Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectGreat shooter, bad defender. I'd take a flier on him.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2743674
2743674, Great shooter, bad defender. I'd take a flier on him.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-22-21 01:21 PM
The downsides are pretty clear-- even though he's got good size, he's still pretty skinny. Put on something like 15-20 lbs this offseason when he came back, but he's still got another 20 to go. He got bullied on defense in the SEC, so at the NBA level, forget about it. Also jumps for steals too much, gets out of position... which, again, may be indicative of his knowledge that he's currently unable to defend. He's decently quick, but not really NBA quick. He's definitely got to become at least a mediocre defender to reach his potential in the NBA.

He's also mostly a perimeter player-- he's great out there, but in traffic, he tends to make mistakes. Again, this might be exacerbated by a relative lack of strength, because he's overall a pretty damn good ball handler for this draft. Or maybe he's just still young and trying to do too much.

That said, I would definitely express interest earlier than most because he's one of the best shooters in the draft, both as a catch-and-shoot guy and off the bounce. Can pull up from deep 3, mid-range, you name it, he can drain it. And like I said, he's on the whole a quite good ball handler. More of a secondary playmaker than a primary guy, but a decent enough passer.

But in a league that's more and more driven by the ability to make jumpers, you've got a guy with good positional size who can make jumpers from mid-range and 3, from pull-up and from the catch? He might not have the highest ceiling, but if he gains some strength and becomes a non-liability on defense, he could definitely start. And I think he could potentially give off the bench minutes to a contender sooner rather than later.