Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSome late first round and later guys that I'm high on:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2743844
2743844, Some late first round and later guys that I'm high on:
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jul-26-21 11:13 AM
Herb Jones: Elite wing size and quickness. Great defender, switchable through 4 positions-- maybe even 5 if he can bulk up. Strong passer from the wing position. High character kid. I'm concerned about the jumpshot, because if he can't shoot, it's tough for guys like him to earn real minutes... but the shot looked somewhat better this year, and I'd be willing to bet on a hard worker like Jones to figure it out, especially when every other part of his game is translatable. End of first round guy for me.

Bones Hyland: Outside of Cooper, the best handles in the draft. A terrific pull-up jump shooter, a terrific finisher at the rim. If you want a Jordan Clarkson type guy to come off the bench and just burn teams, Hyland's the guy. Not a great defender right now, still has to build strength, and isn't a great passer at the moment (like I said, Jordan Clarkson type), but again, easy end of first round guy for me.

Joe Weiskamp: You need a floor-spacing big wing? Here you go. Very Duncan Robinson-esque. Terrific wing size (6'7, 6'11 wingspan). Shooting numbers are nuts: 46% from 3 this season, 41% from 3 for his career, both on very high volume. 50% from 3 on catch-and-shoot, again, on very high volume. Almost 57% from 3 on NBA range attempts. 73% effective field goal percentage last season, third best in the country, and the only high-major player in the top 10. Dude is a bonkers shooter and moves beautifully off the ball. Like Robinson, he can't defend or put it on the floor-- he's a pure floor spacer. But there's real value having him on the roster in today's NBA. End of first, start of second for me. Any lower than 35, he's a steal.

Josh Primo: Look, he's really raw, because he's probably the youngest player that'll get drafted (literally just turned 18 and a half), but if he'd gone back to Alabama, I think he would've been a Top 15ish projected pick in 2022. Great shooting guard size, really good shooter, good at moving his feet, should be a good on-ball defender once he gains muscle. Not a guy I expect to see play much next season, because he's still so raw... but considering Houston has two picks at 23 and 24, and then after that you have a bunch of contenders, many of whom are looking for guys to stash and develop instead of play right away? I wouldn't be surprised if he still goes first round. And while I'm skeptical on a number of raw talents in this draft, Primo having good size, good shooting, and good defensive potential makes him feel like he has a higher floor out of the high-ceiling guys later in the draft.

Quentin Grimes: Easy pitch here-- he's a really good catch-and-shoot 3-point shooting guard, and he's a net positive defender. He also deserves all sorts of respect for being an elite OAD type prospect who absolutely sucked as a freshman... but instead of just bailing on college and heading overseas, or continuing to languish at the NCAA level, worked his ass off to become an elite player at the college level. Love his value in the second round as a role player off the bench with some starter upside if the 3s consistently fall.

Austin Reaves: Here's a tough, mean mugging, white boy guard with swagger for people to love/hate. Potentially the next Alex Caruso or Grayson Allen. Terrific shooter-- his numbers at Oklahoma may not indicate that, but that's because he was asked to do so much in that offense, contested, off the bounce, through double teams, etc. At Wichita State, he proved he's an elite shooter off the catch, and he's a skilled enough ball handler to give enough some pull-up opportunities at the NBA level as well when needed. Also a really good passer for his size and could handle the point in spots off the bench if needed. Not the best defender but also won't quit and won't blow rotations. Love him as a bench guy start of the second, and on a bad team, wouldn't surprise me if he ended up starting and doing real numbers pretty quickly.

Neemias Queta: I'm usually lower on big men than most, just because I don't think they have the same value as wings or primary ball handlers, but I've liked Queta since his freshman year. Great NBA size-- 7 feet, 7'4, wingspan, 250 lbs-- and pretty good athleticism for his size. He's not Evan Mobley, but he's not Jakob Poeltl either. Elite rim protecting big, elite defensive rebounder, elite shot blocker-- could potentially be the best at all three of these things in the draft class. Strong post-up offensive player. Also a good passer for a big. Six or seven years ago, he's pretty inarguably a lottery pick. The problem, of course, is his lateral movement-- no real switchability on the outside, so it'll be hard to play him in end-of-game situations. He's also not really a pick-and-pop guy right now, though I'd argue he's got a little upside to be at least competent in that regard-- he's a 70% FT shooter, so maybe he could make just enough 3s to keep teams honest with some work. I don't think you can take him in the first round, but if you're a team with a drop coverage scheme, I'd take him pretty early in the second to be my backup center with a little bit of starter upside in the right scenario.

Jericho Sims: this might be my hottest take, as I saw him 50s to undrafted in most mocks before the combine... but I'd consider taking him maybe all the way at the end of the first. Why? Because his role in the NBA is so obvious. He's a rim runner and rim protector. Only 6'9, but 7'3 wingspan, great vertical leap, and great timing on blocks. Good movement on the perimeter for a guy his size too-- he's probably more equipped to switching on defense than all but two or three bigs in the draft. On offense, he knows his role-- he sets picks, he flashes to the rim, he leaps, he catches lobs, he grabs boards, he puts back dunks on fools. He's not a shooter and probably won't ever be. He's not even a good FT shooter (that's my biggest concern). But his role is tailor made. There are higher upside bigs in the draft who will go above him... but if I'm a contender drafting in the 20s that needs big man bench support right today (Brooklyn, for instance)? I'd definitely consider reaching for him.