Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRight. Healthy Kyrie, Harden, AD, and Brown change the convo. But...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741587&mesg_id=2742095
2742095, Right. Healthy Kyrie, Harden, AD, and Brown change the convo. But...
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-01-21 12:54 PM
... I do think it's worth noting that the teams that are built around roles rather than built just stacking talent NBA 2K style are the ones really shining here. Teams like Phoenix, Atlanta, and Milwaukee are built to have balanced and well-defined roles, and they run actual plays designed in schemes that are built to fit that roster.

Meanwhile, teams like Philly, Portland, Dallas, and I'd argue the Clippers just don't run too much offense beyond "give the ball to a star"-- which works if you have the depth of talent that a healthy Brooklyn or a healthy Lakers have, but doesn't really unless your stars are 2 or 3 of the 10-12 best players on Planet Earth. And many of the players around those stars, a few exceptions notwithstanding, just kind of get lost in the mix.

This does lead me to wonder whether, long term, we see more Toronto-esque break-throughs beyond the usual suspects, simply because, in general, more front offices are getting smarter and players, in general, are getting increasingly skilled-- especially at shooting, the great equalizer.

But yeah, a fully healthy Nets and Lakers would've been the Finals favorites regardless, so we also can't pretend like having 2 or 3 of the 10-12 best players on Planet Earth isn't the primary way to bring home the trophy, lol. It still is and still will be.

(Side note: I don't think it's a coincidence that Paul George generally played better in the playoffs without Kawhi. Once he can tell "my role is The Guy," he knew how to stay active, what to do, etc. He looks more passive, less confident when sharing the floor with Kawhi in the playoffs. I think back to Indiana PG, and I kind of wonder if PG, kind of like Jimmy Butler in a way, only reaches peak effectiveness if he's The Guy.)