna guess the bulls had an offer on the table but a <10 million hometown discount wasn't going to happen.

glad rose got the extra cash but i wish he went to a contender.

as far as caruso goes, this seems like a good deal for the mle. i'll take his hustle, grimeyness and ability to hit an open shot over what we had previously (sato, garret temple).
2744489, This mean Dennis is staying?
Posted by Vex_id, Mon Aug-02-21 07:46 PM
Caruso will be missed.

-->
2744497, He is a solid on ball defender. He hustles,
Posted by allStah, Mon Aug-02-21 08:24 PM
and he will provide veteran leadership. Plus he is
another solid ball handler.

This has Billy written all over it. He loves him some guards.
He knew he had to shore up that backcourt defense. Lavine and
White are shit defensively.

Ball- good defender
Ayo- good defender
Caruso- good defender
Thad - good defender
Williams- good defender.

We just need a goon defender at the 5. That Vucevic pickup was terrible.
I know they have to know that.

Vue-Thad-Williams-Zach-Ball....

Bench: White, Theis, Ayo, Caruso, Temple, Aminu, Brown

Hmm, not sure that will cut it....excited, but unsure.
2744536, I mean, Mac McClung made him expendable.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Aug-03-21 12:23 PM
only one bounce-y white guy per team. it's in the CBA.

2744488, Trevor Ariza and Dwight Howard are back to Lakers
Posted by blackfoot_female, Mon Aug-02-21 07:45 PM
Howard i like. Ariza i have no idea what he's done the last few years.
2744496, LeGM on that LeThanos -- Lakers putting it together
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Aug-02-21 08:21 PM
the BULLS are actually making moves.

Miami is getting some unexpected pick ups!!

BRING ON 2021-22 NBA!!!
2744498, PJ to the Heat…2/15
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 08:26 PM
2744500, Devonte Graham to New Orleans
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 08:42 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1422369148013879300?s=20
2744509, i like graham. hope he balls out in NO.
Posted by poetx, Mon Aug-02-21 10:41 PM

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

2744511, Dinwiddie to Washington
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-02-21 11:30 PM
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1422411607523483655?s=20.
2744512, Steph set to sign 4 year, $215 million extension
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Aug-03-21 12:13 AM
Good. He deserves it. Do whatever it takes to keep him on GSW forever.
2744515, Miami WON, shit might be ugly in a couple of years but 76y/o Riles...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 06:55 AM
said fuckit
2744535, More teams should operate that way.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 12:10 PM
If you're not immediately set up to win today, but you have pieces that you think are ready to win now, you spend now, try to contend now, and worry about the future later. Luxury tax bills can be covered, bad contract payments can be extended, but banners are forever.
2744539, I think he's trying to make up for not going all in on Harden last year
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 12:27 PM
2744544, Certainly a possibility.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 01:47 PM
2744517, Jeff Green left Brooklyn
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 07:28 AM
He signed a two year deal with Denver as per this link: https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/status/1422333439953485824

Pretty shrewd move on Denver's part. I think the Nets will miss him on both ends of the court.

Wonder why he left.
2744520, He was tired of signing 1 year deals…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 07:57 AM
The most the Nets could offer him was the tax payers MLE, for 5.9mil. Denver gave him a 2 year, 10mil deal with a player option in year 2. Blake only signed a 1 year deal, but he’s getting like 28 mil from Detroit, regardless.
2744537, RE: He was tired of signing 1 year deals…
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 12:25 PM
>The most the Nets could offer him was the tax payers MLE, for
>5.9mil. Denver gave him a 2 year, 10mil deal with a player
>option in year 2. Blake only signed a 1 year deal, but he’s
>getting like 28 mil from Detroit, regardless.

right I didn't realize Detroit was still paying Blake that much, that's crazy
2744534, Drummond to the Sixers for 1 year.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 12:05 PM
That should help.
2744540, so basically he and Dwight trading spots, I'll take Dwight lol
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 12:29 PM
2744545, There's no contest.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 01:48 PM
I don't really like either of them as serious minutes-earners, but if you need 12-15 minutes of rim protection for whatever reason, Dwight's your guy. Drummond is a net-negative player.
2744541, this is funny lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 12:30 PM
https://uproxx.com/dimemag/andre-drummond-nba-free-agency-sign-sixers-embiid/
2744551, He gotta back up his bully. Couldn’t be me
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-03-21 02:03 PM
2744573, jeez
Posted by Cenario, Tue Aug-03-21 03:00 PM
2744542, Miami Heat=Yuck
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 01:14 PM
Los Angeles Lakers =Yuck

Get the retirement home and infirmary ward for all those old ass players. Lakers
are now the oldest team in the league.

Top 5 in the East

Bucks
Nets
Sixers
Hawks
Knicks

Top 5 in the West

Jazz
Nuggets
Clippers
Suns
Grizzlies

2744547, I'll bet you $500 the Lakers finish ahead of the Grizzlies next year.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 01:50 PM
Or $100. Whatever amount you're comfortable with.
2744555, LOL
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 02:19 PM
No
2744559, Gotcha. You're just trolling. Say no more.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 02:26 PM
2744564, No
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 02:34 PM
You just asked me to bet you 500 dollars on a 5th seed. If you know anything
about betting, that wouldn’t be a smart bet.

The 5th seed is not far off from the 8th seed, so yes the lakers
could easily finish higher.

I just feel the grizzles have the better, more talent squad when it comes
youth, availability and their future.

2744566, Put it this way.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 02:38 PM
If the Lakers could easily finish higher than the Grizzlies, because those seeds are so close... then that means the Grizzlies could easily finish higher than the Lakers, right?

Yet I'm very confident the Lakers will finish ahead of the Grizzlies regardless.

I'll give you 1.5 to 1 odds. If the Grizzlies finish ahead of the Lakers, I'll give you $150. If the Lakers finish ahead of the Grizzles, you'll give me $100. That's fair, right? Assuming you're serious in thinking that the Grizzlies are a 5 seed and the Lakers are an 8 seed. If that's the case, you're getting incredible odds from me.
2744571, No.
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 02:53 PM
You don’t make a strong bet on something that could go either way.
That is betting101. You find a better bet.

I just the feel the grizzles are the better squad in the long run.....
One team is going forward, the other team is going backwards.

so you can keep your +150
2744578, Feel free to make it less money if you’re not confident.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 03:15 PM
Even with the natural variance that comes with any given season, I feel confident.

I really like the Grizzlies long term. But not better than the Lakers this season. And I’d gladly place money on it.
2744546, Patty Mills to the Nets.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 01:48 PM
Lakers offseason looking real sideways
2744548, Huge signing for the Nets, considering Ky's history.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 01:51 PM
I don't think the need for a backup PG is as crucial for the Lakers considering Russy's rep as someone who plays every regular season game and considering Bron can run point in a pinch.
2744550, Fuck. Who's left? George Hill?
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 01:55 PM
I have to think Schroder and THT leave in S&T deals
2744552, RE: Fuck. Who's left? George Hill?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 02:11 PM
>I have to think Schroder and THT leave in S&T deals

I think Schroder will definitely be S&T, we may try to hang onto THT
2744561, The Monk and Carmelo deals
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 02:27 PM
are pretty solid ones to sure up the bench rotation. Those two and Dwight Howard are pretty decent bench players given how top heavy the Lakers are with LeBron, Westbrook, and Anthony Davis.

Not too bad given how financially restricted the Lakers are.
2744565, The beauty of having Anthony Davis Is that defense isn't a concern.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 02:34 PM
You can just put whatever 4 dudes on the floor around him and have a top 5 defense with AD on the floor. It's pretty magical.

Of course, a lot of that relies on health, lol. But that was going to be the case regardless of the supporting cast, really.

But yeah, I'm gonna super enjoy watching Russy, Monk, Melo, regular season Bron, and AD somehow still put up Top 5 defensive stats on the strength of AD alone. Too much AD slander happened this playoffs/offseason.
2744570, I don't fully understand
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 02:53 PM
why your response to me was focused on defense. I don't think I focused squarely on defense in my original response.

Just to be clear, my main concern with the Westbrook trade was that the Lakers would pretty much be LeBron, Westbrook, Anthony Davis and a bunch of scrubs and worse, no solid bench rotation. As competitive as the West is, a top heavy team with no dependable bench isn't going to cut it IMO. With Howard, Carmelo, and Malik Monk, that's a pretty dependable backup rotation, which in theory should be a big difference. Given the age of the majority of the Lakers squad, time will tell how the dust will settle at the end of the season.
2744582, Sorry, I'll clarify.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 03:29 PM
I replied focusing on defense because most of LA's supporting signings are bad defenders. Carmelo? Bad defender. Monk? Bad defender. Ellington? Bad defender. Ariza? Hasn't really been a net positive defender in a few years. Westbrook is basically a neutral-impact defender, because while he's still pretty pesky on ball, he's notoriously a bad defender off ball.

AND YET I agree that all of these are good value signings for the Lakers, because their bad defense won't matter. Specifically because of AD and what he does. He just cleans up absolutely everything. It's a great situation for these bench guys, and it's a great situation for the Lakers to take these one-way players and get the most out of them.
2744549, If the Bulls land DeRozan, we will have won the offseason
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-03-21 01:53 PM
I had faith in Karsisovas and Eversley, but even I didn't think they could pull this kinda of haul.

Ball/Caruso
LaVine/White
(unknown 3)
Williams
Vucevic

Not a championship contender (I'd say 2nd round at the most),
but definitely entertaining.
2744554, over Miami?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 02:14 PM
>I had faith in Karsisovas and Eversley, but even I didn't
>think they could pull this kinda of haul.
>
>Ball/Caruso
>LaVine/White
>(unknown 3)
>Williams
>Vucevic
>
>Not a championship contender (I'd say 2nd round at the most),
>but definitely entertaining.

I love Lonzo but does he really move the needle that much? from not making the playoffs to the 2nd round?

2744556, That's a bigger jump than Miami, no?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-03-21 02:20 PM
>I love Lonzo but does he really move the needle that much?
>from not making the playoffs to the 2nd round?

And honestly, it's not just the Ball signing,
but more so a continuation of the moves from last season.
I really want to see LaVine and Vucevic together with a full training camp.
The moves made in the last 24 hours have really hit needs.
2744563, RE: That's a bigger jump than Miami, no?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 02:30 PM
>>I love Lonzo but does he really move the needle that much?
>>from not making the playoffs to the 2nd round?
>
>And honestly, it's not just the Ball signing,
>but more so a continuation of the moves from last season.
>I really want to see LaVine and Vucevic together with a full
>training camp.
>The moves made in the last 24 hours have really hit needs.

I guess, I've never been a big Vuc fan but we'll see, I feel like both forward positions are questionable too
2744562, You have to excuse him. He does this every year.
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 02:28 PM
He means well, and is a good sport, but he gets hyped easily. Lol

He just knew we were PO bound last year with the Vucevic trade.

However, he is right about the management FINALLY making good moves.
2744575, You know this better than me
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 03:07 PM
but if the Bulls spend top dollar ($25 mil +) on DeRozan, will they be able to give Zach LaVine the top dollars he wants for his impending contract extension?
2744576, They can't extend LaVine until after 21-22.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-03-21 03:10 PM
But the front office values him a lot.
I don't think they would do anything to jeopardize resigning him.
2744589, Right now, they can offer him more than what his current
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 03:44 PM
salary is ,which would be a 120% raise. However, that would
only be 105 million for 4 years, well below his market value.
He can make more money as a FA

The Bulls are hoping that the moves they have made will
push Lavine to accept the max extension, basically, giving
the Bulls a discount.

He already stated he is not accepting a max extension. He wants
to be paid, and playing along side Durant at the Olympics, where
they have built up a friendship, will make contract talks even more
complicated.

I predict he will walk, unless the Bulls offer him a contract at 30%
of the salary cap when he becomes a FA....and I don’t see the Bulls
doing that.

Also, if he makes an All NBA team, then he would become eligible for
a supermax deal.

2744553, ...and there it is, Melo to the Lakers
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 02:13 PM
2744557, Malik Monk to the Lakers
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 02:21 PM
2744567, WHEW! Someone under 30!
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 02:49 PM
2744616, LOL.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Aug-03-21 04:38 PM

2744568, Fuck it, thats a good one
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 02:50 PM
2744574, Getting him on the cheap
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 03:04 PM
is probably one of the better moves of this free agency, especially given that the Lakers needed a backup point guard badly and how restricted the Lakers were with their spending.

Job extremely well done by the Lakers front office.
2744569, FUCK. He is about to get his paper.
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-03-21 02:53 PM
2744560, He'll be a good guy to give the odd bench minutes.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-03-21 02:27 PM
2744572, The LA Expendables....or Extendables...or Expires
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-03-21 02:54 PM
2744577, Derozan to Bulls done, per Woj
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 03:14 PM
Deets:
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1422651836012666894?s=20
2744580, Hate losing Thad Young...
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-03-21 03:22 PM
...but I'll take it.

OH, since Lauri wasn't included in the DeRozan deal,
the Bulls could still do something with him.

Granted, I'm not high on Lauri myself but that hasn't stopped this new front office from getting good value.
2744581, We'll be playoff competitive for at least 3 seasons
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-03-21 03:29 PM
Which is a start...that might attract a bigger name at some point.

Ball/Caruso
Zach/Ayo
Derozan/White
Williams/??
Vuc/??

We need some big depth and that second unit is kinda small but if Williams takes a leap, 46-50 wins seems doable. 6-8 seed. Maybe 5 if we gel.

Looks like we might keep Lauri? But we are still 19 mil under the cap with this deal so I don't think we're done yet.

I'm good with it.

2744583, WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Aug-03-21 03:31 PM
AK pulled this off and somehow kept Lauri (who still has upside and a coveted skillset)?

We're giving up draft capital but I'm all in on building a winning culture. Enough of hoping and praying to get lucky in the draft. Aim to win now while being a BK/Milwaukee injury away from winning the east. I don't wish this upon them but it's always the reality in any sport.

Now bring in some front court toughness and let's go. I'm hearing Khem Birch could be an option.
2744584, The draft assets aren't that bad though:
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-03-21 03:36 PM
Wojnarowski also provides the details on the draft picks headed to the Spurs, reporting (via Twitter) that the future first-round pick will convey in 2025 at the earliest, since the Bulls owe their 2023 first-rounder to Orlando. The second-rounders Chicago is sending to San Antonio are the Lakers’ 2022 pick and the Bulls’ own 2025 pick, Woj adds.

Our next 4 drafts
2022 - Us
2023 - Magic (Top 4 protected)
2024 - Us
2025 - Spurs possibly

Second:
2022 Lakers pick goes to spurs
2025 Spurs (so we may not have one pick in the 2025 draft unless we trade)
2744586, Not bad at all. It's worth it to get out of the doldrums
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Aug-03-21 03:41 PM
we were the laughingstock of the league under garpax. this is a statement. times have changed. we're a forward thinking franchise now with competent management. future top tier free agents can't ignore us anymore. it's all worth it.

Cowley's cynical ass put it well...

https://twitter.com/JCowleyHoops/status/1422659227890368514

This is how a Bulls front office should have been operating for decades ... relentless aggressiveness, always lurking, always pushing. A world-wide brand finally acting like a world-wide brand rather than a mom-and-pop store who doesn't take back returned purchases.

2744595, If Lonzo takes another leap, that's a good ass squad.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 03:52 PM
2744623, Half a season of competence...
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Aug-03-21 04:45 PM
"...and two of the biggest free agents available chose Chicago. That's good news."

- @treykerby
2744579, I don't see how Miami got *that* much better
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Aug-03-21 03:19 PM
I seeing and hearing a lot of talk of how Miami "won" free agency. I don't get it.

Kyle is 35. And while he's still one of the better guards in the league (a league now filled with really good guard play), I'm not sure he moves the needle much in terms of moving the Heat up the eastern conference ladder. Like, I don't see them being better than the Sixers. Or even a refocused Boston. And acquiring a 36 year old PJ Tucker is essentially reacquiring Iggy. It's irrelevant.

Jimmy, Bam and Kyle isn't a terrifying big 3. And their spare parts don't jump out on paper either.
2744585, I wonder what they do with Oladipo
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-03-21 03:38 PM
If they keep him, this could be interesting.
2744587, He's a free agent.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 03:43 PM
He was on the last year of his contract when he was on the Rockets before the Heat trade.

To make matters worse, I think he turned down a contract extension from the Rockets if memory serves me right.

I wonder which team will gamble on him with a one year deal.
2744593, Where does he realistically fit?
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-03-21 03:49 PM
Boston?
Lakers (on a bargain deal for year to rebuild his value)?
Warriors (Help retool their bench, same situation as the lakers)?

Not many places I see him fitting. Unless a younger team wants to chance it on him.
2744597, I have no clue what he has left.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-03-21 03:54 PM
The Heat were trying to nurse him along before he played last year and he still managed to get injured, so I'm clueless.

Pretty sad how far dude fell completely off the radar because of injuries.
2744588, ha. forgot about him. his regression bc injury seems real unfortunately.
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Aug-03-21 03:44 PM
he is the wild card though.
2744610, is Kyle Lowry really one of Miami's 3 best players?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Tue Aug-03-21 04:31 PM
thats highly debatable
2744590, Notable remaining FA's
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-03-21 03:45 PM
Dinwiddie
Oubre
Schroeder
Danny Green (Lakers...watch)
Lauri (Restricted)
Reggie jackson
Oladipo
Horton-Tucker (Restricted...probably staying with lakers)
Josh Hart (restricted)
Kendrick Nunn
Iggy
Justise Winslow
Reddick
Milsap
Khem Birch
Diallo
Cousins
Elf Payton
Bryn Forbes
Kaminsky
Kanter
Whiteside
2744592, Dinwiddie is a Wizard
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 03:48 PM
2744594, One down then
Posted by auragin_boi, Tue Aug-03-21 03:50 PM
2744598, damn, Miami snatched the shit out of that qualifying offer for Nunn
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 03:56 PM
2744599, Hassan Whiteside would be a nice goon pickup at
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 03:57 PM
at the 5 spot. I still consider him to be the best pure shot blocker in the league.
2744600, Hassan and Birch would be real nice.
Posted by RandomFact, Tue Aug-03-21 03:57 PM
no idea how that would work though.
2744653, Hope the Knicks sign Birch.
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-03-21 08:08 PM
Other than that, meh.
2744601, Wonder if the knicks will ever have a top 25 point guard
Posted by Cenario, Tue Aug-03-21 04:00 PM
2744683, I wonder if this pandemic will end
Posted by Cenario, Wed Aug-04-21 11:40 AM
I wonder if the mets will ever stay healthy
I wonder if kyrie can get it together
I wonder (c) kanye
2744603, Hmm, not sure how I feel about the Derozan deal.
Posted by allStah, Tue Aug-03-21 04:18 PM
I will just wait and see. It seems like a super splash buy, but will it
play well on the court?

Also, I don’t like Williams at the 4. He spent 60 percent of his playing
time at small forward, where he uses his strength and IQ on defense
against smaller players. At 6’7 he will be undersized at that position.

Ball-Lavine-Derozan-Williams-Vuecevic.

Hmmm.....
2744604, Monk is a great pick-up for the Lakers; they still have mid-level
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:19 PM
Monk is an ascendant young talent who is just coming into his own; great shooter. Lakers needed these young legs to space the floor and knockdown 3's paired with Bron & Brodie. Now with Melo, Monk, Ariza, McLemore, Bazemore & Ellington - Lakers have solved their shooting issues and have some heavy long-range artillery to spread the floor. These guys are going to get ridiculous open-looks.

Lakers have achieved all of this without even expending the vet mid-level exception. So they aren't done at all.

-->
2744605, Rob want his respect (c)
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 04:21 PM
2744613, He deserves it. Hell of a GM/VP of Ops
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:34 PM
-->
2744607, didn't McLemore sign with Portland?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 04:29 PM
>Monk is an ascendant young talent who is just coming into his
>own; great shooter. Lakers needed these young legs to space
>the floor and knockdown 3's paired with Bron & Brodie. Now
>with Melo, Monk, Ariza, McLemore, Bazemore & Ellington -
>Lakers have solved their shooting issues and have some heavy
>long-range artillery to spread the floor. These guys are
>going to get ridiculous open-looks.
>
>Lakers have achieved all of this without even expending the
>vet mid-level exception. So they aren't done at all.
>
>-->
2744611, Yup. Damn I missed that one in the FA frenzy
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:33 PM
I liked Ben - but he is a bit redundant w/ these new signings. He can go off on hot streaks on the regular though. Good pickup for Portland.
-->
2744606, again I'm like how are the Lakers financially able to do all this?
Posted by Lach, Tue Aug-03-21 04:24 PM
Like I'm just seeing signing after signing. The F?
2744608, aren't the majority of them vet minimums?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 04:30 PM
>Like I'm just seeing signing after signing. The F?
2744609, the draw of playing in L.A. w/ LeBron, Brow & Brodie is real
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:31 PM
These signings are flocking to LA on veteran minimum deals to get a chance to win a 'chip w/ this squad, in Los Angeles.

To think: there was a time when people really pushed that "nobody wants to play w/ Bron" narrative.

Several years later, he's turned coal into diamonds. Nobody would touch Rondo or Dwight w/ a ten foot pole until they won a 'chip with Bron in 2020. Now they are coveted. The wrap on Kyrie and K. Love was that they couldn't get it done on winning teams -- now they are champions with solid reps. They said AD just couldn't get out of the 2nd round and was simply a regular season juggernaut. Now he's a made-man. "You couldn't win with JR Smith" -- yet he contributed greatly to a chip under Bron's tutelage. Mozgov, Delly & Caruso were mere journeymen afterthoughts -- but got big deals after Bron Godfather'd their market value etc.. etc...

Alike, that same chorus is sounding off about how Westbrook isn't a winner -- saying Melo is too old etc...

They just might be the next champion chapters in The Alchemist version of LeGM James --- churning coal into diamonds.

-->
2744612, RE: again I'm like how are the Lakers financially able to do all this?
Posted by Johnny, Tue Aug-03-21 04:33 PM
i think everyone is taking the minimum except THT
not sure how they got him

these last few years of lebrons career everyone will take the min to try to win a ring
looks like they got all their shooters
should be an interesting season
2744615, Vet minimum deals
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 04:36 PM
2744627, Dwight, Melo, Ellington, Bazemore, and Monk are minimums
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 04:57 PM
We had THTs bird rights so we could go over the cap to retain him (same as Dennis)

Nunn seems to be who we signed with our MLE - which we didn't use all of to do it.

That's how.
2744617, THT Resigns for 3/32
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 04:39 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1422663703921635341

Restricted free agent Talen Horton-Tucker has agreed to a three-year, $32M deal to stay with the Los Angeles Lakers, his agents @KlutchSports
CEO Rich Paul and Lucas Newton tell ESPN.

Solid deal.

Just need to see what they're saving that tax-exception MLE for.

Still hoping we can get a sign and trade for Schroder.
2744619, Key signing to buoy the Laker bench; young legs
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:40 PM
Lakers bench not looking half-bad now.

-->
2744628, Very tradable contract as well.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 04:58 PM
I like it.
2744618, Kendrick Nunn too huh? Okay
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 04:39 PM
2744620, damn today is moving fast.
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:42 PM
I'm beyond fascinated with what's going to happen to Dennis after all of this.

-->
2744624, He should honestly sign for 2/30 with a player option
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-03-21 04:46 PM
Bet on himself.

He played himself out of the bag but he can play himself into it again - he's great as a sixth man.
2744626, at this point - probably. the market is dry for him right now
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:56 PM
He probably wishes he didn't turn down that $80 million extension right about now.

>Bet on himself.
>
>He played himself out of the bag but he can play himself into
>it again - he's great as a sixth man.

For sure. He's a mega talent. Despite his challenges this year, he still had his moments - including a huge game in Phoenix in the playoffs.

Something's gotta give though now that Nunn got signed. Pelinka is probably up to something in a sign-and-trade utilizing the tax MLE.

-->
2744633, We used most of the tax MLE on Nunn.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 05:02 PM
We got 890K left of that.
2744649, Somewhere hoping he took the extension like Dennis
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 06:55 PM
2744636, speaking of people turning down money where is Oladipo?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 05:08 PM
2744632, Not sure he has that option after we got Monk and Nunn.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 05:00 PM
That's a crowded ass benchmob for small guards.

Gotta be a S&T in the works.

Someone will take him, and we land Buddy.
2744621, Shit. That's a nice ass backup.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 04:43 PM
Seems a little odd to get both him and Monk though.
2744625, RE: Shit. That's a nice ass backup.
Posted by Vex_id, Tue Aug-03-21 04:53 PM
>Seems a little odd to get both him and Monk though.

potential piece in a sign-and-trade w/ Dennis, perhaps?

-->
2744629, You can't sign a player in FA and flip him like that
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 04:58 PM
To my understanding, once you sign a free agent, you have to wait until December (whenever the designated date is) to begin trading them.

2744631, yah, 3 months or December 15 (may be diff. with the year being weird)
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 05:00 PM
2744630, Cuz, I'm Rob just came to have fun...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 04:58 PM
2744634, Buddy has to happen. Someone will take Dennnis.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 05:05 PM
We'll get a three-way deal done for Buddy.

Come on.

This has been a solid off season so far. I'd call it a triple.

Let's get Buddy and make it a home run.
2744635, As a Celtics fan. I'm sitting here looking mad as Sam Jackson lol
Posted by Lach, Tue Aug-03-21 05:07 PM
Watching the Lakers get better and better.
2744637, Are we going to sign literally anyone???
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Aug-03-21 05:11 PM
Not that we should be making moves just for the sake of making moves... but do SOMETHING Brad!
2744639, team is washed with 2 young stars ready to bolt
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Aug-03-21 05:20 PM
Fuck Boston
Fuck Danny Ainge<<~~` and laugh at him
and now
Fuck Brad Stevens
2744652, Did yall at least resign Time Lord?
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-03-21 08:06 PM
2744654, He's still under contract this year.
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Aug-03-21 08:43 PM
And then we have a qualifying offer next year.
2744656, I think Brad Stevens the GM will be worse that Brad Stevens the coach...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-04-21 08:03 AM
he's relatively new to the NBA world and doesn't have the established relationships with other GM's, agents, teams and players that a lot of other GM's have.
2744657, aye Lach. I was shocked that Boston did NOTHING
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Aug-04-21 08:31 AM
they got out maneuvered by the Chicago Fucking Bulls of all teams this year
2744658, I was searching for info on the Kemba Walker trade
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Aug-04-21 08:39 AM
and found this article explaining why the Celtics aren't making any moves. Here's the link: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-why-celtics-are-staying-quiet-nba-free-agency

Is this talked about much in local Boston media? Assuming the article is correct, it appears the Celtics are wasting Tatum's and Brown's goddamn time by trying to wait around, especially since the East is actually getting more and more competitive.

I wonder if either player will eventually ask to get traded.
2744669, I mean, it's very clear their goal is the 2022/23 free agent pool.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Aug-04-21 10:26 AM
Frankly, it makes sense. If they didn't think anyone they could land this season would help them compete for a title this season-- and I don't really think there was, although I guess they could steal Kawhi and hope he's healthy, but I really doubt that happens-- then it makes sense to just wait it out, develop the young guys, and aim for someone splashy next offseason when the only players on the Celtics' books at all will be Tatum, Brown, and a very tradeable Horford expiring deal.

And, to the point of any fans wondering "why aren't they signing people?", I think it was pretty clear when they included their 2021 first rounder with Kemba to the Thunder, it was clear that the goal is a big time long-term signing, not a small signing. They saved 20 mil taking Horford instead of Kemba, and by trading the 2021 pick, they don't have to pay the rookie deal. It's all about the money save.

Sure, they missed on guys like Otto and Mills... but it's hard to blame guys looking for minimum or low-scale deals for picking teams that can genuinely contend over the Celtics right now. Again, all the more reason I'm sure the Celtics are reluctant to throw multi-year deals at people-- they realize the best way to appeal to minimum/vet free agents of value is to get that third star.
2744680, Thank you for helping me calm down
Posted by pretentious username, Wed Aug-04-21 11:01 AM
I’ve been beyond frustrated the last couple days, but you’re right, though it is worth noting that this is a very risky strategy. If we can’t land Bradley Beal or someone of equal importance next year, I will not be surprised if Tatum and Brown request trades.
2744685, That was going to be a given regardless.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Aug-04-21 11:46 AM
They couldn't afford Chris Paul or Kawhi this offseason. So if they made a push this year, they'd max out at, like, the 4 seed at best, lose second round, now have a lot of money on the books, and miss on the big names due to budget next year anyway. And Tatum and Brown would probably be out anyway. So the result would be the same either way.

At least by waiting, they're giving themselves a chance at a real big name and real contention. Especially while the Bulls, Knicks, and Heat spend like crazy and make themselves less likely to be able to afford the big names next offseason.
2744822, RE: That was going to be a given regardless.
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Aug-06-21 03:17 PM
>They couldn't afford Chris Paul or Kawhi this offseason. So
>if they made a push this year, they'd max out at, like, the 4
>seed at best, lose second round, now have a lot of money on
>the books, and miss on the big names due to budget next year
>anyway. And Tatum and Brown would probably be out anyway. So
>the result would be the same either way.
>
>At least by waiting, they're giving themselves a chance at a
>real big name and real contention. Especially while the Bulls,
>Knicks, and Heat spend like crazy and make themselves less
>likely to be able to afford the big names next offseason.

Not getting a big ticket free agent is one thing, but I don't think the Celts even marginally improved, which isn't asking much given how their season ended. And that's made even worse given how competitive the East is getting now.

In principal and in a complete vacuum, I understand Stevens wanting to serve the team's interests first, but this is a star driven league, so there is a real danger that Stevens looks to serve the Celtics' interests so hard that they alienate Tatum and Jaylen Brown to the point Stevens ultimately screws the Celtics over.

I wonder if Celtics' front office doing a piss poor job in effectively replacing Kemba Walker and Gordan Hayward is a harbinger of things to come.
2744694, yeah I keep hearing rumors of pursuing Beal next summer
Posted by Lach, Wed Aug-04-21 02:37 PM
I'm hoping that works out. In the meantime, if Tatum and Brown keep unleashing, we should at least be a top 6 team in the east. Hopefully. lol
2744695, Brad and JT on the same team *swoon*
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Aug-04-21 02:49 PM
2744638, Malik Monk will be a mega hit in LA if he can keep his life together
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Tue Aug-03-21 05:14 PM
He was wylin in Charlotte until he got suspended
2744643, What did he do? I see he's into anime. Seems like a dork.
Posted by falafel stand pimpin, Tue Aug-03-21 05:45 PM
2744650, RE: He was a big fan of the booger sugar
Posted by Master Thespian, Tue Aug-03-21 07:19 PM
2744651, Ah, thats why we stayed away...damn.
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-03-21 08:04 PM
2744644, Losing Kieff to the Heat hurts our frontcourt depth but InRobWeTrust
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 05:57 PM
2744645, that rob lowe and rich paul combo is murder.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Aug-03-21 06:08 PM
2744646, LOL
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-03-21 06:10 PM
2744647, Mamba left us in good hands, with his mans
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-03-21 06:51 PM
Rob's more than earned his stripes since he took the (purple) reigns.
2744655, facts...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-03-21 09:23 PM
>Rob's more than earned his stripes since he took the (purple)
>reigns.
2744659, Kemba headed to the Knicks
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Aug-04-21 09:12 AM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1422920584523026442?s=20
2744660, I'm seeing on twitter the Knicks will get Kemba Walker.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Aug-04-21 09:16 AM
He'll get bought out by OKC and the Knicks will sign him.

I'm guessing Reggie Jackson and Dennis Schrooder were asking for top dollar?

Not that thrilled with the move as this dude has been so injury prone, but he should be able to create for Randle and Barrett to some degree. I'm hoping the contract will only be for one year; two years top.

Pretty wild that two of the five starters were literally playing for the Celtics last year.
2744662, shit is crazy
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-04-21 09:33 AM
2744672, Walker, Rose, Ntilkina, Quickley, McBride, Harper.. what’s the plan??
Posted by Beezo, Wed Aug-04-21 10:29 AM
2744676, Frank is gone. Harper, G-League.
Posted by Castro, Wed Aug-04-21 10:48 AM
Rose/Kemba starting

IQ/McBride coming off the pine.

Barrett/Grimes at the three

Burks is the featured scorer off the bench and flips between 2 and 3

Randle/Toppin 4

Taj/Noel/Mitch are the bigs and Jerico Sims in the mix for time in that part of the rotation

At least two of these names will be injured or out of favor
2744681, Got it, makes sense
Posted by Beezo, Wed Aug-04-21 11:24 AM
2744684, Fournier?
Posted by Cenario, Wed Aug-04-21 11:42 AM
2744692, RE: Fournier?
Posted by Castro, Wed Aug-04-21 01:20 PM
He's the two
2745284, Now I'm curious
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Aug-20-21 09:28 AM
if Fournier or Barrett will play the 3 in the starting line-up. The game overall is a lot smaller compared to when 5's were dominant, so I guess this shouldn't be that big a deal, but it should be interesting to see what role Barrett will play in terms of spacing and potentially getting offensive rebounds as a 3, of course defending the other team's small forward.

Should be an interesting experiment.
2744679, RE: Walker, Rose, Ntilkina, Quickley, McBride, Harper.. what’s the plan??
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Aug-04-21 10:52 AM
The Knicks turned down an extension on Ntilkina and he's currently a free agent.

I'm hoping Thibs will start Kemba and bring Rose off the bench.

I'm guessing Thibs will make all the young guns earn their playing time off the bench, Quickley included. I'm personally interested in seeing how much Quickley's game has matured from last year. If the rookies provide anything in terms of creating scoring opportunities for themselves or even better, can actually run an offense and distribute the ball to others, that would be gravy IMO.

Now that I'm typing this all out, I'm a bit concerned how well the Knicks will defend from the PG spot, but offensively, the Knicks PG spot is better on paper than it was last season.
2744661, Outside of the Clippers, who else can offer Kawhi Leonard top dollar?
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Aug-04-21 09:30 AM
Mainly curious which other teams can hypothetically afford to give Kawhi Leonard top dollar.
2744663, I think he's staying with the Clippers
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-04-21 09:34 AM
2744664, I know.
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Aug-04-21 09:38 AM
I'm just curious if there are other teams that could even afford him.
2744665, RE: I know.
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-04-21 10:04 AM
>I'm just curious if there are other teams that could even
>afford him.

at this point anything would have to be some kind of sign and trade deal.

I think he wants to stay in LA and the Clippers gave up a lot to get him.
2744668, I think every team thinks they have a shot with the way things played...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-04-21 10:25 AM
out in the postseason with the Bucks, Suns, Hawks and Clippers(without Kawai) making it to the conference finals with almost nobody picking those teams everybody is going all in this offseason lol
2744673, Which is why I honestly respect what the Celtics are doing.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Aug-04-21 10:31 AM
If you think teams like the Bulls, Knicks, and Heat are spending all their money now, but you don't think those pieces are the type to make you a genuine contender, then let everyone else spend their money so you have a full bankroll to play with next free agency, when those Eastern Conference teams will be more restricted in their ability to go for the truly big names. Because while those teams certainly all got better... I'd still favor the Nets and the Bucks over any of them this coming season, tbh.

I'm sure the Celtics fans are frustrated... but Spencer Dinwiddie and Otto Porter weren't going to get the Celtics past the Nets and the Bucks. Better to remain patient, realize that this season you'll be a fringe playoff team at best, see what the young guys can do to find out if you want to pick up their options/extend them, and go all in for a true difference maker in 2023.
2744693, 100% Agree
Posted by blueeclipse, Wed Aug-04-21 02:26 PM
It's been interesting to hear all the griping about the Celtics remaining quiet but at the end of the day there are no big names in this free agent class worth pushing your chips in for. At least not with the Nets and Bucks looming like you said.

This postseason was a false shift because of the injuries. The Bucks probably don't even win the title if the Nets are healthy. They barely got past a Nets team with Durant out there solo.

I never had a problem with what Ainge tried to do with the rebuild and honestly he had the right idea. He got his young pieces and wanted to add a star or two to that. He almost pulled it off. Those young guys are STILL really young so waiting another year is fine with Stevens in charge. Same philosophy.

What sucks about this is that the league is just a hired gun thing now that we can't watch teams really come up and dominate naturally. There's always gonna be some dude lurking who will just hop on a contender like Durant did in Golden State. You fast forward now and Harden couldn't beat that Warriors team but is teaming up with Durant and Kyrie in Brooklyn to try to get a ring and Kyrie beat the Warriors with LeBron before Durant got there which basically made the Warriors go after Durant. This shit is not fun like this.

I'm a Pistons fan. I'm super excited about the rebuild there but will some mfkrs just team up and squash it if they start to get on? We'll see. Will they try to hop on their squad? If Cade ends up being dominant and not winning will he just bounce? Who knows.

The Bucks championship was kind of a fluke but I'm glad it happened and I'm glad Giannis called this shit out. My favorite championships of the last 20 years are the 2004 Pistons, 2008 Celtics, 2010 Lakers, 2011 Mavs, and 2014 Spurs, 2015 Warriors, 2019 Raptors and then this Bucks team.
2744705, I agree. It's just HARD tho to wait lol. But 2022 could be great for us
Posted by Lach, Wed Aug-04-21 06:55 PM
But I will be watching every game to see if Tatum and Brown can take their games up even higher.
2744715, It's a great shot to test the young guys, see who's of value.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Aug-05-21 12:30 AM
Give Nesmith some shots, Pritchard some shots, maybe even guys like Langford and Edwards. I think most of them have team options in their contracts for 2023.
2744723, right 2022 free agent list could potential include KD, Harden, Kyrie...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Aug-05-21 07:05 AM
Beal, LaVine, Kawhi plus probably some others
2744849, Ain't gonna be Kyrie lol
Posted by pretentious username, Fri Aug-06-21 10:18 PM
I think they go after Beal, but LaVine is a possibility.
2744869, 1000% won't be Kyrie lol
Posted by Lach, Sat Aug-07-21 08:46 AM
2744971, I've been hearing they may be looking at Beal too...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-10-21 04:49 PM
>I think they go after Beal, but LaVine is a possibility.

If Boston has 2 STL dudes it will be hard to root against them lol
2744696, Dinwiddie to the Wiz may be folded into the Westbrook deal
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Aug-04-21 04:12 PM
https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/2021-nba-free-agency-live-updates-news-analysis-trades/Sv5IIlL9fSee

Partway down on the page:

"Hearing the most likely outcome is that the Spencer Dinwiddie sign-and-trade becomes part of the Russell Westbrook trade. That would make it, at minimum, a four-team deal (Nets, Lakers, Wizards, Pacers) that includes a sign-and-trade, base-year compensation and the luxury-tax apron, and there may very well be a fifth team involved to drop off unwanted salary. Fasten your seat belts, cap guys; it’s about to get crazy out there"

This could get interesting. Schroder's gotta be involved in that somehow, and we get back another piece.

Right?
2744724, I Get Money (c)Julius
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Aug-05-21 07:35 AM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1423251164011933701?s=20
2744737, I starting to feel bad for Dennis...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Aug-05-21 12:44 PM
https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-dennis-schroder-now-facing-harsh-reality-after-la-spurned-him-for-russell-westbrook/
2744738, Set up a GoFundMe for him then.
Posted by Numba_33, Thu Aug-05-21 12:50 PM
2744743, geez
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Aug-05-21 01:10 PM
2744759, Everyone thought he was wrong for turning down 4/84
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Aug-05-21 04:38 PM
Like, everyone.

People were clowning the Lakers for even OFFERING that.

If you're gonna turn down a deal that automatically makes you overpaid - perhaps...I dunno...don't suck in the most crucial time (and get vaxxed, too while we're at it).
2744745, has anybody heard anything about Tyreke Evans?
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Aug-05-21 01:24 PM
he was "banned" from the league 2 years ago for drugs, he was supposed to be able to re-apply this year, is he done at 31 years old?
2744758, Windhorst said Pels offered CP3 100 mil…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Aug-05-21 04:10 PM
which motivated Phoenix to kick in the 4th year.
2744770, Well, at least they had the right idea! lol
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Aug-05-21 06:50 PM
2744805, That's somewhat interesting
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Aug-06-21 01:13 PM
but unless Chris Paul is a masochist, it didn't make much sense for Chris Paul to leave Phoenix to head to New Orleans.

Was Windhorst saying that New Orleans was the only team to offer Chris Paul a huge contract and their the sole reason Phoenix gave him the four year contract? I find that hard to believe, even given his age and injury history.
2744820, He didn’t say whether or not other teams…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Aug-06-21 02:45 PM
made offers, but he did say that Chris considered the Pelicans’ offer and it played a part in Phoenix giving the 4th year. Looking at the deal with Phoenix, only the first 2 years are fully guaranteed. Year 3 is guaranteed at half of his 31 mil and the 4th year is a team option.
2744824, He maybe alienating Zion
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Aug-06-21 03:20 PM
but at least David Griffin should get some kudos for lining Chris Paul's pockets I suppose. Perhaps he'll get a State Farm cameo next season.
2744785, Dennis Schroder Agrees To a 4-Year, 120 million deal with Lakers
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Aug-05-21 11:58 PM
The Lakers, we're told, don't know what the fuck he's talking about.

Yep, the memes write themselves on this one.

https://twitter.com/NBAMemes/status/1423391354453827585

I'm trying to recall another player who failed this miserably in a single free agency season.

Dwight's post-Lakers slide from all star, DPOY stalwart into a journeyman wearing out his welcome throughout the league was certainly spectacular, but that was a multi-season soap opera.

I think Sprewell might hold this crown, considering he actually had serious credentials before he spit that infamous line and never played again.

But in the modern social media era, I'm struggling to come up with someone who so dramatically and completely killed his own value.

But there has to be others.
2744786, savage
Posted by agentzero, Fri Aug-06-21 05:59 AM
2744791, RE: Dennis Schroder Agrees To a 4-Year, 120 million deal with Lakers
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Aug-06-21 07:42 AM
>The Lakers, we're told, don't know what the fuck he's talking
>about.
>
>Yep, the memes write themselves on this one.
>
>https://twitter.com/NBAMemes/status/1423391354453827585
>
>I'm trying to recall another player who failed this miserably
>in a single free agency season.
>
>Dwight's post-Lakers slide from all star, DPOY stalwart into a
>journeyman wearing out his welcome throughout the league was
>certainly spectacular, but that was a multi-season soap
>opera.

a severe back injury caused Dwight decline

>I think Sprewell might hold this crown, considering he
>actually had serious credentials before he spit that infamous
>line and never played again.
>
>But in the modern social media era, I'm struggling to come up
>with someone who so dramatically and completely killed his own
>value.
>
>But there has to be others.
2744792, his back issues aren't why he wore out his welcome.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Aug-06-21 08:45 AM
2744969, 1 year, 5.9 mill offer from Boston. Damn.
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-10-21 04:01 PM
If he has to sign this, watchout. He is going to wear muhphuckas out just to get his asking price next summer.
2744970, What was stopping him last season?
Posted by pretentious username, Tue Aug-10-21 04:23 PM
>If he has to sign this, watchout. He is going to wear
>muhphuckas out just to get his asking price next summer.
2745101, .
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat Aug-14-21 02:00 AM
2744800, Reggie Jack, back to the Clippers for 2/22
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Aug-06-21 11:48 AM
2744813, Grayson Allen to the Bucks! fuuuuuuck yeeeeeees
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-06-21 02:00 PM
2744817, good replacement for Tucker. guy is a pest
Posted by agentzero, Fri Aug-06-21 02:28 PM
2744828, really?
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Aug-06-21 04:03 PM

2744825, You gotta be focking kidding me??
Posted by allStah, Fri Aug-06-21 03:57 PM
Grayson Allen on the bucks in the central?

Milwaukee, why? I supported you as a neighbor.

A Dukie, and Grayson Allen at that?

2744831, KD's pockets STRAIGHT...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Aug-06-21 04:14 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31974570/kevin-durant-plans-4-year-198m-extension-brooklyn-nets-manager-says

it will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the Nets big 3
2744837, Kawhi Leonard re-signing with LA Clippers:
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Aug-06-21 08:52 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31974511/sources-kawhi-leonard-re-signing-la-clippers-opting-original-contract
2744841, I just need someone to sign Born Ready.
Posted by Castro, Fri Aug-06-21 09:01 PM
He's only 30. You know you getting a guard, a money shot maker, a pick and roll expert...perfect bench spark plug.

The league NEEDS the guitar. We want Lance. (in my Joey Crack voice) Muhphuckas letting Justise steal money, we NEED .....the guitar.
2745614, Odds are looking slim for an American tour for The Guitar
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Aug-30-21 09:25 AM
According to this article ( https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10010286-lance-stephenson-rumors-nets-bucks-76ers-nuggets-among-teams-to-attend-workout ), Lance Stevenson held a private workout two weeks ago. I didn't see any reports on any teams giving him a contract since the two weeks this private workout was held.

I suppose it's possible a team could sign him, but I would think odds are slim since no one signed him at the moment.

Looks as if The Guitar will have to tour overseas for the time being.
2744974, Dennis to the Celtics. 1 year, 5.9 mil.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-10-21 06:00 PM
Turned down a 4/84 for a 1/6.

Ouch.
2744975, ...the letter came back 3 days later, return to sender. DAMN (c)
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-10-21 06:04 PM
2745006, lol
Posted by thejerseytornado, Wed Aug-11-21 04:07 PM

-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia
2745010, bruh
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Aug-11-21 05:09 PM
2744976, Damn
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-10-21 06:14 PM
2744977, To me this outcome is worse than the Boogie/IT situations
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Aug-10-21 06:28 PM
The Boogie and IT missed opportunities happened because of an injury. Sad but part of the game.

Dennis made a very poor calculation that could have been easily avoided with sounds advice. That error cost him money he may *never* makeup.

The crazy part is that if Dennis doesn't get COVID and plays well in the playoffs, he'd probably have gotten the $100M.

"It turns on a trifle." - Phil
2744978, On the positive for Celtics fan
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-10-21 06:30 PM
at least the dude will be motivated since next season will be a contract year for him.

Should be interesting to see how things will unfold since they pretty much whiffed this off-season with free agency.
2744979, So was last year.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Aug-10-21 06:42 PM
He's definitely a talented player, but don't think a contract year will fix the fact he overvalues himself. It sucks - I like him a lot, but this was eye opening. Dude came into the reigning champs from day 1 demanding to be a starter.
2744981, RE: So was last year.
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Aug-10-21 06:45 PM
And he got it because there were no other viable options
2744982, I think his arrogance did him in on this.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Aug-10-21 06:51 PM
I think he thought he had the Lakers over a barrel.

There was a laundry list of reasons for this.

All in all, this is on him.

Looking back, I don't think his miscalulation wasn't so much in his ability, the market, his price tag, etc. Those were all certainly overestimated.

But I think his biggest error was twofold:

1.Miscalculating the Lakers ability to replace him.
2.Miscalculating the teams with cap space and a need for a point guard

Looking back at this whole thing, I think he and his agent were both betting heavy on the Laker's seeming necessity to resign him.

It was a guard heavy free agency period, but that didn't matter much.

I'm sure he believed in himself, but I think, more than that, he believed that the Lakers were stuck.

No cap space, minimal assets, all of this meant that if all else failed, the Lakers would likely be forced to pay up or lose him for nothing, because they didn't have the means to easily replace him.

Until we did, and fit/cap issues be damned, we replaced him with a HOF player with a few years left of his prime. Moreover, there were better and/or better seasoned players at his position.

Lowry, Lonzo, and Dinwiddie were the names that kept buzzing in that field. CP3 was nearly a forgone conclusion.

Prior to Westbrook, I think he figured, the Lakers lacked the assets to replace him, and so he had them in a corner. I think he played his hand based on that.
2744999, agree on all that
Posted by Johnny, Wed Aug-11-21 12:47 PM
sucks for him but he is still 27
so hopefully he can somewhat recoup this lost contract
but damn saying no to 20 mill per year to play for the Lakers, crazy
2745002, He won’t get the reps in Boston to really recoup
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-11-21 02:46 PM
Dude the 4th option at best behind Smart, Tatum and Brown. That order is intentional lol. Dennis coming off the bench and getting scraps

Dude may have done irreparable damage to his earning potential altogether by not taking our overpay.
2745004, Wanted to see him get that bag, too…
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Aug-11-21 03:03 PM
he got a young child. Like you, I can’t see him playing enough in Boston to fill up another bag like the one he turned down.
2745007, I'm waiting for the story behind this to come out.
Posted by Cold Truth, Wed Aug-11-21 04:11 PM
I have my best guesses based on the little that's out there. I'd bet that I'm relatively close to the mark, but maybe not.

One thing I wonder about, is if anyone offered him something less than the 25 he wanted, and he just rejected it. I can't imagine someone not making an offer around 15.

I don't think he's a 25 million dollar player, but 15-18, especially on a team where he can do his thing? Certainly.

Or I wonder if teams just preferred the other options available and didn't even consider him.

Dallas needs another guard, and they had zero interest, reportedly.

2745008, maybe he just isnt well liked in league circles
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Aug-11-21 04:46 PM
2745102, Kraut Kwame pockets KAPUT!
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sat Aug-14-21 02:05 AM
2745103, Damn Strudel!!
Posted by Beezo, Sat Aug-14-21 03:07 AM
2745078, LA Clippers re-sign Kawhi Leonard to 4-year, $176.3 million max deal:
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Aug-13-21 02:34 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32010790/la-clippers-sign-kawhi-leonard-4-year-1763-million-deal
2745153, A medium sized Woj Bomb on Sunday night
Posted by Numba_33, Sun Aug-15-21 07:18 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1427061342016610304

The Los Angeles Clippers are trading Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and Daniel Oturu to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Eric Bledsoe,
sources tell ESPN.

I had no idea Eric Bledsoe's contract was so bad that he could get traded for three dudes like that. Somewhat interesting trade. Part of me wonders why the Pelicans didn't trade for those three when they had Eric Bledsoe some months ago.
2745154, Good for the Clippers.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sun Aug-15-21 07:19 PM
I still don't like them without Lou Williams, but this helps.
2745155, Part of me
Posted by Numba_33, Sun Aug-15-21 07:23 PM
makes me think Luka constantly cooking Patrick Beverly is why this trade went down. For me to fully believe that, I'd have to know how good of a defensive player Eric Bledsoe is, and I have no clue since I don't watch Pelicans games.

I also have to think Reggie Jackson playing well in this off season and the Clippers having more confidence in him is why this trade went down as well. He in theory makes Rondo expendable.

Still a somewhat wild trade since the Pelicans pretty much dumped the dude to get rid of his salary.
2745157, Looks like a team with their top scorer injured is looking for scoring
Posted by RandomFact, Sun Aug-15-21 11:26 PM
bledsoe can put up 16 or whatever points a game. the other guys can't.

>makes me think Luka constantly cooking Patrick Beverly is why
>this trade went down.

Luka consistently cooks pretty much everyone on the Clippers (and the league) though.
2745190, Nah it was the shove in the back to Chris Paul
Posted by guru0509, Tue Aug-17-21 09:07 AM
jerry west doesnt tolerate shit like that. luka would cook most guys defending him, i doubt that was his downfall

>makes me think Luka constantly cooking Patrick Beverly is why
>this trade went down. For me to fully believe that, I'd have
>to know how good of a defensive player Eric Bledsoe is, and I
>have no clue since I don't watch Pelicans games.
>
>I also have to think Reggie Jackson playing well in this off
>season and the Clippers having more confidence in him is why
>this trade went down as well. He in theory makes Rondo
>expendable.
>
>Still a somewhat wild trade since the Pelicans pretty much
>dumped the dude to get rid of his salary.
2745156, Man starting the new season with a suspension...
Posted by Dstl1, Sun Aug-15-21 07:26 PM
from his last act as a Clipper. Gotta hate that.
2745158, Bev gets to bully backup PGs now....and Memphis will love him
Posted by Castro, Sun Aug-15-21 11:43 PM
This is a good move for him. Rondo? I thought he was going to end up becoming an assistant to Ty Lue.
2745160, Somebody on Twitter said Beverly going to Memphis…
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-16-21 07:53 AM
brings him one step closer to his goal of becoming Tony Allen.
2745161, he's basically a replacement for Grayson Allen
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-16-21 08:42 AM
2745165, I understand the financial aspect to this
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Aug-16-21 12:16 PM
Memphis will probably eventually get buyouts for both Bev and Rondo and they'll go to contenders closer to the deadline, so they get out from under Bledsoe's contract at a discount.

But this doesn't help either team. Guess the Clips are just punting this year - don't blame them.
2745172, RE: I understand the financial aspect to this
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-16-21 03:48 PM
>Memphis will probably eventually get buyouts for both Bev and
>Rondo and they'll go to contenders closer to the deadline, so
>they get out from under Bledsoe's contract at a discount.
>
>But this doesn't help either team. Guess the Clips are just
>punting this year - don't blame them.
Yep…and they essentially dump Rondo’s salary and Reggie gets the reigns at point.
2745173, RE: I understand the financial aspect to this
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-16-21 03:52 PM

>Yep…and they essentially dump Rondo’s salary and Reggie
>gets the reigns at point.

over Bledsoe?
2745174, Based on his play last year, especially in the playoffs…yes
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-16-21 04:05 PM
2745191, You think they're punting after being a couple games from the Finals?
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Tue Aug-17-21 09:16 AM
That doesnt make sense.
2745193, I mean, by all accounts Kawhi is gonna be out most of the season
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Aug-17-21 09:26 AM
Which could easily turn into all of the season.

So the idea that they don’t push too hard this season in hopes of loading up again in ‘22-‘23 isn’t far fetched.
2745196, and if we do know anything about Kawhi…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-17-21 09:32 AM
he is not coming back til he’s damn well ready. So, why not get some cap room and pick up an expiring contract in Bledsoe?
2745203, Best case scenario, Bledsoe helps keep them in the mix...
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Aug-17-21 11:06 AM
...and then Kawhi is ready is to come back for a playoff push, to make them potentially dangerous.
2745176, Marcus Smart's pockets STRAIGHT...:
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-16-21 07:58 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944732-marcus-smart-celtics-reportedly-agree-to-4-year-771-max-contract-extension
2745200, Hope Patrick can get his security deposit back…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-17-21 10:10 AM
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1427647978240684046?s=20
2745201, Lol
Posted by Beezo, Tue Aug-17-21 10:13 AM
2745208, He still in line waiting for his barbecue.
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-17-21 12:15 PM
2745209, big picture wise he's making $14mil this year which is not bad for a guy...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-17-21 12:19 PM
that scrapped his way into the league through europe, g-league and everything else.
2745212, Well, yeah man…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-17-21 02:05 PM
none of these dudes are missing any meals. Dennis made like 15 mil, the last 3 seasons. When you do all that Bev did, though, you gotta hold that one.

https://twitter.com/TheCrossover/status/1147497946964996096?s=20

https://twitter.com/moseskumingaszn/status/1427650001170173954?s=20
2745515, yeah, he turned the cup of coffee into a starting job
Posted by Castro, Fri Aug-27-21 01:37 PM
2745211, What a humbling offseason.
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Aug-17-21 01:09 PM
At least he's still getting his paper, but what a blow to the ego for this loudmouth.
2745214, Nets-Lakers Christmas Day...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-17-21 02:16 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-releases-christmas-day-schedule-starring-lakers-and-nets-190418860.html
2745510, Lauri headed to Cleveland…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Aug-27-21 11:21 AM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1431287193918742531?s=20
2745513, Cleveland is so incompetent.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-27-21 12:16 PM
They signed Allen long-term despite knowing they were drafting Mobley, and now they sign Markannen for four years? What are they DOING?
2745514, WE HAVE THE BIGS!!!
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Aug-27-21 12:45 PM
2745519, If Lauri starts at the 4...
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Aug-27-21 02:10 PM
...I expect him to lose the job by Christmas.
2745520, You've got to wonder if they're considering him at the 3.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-27-21 02:46 PM
In which case, everyone will lose their job by Christmas.
2745522, Right?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Aug-27-21 03:18 PM
Lauri definitely can't guard 3s.

KC Johnson mentioned this which I found interesting:

"According to two sources, the talks originally centered on Markkanen landing with the Trail Blazers in exchange for Jones Jr. and the lottery-protected first-round pick. When the Bulls sought an extra second-round pick, the talks expanded to include the Cavaliers."

I never heard that the Cavs were interested in Markkanen.
2745529, Nance is a better overall player than Lauri today.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-27-21 05:34 PM
So I bet the Blazers were overjoyed that that opportunity presented itself, lol.
2745516, So is Mobley going to play as a 3?
Posted by Castro, Fri Aug-27-21 01:38 PM
2745523, Is Larry Nance Jr. good enough to satiate Dame Lillard's needs?
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Aug-27-21 03:23 PM
I'm honestly asking because I don't watch enough of the Cavs to know how good to dude is. I'm guessing the Trailblazers need to do more seeing as how good and deep the West is, but I could be wrong.
2745527, He's definitely good enough to make them better.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Aug-27-21 05:33 PM
Like, I think there was some question if they could avoid the play-in game, and this move definitely makes that more likely. They were and are gonna run a three-guard lineup, but for situations where they need forwards, they had Covington and Jones... and that's it. I think Nance is a major upgrade to what this roster needs on both ends, and he gives them a big boost in roster flexibility. He can easily be a versatile 4 in the three guard lineups. He can play a small ball 5 if needed.

I also just think he's much better than what he could be on the Cavs. It's very hard to be a net positive player on a consistently bad team, and he's been that. He's not suited to be your team's second or third best player, in the way the Cavs kinda sorta needed him to be... but as a 4th/5th option, I think he's really awesome.

Now, he obviously doesn't make them a title contender. They aren't better than the Lakers, Suns, Jazz, Nuggets, healthy Warriors. They're going to try to push the Mavs and the Kawhi-less Clippers for the 6 seed. It may still not be enough to make Lillard happy... but this is a savvy move that makes the team better, so we'll see.
2745530, No, but he’s an excellent 4th option or so on a team.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Aug-27-21 05:34 PM
2745994, Nance Jr is the best part of this entire trade scenario...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Tue Sep-07-21 09:40 AM
..Dame is gonna love having a hustler like him on the roster.

2745532, if jones jr can contribute at pf off the bench and we we get a mid-first
Posted by RandomFact, Fri Aug-27-21 05:55 PM
this is a big big win.

even if the pick is in the low 20's it's a win.

a mid to lowish 20's pick does seem like a fair deal for lauri on paper though. just not sure how he fits with the cavs (and don't care!).

2745545, "luka's been working on his cardio this offseason"
Posted by Reeq, Sat Aug-28-21 12:14 PM
luka:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E90IAlUXsAAzQ7F?format=jpg&name=large
2745551, Medicinal...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Aug-28-21 12:36 PM
2745552, OH NO NOT HOOKAH
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Aug-28-21 01:15 PM
2746000, Luka Ray Doncic
Posted by Castro, Tue Sep-07-21 10:30 AM
"The ship be sinking"
2745558, Kevin Love: “Fuck you, pay me.”
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Aug-28-21 01:48 PM
He’s refusing a buyout from Cleveland. Wants to cash all 60 mil of what’s left on his deal. Good for him imo. Get that money.
2745562, Lol, reminds me of that Steve Nash quote…
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Aug-28-21 02:27 PM
does he have to take the last bit? Yes…I do. Every last bit.
2745575, As he, and any other player, should.
Posted by Ryan M, Sat Aug-28-21 04:51 PM
If you want that money, you deserve that money. Cleveland wanted to retain an all star when Bron and Kyrie left - as such, Loves play doesn’t ultimately matter. He’s obviously overpaid - but oh well. Same situation with so many players under contract. The power is in his hands. If he WANTS out, different story. But get the money and fuck these owners.
2745580, That's great but he can't complain about the team at the same time.
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Aug-28-21 07:08 PM
2745588, Ha fair.
Posted by Cenario, Sun Aug-29-21 09:22 AM
2745595, Sure he can.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Aug-29-21 12:06 PM
If your bosses suck and they owe you money, then bitch all you want while you cash those checks.
2745634, Yeah, nah
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Aug-30-21 01:42 PM
It's not like they're asking him to do some NFL shit and saying, "Hey, re-structure your deal so we can free up more money to bring in more players." They're saying, "Hey, let us give you less money than you're owed so we can cut you and get better in the future." Fuck that.
2745635, he has the contract and is owned the money but be a good vet sit on...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-30-21 01:55 PM
the bench and STFU and collect your money. The team sucks partially because of his dumbass contract. That's why the young stars they have drafted want to leave.
2745636, This absolutely isn't true.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-30-21 02:53 PM
>The team sucks
>partially because of his dumbass contract.

When Bron left, they had to start a team from scratch, because the entire supporting cast of players either left due to their short term deals expiring or were about to leave and just checked out (JR Smith, Jordan Clarkson). So the cupboard was completely bare.

The Cavs haven't signed a single free agent to a multi-year deal since Bron left IIRC. They've gone after such sterling single year free agents as John Henson and Brandon Knight. They extended Cedi Osman for four years. They traded for Dellavedova's contract. They traded for Drummond's massive contract and had to buy him out. Like... these are all bad moves. Really bad moves. Moves for an organization with no plan.

So if Kevin Love was putting up 28 and 15 annually, they would still be a lottery-bound team. If anything, they should thank him for sitting out, because it makes it that much more likely that they aren't accidentally good so they can keep accruing lotto picks for the next 2 years while Mobley builds muscle.

Besides, when they offered Love that dumbass contract, what's Love supposed to do? He's about to turn 30, he was playing in a league that increasingly values switchability or rim protection (neither of which he provides), and the Cavaliers had his Bird rights, so no team in free agency could've signed him for as much money as the Cavs were able to offer. He saw that the Cavs would be desperate to retain *somebody* from the Big 3 era, and he extracted maximum value from their desperation. Good for him.

>That's why the
>young stars they have drafted want to leave.

Let's look at why Colin Sexton might be pissed at the Cavs:

a) the Cavaliers draft him, then draft a player at the exact same position as him the following year. They try to play them both together, and it doesn't work, because, astonishingly, playing two 6'1 guards on the court is really bad. And Garland is the better 3-point shooter, better passer, and oddly enough better defender, so the Cavs are clearly more interested in him as their PG of the future (and aren't hiding that they're trying to trade Sexton).

b) he'll be due a new deal after this year, but the front office keeps spending all of their money on big men. Trading to pay Drummond nearly 60 mil over two years. Extending Love for 120 mil. Drafting Evan Mobley... and then immediately signing Jarrett Allen, who plays the same position as Mobley, and paying him 100 mil (?!?!). And yes, trading for Lauri Markannen and signing him for nearly 70 mil. Why would any guard think they'd get a massive deal from the Cavs? You only get money from the Cavs if you're 6'11+ (in a league where big men are decreasing in value!).

c) the Cavs have had four different coaches since he's arrived, so understandably, his development hasn't really gone according to plan. Yes, he's still a dynamite dribble-driver and shot creator for himself off the bounce, but he's not currently a very good passer, not currently any more than an average distance shooter, not currently a good defender (baffling considering what a dog he was at Alabama on that end), and not currently a player that's given teams anywhere an indication that he can help them win. So even if the Cavs trade him (they will) or let him walk, he's not getting a max deal either way in all likelihood.

d) Kevin Love is not currently playing basketball for the Cavs.

I'd think A, B, and C are waaaaaaay bigger deals.

If I were Mobley, I'd be pissed too, tbh. Even if Love is just paid to stay home, they're paying 100 mil to a guy who plays the same position as Mobley... and if they thought Mobley could play the 4 (which would be a waste imo), they then signed Markannen to a 4-year-deal too! So either they're just going to play Mobley over these guys, in which case it was a huge waste of money and what the fuck are the Cavs doing, or Mobley isn't going to play as much as possible, in which case what the fuck are the Cavs doing.
2745570, Grizzlies buy out Rondo…
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Aug-28-21 03:57 PM
Lakers reportedly the front runners.
2745632, Lakers…
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Aug-30-21 12:26 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1432389496218263558?s=20
2745701, Ben: Imma head out…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-31-21 03:14 PM
https://twitter.com/JClarkNBCS/status/1432786028977328129?s=20
2745703, Writing's been on the wall. I'd... love him in Portland.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-31-21 03:40 PM
Trade CJ McCollum, Greg Brown, some young forward the Sixers might like (Nassir Little? Harry Giles? Trendon Watford? multiple? doesn't matter), and a future first rounder.

Philly would immediately get better by adding more shooting and ball handling. Plus they'd be extracting good value in a guard who could almost certainly contend for a guard All-Star spot in the East and however many potential young forwards that could come off the bench for energy.

Portland would immediately get *worlds* better defensively and adds versatility on both ends. Simmons doesn't really need to shoot on the court if he's got Lillard and Powell, not to mention guys like Covington and Nance who can also make stand-still 3s effectively. I'd like their chances to make a Top 4 seed in the West with Simmons over McCollum.
2745705, That works, but because Ben is spoiled, he probably ends up in
Posted by Castro, Tue Aug-31-21 05:04 PM
somewhere like OKC or Minnesota.
2745708, Minnesota already has a point guard that is better than Simmons
Posted by guru0509, Tue Aug-31-21 05:22 PM
>somewhere like OKC or Minnesota.
2745709, Problem is that Minnesota starts three non-defenders.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-31-21 05:25 PM
Shit, four if you include Beasley in that mix. Even if you like Minnesota's top three all better than Simmons, there's an argument to make a move for his defense, because Minnesota is once again staring down the barrel of some worst-in-the-NBA level defense.
2745721, Touché, Dlo is atrocious defensively
Posted by guru0509, Wed Sep-01-21 01:01 AM
>Shit, four if you include Beasley in that mix. Even if you
>like Minnesota's top three all better than Simmons, there's an
>argument to make a move for his defense, because Minnesota is
>once again staring down the barrel of some worst-in-the-NBA
>level defense.
2745710, Morey *does* strike me as the type of dude...
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-31-21 05:30 PM
... who will just punt off the asset for picks and shit to the shittiest team imaginable, just because he'd rather receive potential future value than unequal present-day value.
2745716, Cavaliers sign Tacko Fall-- another big man! Of course!
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-31-21 08:00 PM
lol, what an absolute jooooooooke
2745717, Somebody help me understand
Posted by Beezo, Tue Aug-31-21 09:28 PM
2745718, It defies understanding. They're singularly incompetent.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-31-21 09:45 PM
2745719, Yea, that about sums it up
Posted by Beezo, Tue Aug-31-21 09:51 PM
2745841, Nets send DeAndre to DeTroit…
Posted by Dstl1, Fri Sep-03-21 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1433889032291954691?s=20
2745842, I almost forgot Jah is still in the league tbh
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Sep-03-21 03:55 PM
2745849, From National Champion... to NBA Champion?
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Sep-03-21 06:08 PM
Please, I pray to the Agenda Gods, let this happen. He can play 1 MPG for all I care, get my man an NBA ring.

(I don't expect him to make the final roster, tbh. They have a lot of center minutes accounted for and they want to make more uptempo than Jah can really handle. But a man can pray.)
2746100, Grand Opening….
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Thu Sep-09-21 04:32 PM
2746110, lol, hey, I called it in that post.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-09-21 06:06 PM
They just have way too many players already, and they'll have any buyout candidate of value knocking on their door before the deadline. There's just not a reason to keep him, beyond my desire to see it happen, which frankly should've been given further consideration.
2745846, Anyone remember when Jordan was supposed to be the...
Posted by mrhood75, Fri Sep-03-21 05:33 PM
...third member of the Nets "Big 3" when KD and Kyrie signed there? Two years later and he's luxury tax write off. Injuries suck.
2745847, No. He was never touted part as a "Big 3" for the Nets.
Posted by guru0509, Fri Sep-03-21 06:02 PM
the Nets original plan was just Kyrie and KD along with Levert and the other guys that got traded away. Harden became available after he began pouting in Houston.

the only reason the Nets signed him was that he is close friends with KD and Kyrie, and he was leaving on a sour note with the Knicks.

>...third member of the Nets "Big 3" when KD and Kyrie signed
>there? Two years later and he's luxury tax write off. Injuries
>suck.
2745848, Everyone should've known this was going to happen.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Sep-03-21 06:07 PM
He was over 30, making a ton of money, and touting a "rim protector" efficacy that had been dwindling since, if we're being honest, his All-Star appearance in 2017. Yeah, the injuries didn't help... but it's also increasingly a league of spread offenses, and in terms of anchoring a defense and cleaning away all the problems in today's NBA, I'm not convinced he *ever* could've been that guy. It's such a different league than it was during his peak.

So yeah. I'm honestly surprised it took this long.
2746018, sheed said bron wouldnt ball out in his era.
Posted by Reeq, Tue Sep-07-21 06:21 PM
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1435245811064057866

he must be talking about some variant cuz bron was in the league for like half sheeds career (and we all remember *that* series).
2746103, I mean DJ has nothing left right?
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Sep-09-21 05:36 PM
He can't be worse than Drummond. But also...he can.
2746113, He's better than Drummond, but neither can switch, obviously.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-09-21 06:11 PM
I think you have to play him just like Dwight Howard. Short bursts off the bench, drop coverage, tell him "grab offensive boards, protect the rim, do literally nothing else." If they step beyond 3 feet from the rim, they are liabilities.
2746211, we need the depth, unlike Drummond who came in w/ expectations to start...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Sep-10-21 05:31 PM
DJ knows he's going to be a bench player. Apparently Gasol had some gripes about coming off the bench last year even though he started the season out of shape. DJ was actually solid when the Nets played him in spot duty last year but Nash/Antoni were committed to small ball.

It gives us some versatility in the front court because well know AD is not exactly an Ironman and will continues his resistance to start at the 5 and we only have Melo behind him.

The default "lineup of death" in the postseason is Bron/AD at the 4/5 but we need the others to help us get there.
2746209, Looks like Marc Gasol is done with the NBA
Posted by Ryan M, Fri Sep-10-21 04:55 PM
Traded from LAL-> MEM to start his career and then to end it. Marc, 2nd rounder, and cash to Memphis for a dude who won't ever play in the NBA to save 10 mil.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1436397532192591879

Bummed it couldn't work out last year, but I'll always love Marc.
2746528, Finally...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Wed Sep-15-21 10:58 AM
..I wish Gasol well.

2746476, Rockets are looking to trade Wall... without buying him out.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-14-21 12:37 PM
aka John Wall will be sitting the entire season.

Without a buyout, there's no moving that contract. Two years of the fourth highest pay in the NBA, plus a third year with a player option for over 47 mil (which Wall will absolutely take). Like... zero shot he's getting moved without a buyout.
2746477, I really don't understand his thinking here.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Sep-14-21 12:40 PM
Like, he CAN still play - and he shouldn't take a buyout unless he wants to, of course - but how does NOT playing help him at all?

Without really understanding the marketplace - is there even a place that would/could trade for him, in the same way Horford was acquired by OKC?
2746489, Horford's guaranteed money in the next two seasons...
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-14-21 03:30 PM
... is less than one of Wall's seasons.

And Wall has, with the player option, three years of money left on this deal.

So I get that he wants to preserve gas in his tank, and I get that Houston wants to straight up tank and get as many miles on these young players as possible. I think it's why they're both amicable about wanting to move on from each other.

... but it's not happening without a buyout. There's just zero chance. It's like 140 mil over the next three years for a guy that'll be turning 35 in that last year of the deal. No contender has that money lying around, and Wall likely isn't interested in going to some 25-win team so he can bust ass just to try to sneak them into the play-in.

I don't know what will happen.
2746488, Aaron Gordon signs a 4 year/92 mil extension with Denver…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Sep-14-21 03:07 PM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1437868295852548096?s=20
2746616, Got faked….
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Sep-17-21 08:46 PM
https://twitter.com/shamscharaiia/status/1438871440577777674?s=21

Why did my Twitter algorithm pop up a fake shams?
2746867, The Athletic has a history of "breaking" bogus stories
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-21-21 09:23 AM
2746866, JJ Redick announces retirement
Posted by Oak27, Tue Sep-21-21 08:09 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZzAbwgRcU
2746870, One of the best 3-point shooters in basketball history.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-21-21 10:25 AM
Only four NBA players rank in the top 20 all-time in both 3-point makes and 3-point percentage: Steph, Klay, Kyle Korver, and JJ. Unreal considering where his NBA career started and how, late in his career, he kept peaking and re-peaking.

Also, on a personal note, one of my favorite players of all time. Went to school with him, watched him more times than I can count. Truly impressive how he went from being the most hated basketball player in America to being the beloved elder statesman of the game. An inspiration in terms of work ethic.
2747034, Gersson Rosas fired as T'wolves' president of basketball operations
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-23-21 12:10 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32258607/gersson-rosas-minnesota-timberwolves-president-basketball-operations
2747035, Wiggins remains unvaccinated jeopardizing his availability for GS...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-23-21 12:13 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32261240/warriors-andrew-wiggins-remains-unvaccinated-source-says-jeopardizing-availability-golden-state
2747037, nigga finally shows some heart and commitment
Posted by Reeq, Thu Sep-23-21 01:21 PM
and it aint with basketball.
2747038, lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Sep-23-21 01:42 PM
>and it aint with basketball.
2747039, ?
Posted by allStah, Thu Sep-23-21 01:53 PM
Played 71 of 72 games last season, is one of the most durable
players in the league, is now an outstanding defender, solid offensive
skills, a professional on and off the court....

and that is your comment?

2747042, It's a fucking joke, you insufferable buffoon
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Sep-23-21 02:43 PM
>Played 71 of 72 games last season, is one of the most
>durable
>players in the league, is now an outstanding defender, solid
>offensive
>skills, a professional on and off the court....
>
>and that is your comment?

jesus christ, are you really this dense and joyless?

2747045, There isn’t anything funny about questioning the heart
Posted by allStah, Thu Sep-23-21 03:06 PM
of a player who is a straight up player and person, and
especially when it comes to a player who played his heart
out for his team, when other players were in and out of the
lineup.

And thanks for the immature name calling. I can always count
on you to be infantile and combative, even when the situation
or subject doesn’t pertain to you.

If you need counseling, then I suggest you seek it. I’m not
interested in having any kind of interaction with you.

2747089, Get a sense of humor, you joyless. insufferably malignant twit
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Sep-24-21 04:17 PM
Scratch that. I wound up reading after the fact.

You know what's infantile and combative?
You know what's immature?

Being so overly, sternly serious that you treat a very clear and obvious roast as serious commentary- and then double down on that tight-fisted perspective even after it's been explained to you.

You're nowhere near that obtuse. It's intentional.

Far as that "counseling" bushit, nobody needs counseling because they respond to your insufferably humourless approach to quality humor.
2747044, lol
Posted by Ryan M, Thu Sep-23-21 02:52 PM
2747040, lmao
Posted by Cenario, Thu Sep-23-21 01:57 PM
2747051, I read this in the voice of Tupac in Juice…
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Sep-23-21 05:01 PM
…finally decides to stand up like a man and throw down…too bad Raheem had to die, first
2747076, No comment on Kyrie?
Posted by The Mac, Fri Sep-24-21 11:38 AM
2747077, Not really surprised
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Sep-24-21 12:07 PM
2747240, Add Brad Beal to the No Vaccine crew.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Sep-27-21 03:31 PM
https://twitter.com/avarwallace/status/1442552154871373827?s=20

Wiggins, Kyrie, Isaac, Beal. MPJ, probably. That's a hell of a No Vax lineup, tbh.

(Also, this is insanely depressing.)
2747287, Good for him and the rest. They can all sit down from here on out.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Sep-28-21 01:27 PM
2747245, Zion gotta shed some pounds or he's heading to Brandon Royville
Posted by Castro, Mon Sep-27-21 05:56 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/pelicans-star-zion-williamson-suffered-fractured-right-foot-in-offseason-workout-152902010.html

New Orleans Pelicans star Zion Williamson fractured his right foot during an offseason workout prior to summer league in early August, vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said on media day.

Williamson had the foot surgically repaired during the summer. Griffin, Pelicans general manager Trajan Langdon, first-year coach Willie Green and Aaron Nelson, the team's vice president of player care and performance, met with Williamson and his family on Sunday to establish a schedule for his return to play.

"His timeline should get him back on the court in time for the regular season," Griffin said during his media availability on Monday. "That would be our hope and our view, and we're very optimistic about what that looks like. Unfortunately, I know that's going to be taken as a very big negative for all of you. It's really not for us, because we were dealing with it all offseason, and we feel very confident about where things are."
2747281, Porter, Jr just got a 5 year 207 mill dollar max extension.
Posted by allStah, Tue Sep-28-21 11:43 AM
Got damn, that’s damn near 50 mil a year. He is young and has great
offensive ability, but for a guy who is shit on defense and has a repaired back,
that’s a very risky investment.

That’s focking Giannis money....Giannis got 222 mil for five years.

So is Denver saying he is their franchise player?
2747283, I respect Denver going all in like this.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-28-21 12:05 PM
They realize this year could be tough because, even when Murray does return, he's going to be rusty. And they didn't want to risk MPJ being tempted to leave for a contender. They think Jokic/Murray/MPJ is good enough to win a title going forward.

Are they right? Time will tell, I guess. But in a league where so many teams shy away from spending unless they're already presently in title contention, I respect Denver for saying, "For better or worse, this is where we wanna be for the next 5 years." And that core is all still young, they can definitely build to something special if all breaks well.
2747285, Yup. They recognize what they've got.
Posted by Ryan M, Tue Sep-28-21 12:37 PM
Will MPJ be able to stay healthy? Who knows - but this is really a "We have a generational talent in Jokic and really great complementary pieces with a lot of upside. Time to push it all in the middle."

I respect the shit out of it.
2747286, right, didn't they give Gordon a deal too?
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-28-21 01:27 PM
2747290, Yep. They like their team, and they're paying to keep it together.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-28-21 02:07 PM
The Gordon deal is the one I'd... personally be least crazy about, but I get it. They need players who can defend with their three stars, whose defensive acumen ranges from "mediocre" to "really bad." And they probably think Gordon's still young enough that, in Denver's impressive player development system, they could maybe squeeze more juice out of his offensive potential.
2747291, RE: Yep. They like their team, and they're paying to keep it together.
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-28-21 02:15 PM
>The Gordon deal is the one I'd... personally be least crazy
>about, but I get it. They need players who can defend with
>their three stars, whose defensive acumen ranges from
>"mediocre" to "really bad." And they probably think Gordon's
>still young enough that, in Denver's impressive player
>development system, they could maybe squeeze more juice out of
>his offensive potential.

I could see that, at the same time with those other 3 guys do they really need that much offense from him?
2747314, Not really, no.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Sep-28-21 08:40 PM
>>The Gordon deal is the one I'd... personally be least crazy
>>about, but I get it. They need players who can defend with
>>their three stars, whose defensive acumen ranges from
>>"mediocre" to "really bad." And they probably think Gordon's
>>still young enough that, in Denver's impressive player
>>development system, they could maybe squeeze more juice out
>of
>>his offensive potential.
>
>I could see that, at the same time with those other 3 guys do
>they really need that much offense from him?

My problem is that, at least last year, Gordon's defense was more hypothetical than reality. He had negative defensive BPM, low defensive win shares, and per on/off numbers, the defense was more effective with him off the floor than with him on it.

That said, he only played 25 games with them, so clearly there's still potential once he's more fully in the system. But clearly the signing is all based on his raw potential in this system, his switchability, his athleticism and versatility in a front court with a center who is neither athletic nor switchable. I thought the price might have been a tad high or the years a tad long, especially because I think Denver would be a pretty attractive destination for a 4 that can defend and hustle alongside Jokic.

But again, they like where they're at, they want to pay to keep it together, and I respect that choice. Too many teams get cute when it comes to shelling out the big contracts, and Denver isn't playing.
2747289, He now has the 8th richest contract in NBA history and
Posted by allStah, Tue Sep-28-21 01:41 PM
is the highest paid player on the team, and he has never made an allStar
team or all NBA team.

They are banking on potential. It’s a huge gamble. I’m
not saying he will not live up to that contract, but he will now
have a target on his back by the fans and players to live up
to the amount of money he is being paid.

He is being paid mega superstar money, and he is the third option
on his team at the moment.
2747294, RE: He now has the 8th richest contract in NBA history and
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Sep-28-21 02:24 PM

>He is being paid mega superstar money, and he is the third
>option
>on his team at the moment.

is he?
2747296, Yes.
Posted by allStah, Tue Sep-28-21 02:34 PM
Murray and Jokic are the pgs of the team, so they are going
to dominate the possessions by default.

A point guard and point center on the floor , with porter being
the option 3 wing player ( for the moment).

We don’t know what the future holds, but right now he is the third option.

Players with 200 million dollar contracts:

Curry
Westbrook
Gobert
Young
Doncic
Giannis
Porter, jr....

One of those players don’t belong...maybe 2

2747307, They did a breakdown on his contract on ESPN.
Posted by allStah, Tue Sep-28-21 04:57 PM
It’s an incentive based contract. If he makes an all nba team, fulfilling the incentive, that would push his contract to 207 million. So it’s a 5 year/172 million dollar deal with an incentive to make up to 207 million. It’s still the 8 richest contract in total.

Now that makes more sense. He does have the
POTENTIAL to be a superstar player.

But with his repaired back , it makes that deal extremely risky.
That’s still a huge ass contract.
2747299, Robin Lopez is doing his own research
Posted by DJR, Tue Sep-28-21 02:45 PM
Lololol
http://twitter.com/wutangkids/status/1442675387314671617?s=21
2747317, Lmao!
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Wed Sep-29-21 07:40 AM
2747322, My fellow Fresno + Treegang reprsentative nm
Posted by vik, Wed Sep-29-21 09:37 AM
2747547, yeah I low key cringe at some of these other dudes that barely completed...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Oct-04-21 03:49 PM
1 year of college talking about they have to do their "research" like really fam? You're going to find out something all these drs and people with multiple degrees haven't?
2747533, andrew wiggins did his research.
Posted by Reeq, Mon Oct-04-21 11:44 AM
and found out half his salary is a lot less than all of his salary.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1444738528198471682
2747549, I don't care how he got there, as long as he got the vaccine
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Oct-04-21 04:08 PM
I don't need pure motivations to do the right thing. It's enough to know the right thing got done.
2747575, RE: I don't care how he got there, as long as he got the vaccine
Posted by go mack, Tue Oct-05-21 10:38 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32341148/warriors-andrew-wiggins-explains-decision-get-covid-19-vaccine-options-were-get-vaccinated-not-play-nba

2747620, ***face palm***
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-05-21 05:36 PM
2747592, Luckily, he still gave a big and totally dumbassed public rant.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Oct-05-21 01:17 PM
https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1445254304005115904?s=20
https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1445255608983162887?s=20

What a colossal moron.

I do find it kind of interesting that Kyrie and Wiggins are getting the most publicity about this-- one of whom is stupidly unvaccinated but refusing to talk about it, the other who is reluctantly vaccinated but is ranting like a dopey child about it-- but Brad Beal is going completely under the radar, despite being an All-Star who's also publicly saying stupid shit about the vaccine.

I guess that's the power of being on the Wizards. No one gives a shit about anything you do or say.
2747599, LOL what does he think epi pens are made of?
Posted by Stadiq, Tue Oct-05-21 02:19 PM

Liquified kale and ginger??

And who does he think made them?

These dudes who won't take the vax cuz they are "all natural" amaze me.

The shit they will put into their bodies + the trust they put into the medical community on literally every other topic....how do they not see that they are fill of shit?

2747675, i DAMN NEAR CHOKED
Posted by poetx, Wed Oct-06-21 01:40 PM
from this apple and banana i'm eating (healthy snack today) reading that shit...

liquified kale and ginger.

*living*

i'm glad dude got the shot. but dayum.

it's a nice fall day. me and the fam about to go to the farm and pick some ephinephrine berries.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

2747619, Yeah, of course he goes and says more really dumb shit
Posted by mrhood75, Tue Oct-05-21 05:33 PM
==
>I do find it kind of interesting that Kyrie and Wiggins are
>getting the most publicity about this-- one of whom is
>stupidly unvaccinated but refusing to talk about it, the other
>who is reluctantly vaccinated but is ranting like a dopey
>child about it-- but Brad Beal is going completely under the
>radar, despite being an All-Star who's also publicly saying
>stupid shit about the vaccine.
>
>I guess that's the power of being on the Wizards. No one gives
>a shit about anything you do or say.

Part of it is what you said: Kyrie is in the biggest media market in the world and on the presumptive favorites for the NBA title. Wiggins is in one of the NBA's biggest markets and on one of the last decade's most successful teams. No one cares about the Wizards.

The other part is that Kyrie and Wiggins are on two of the three teams where not being vaccinated would effect their ability to play home games. If Kyrie were still in Cleveland and Wiggins was still on the Wolves, this wouldn't be as big of a deal, because neither of those cities have ordinances that prevent them from entering their home stadium.
2747613, *stands in this lane*
Posted by vik, Tue Oct-05-21 04:37 PM
2747676, empirical evidence shows that research >> fucking around >>>>>
Posted by poetx, Wed Oct-06-21 01:46 PM
finding out.

so he got to the right answer in the end.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

2747560, Looking the current Pels roster, does Zion really try and rush back?
Posted by Castro, Mon Oct-04-21 08:02 PM
2747565, He shouldn't, no.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Oct-04-21 10:22 PM
2747566, No sir
Posted by Beezo, Mon Oct-04-21 10:53 PM
2747637, Suns don’t want to offer Ayton the max…
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Oct-05-21 09:00 PM
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/10/05/report-suns-not-offering-deandre-ayton-max-contract-extension/
2747649, Their owner is gonna fuck this up, lol.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Oct-06-21 12:57 AM
2747652, I sorta get the hesitation but Aytons gonna get paid
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Oct-06-21 08:39 AM
Sarver can’t help himself tho can he
2747668, Phoenix needs to follow Denver.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Oct-06-21 12:37 PM
These are not organizations that are traditional contenders, and they aren't traditional free agent destinations. Even if you're well-run, well-coached, and well-regarded for your player development, annual contention just... isn't guaranteed. Look at Toronto now. Hell, look at San Antonio now.

So if you're Phoenix, if you give a shit at *all* about winning a title? You have to go all in. You have to pay the big money now and worry later.
2747669, 100% agree
Posted by Ryan M, Wed Oct-06-21 12:42 PM
Ayton has gotten better every year and can be a legit DPOY contender. He also seems to be a perfect fit with CP3/Book - not to mention that it's not exactly an overpay if literally any team who had him would max him. It's insane they think they should save money when they have a team that JUST went to the Finals.

Like, okay - do you think you should have drafted Luka? Not Ayton's fault. Pay the man.
2747761, Ayton is going to get the Max. It just might not be with the Suns.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Oct-07-21 11:42 PM
The reporting I heard mentioned that Ayton's camp feels he deserves the Max because other players of his class have gotten the Max - Luka, Trae, MPJ, and another player I can't recall.

For as much as Ayton progressed in a short amount of time, comparing himself to Trae or Luka is a bit of hubris.

But the way the league is going, players of Ayton's abilities and production are gonna get the Max. If he hits the restricted free agency, he's gonna get the Max.

Yes, he's not Luka or Trae (yet). But he's shown he's able to contribute to winning in a way that MPJ hasn't. And he just got Maxed out.

And Longo's right that overpaying for top talent is just the tax of being a small-market team.
2747756, Dubs looking like they might be a problem. only preseason, and only
Posted by poetx, Thu Oct-07-21 09:42 PM
2 games, but if them cats stay shooting like THAT?

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

2747801, they got some active rim runners now.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Oct-08-21 03:42 PM
its gonna be fun seeing steph drive and feed kuminga, wise, etc like trae does with collins, capela, etc...especially if steph can disguise the floater/alley like trae does.

and jordan poole be looking flat out unstoppable at times. he had his moments last season too...but if he can consistently give them offense off that bench like that...then this team is gonna be hard to handle.