Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOff-the-bench, high-motor big.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2743665
2743665, Off-the-bench, high-motor big.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Jul-22-21 09:58 AM
I don't think Sharpe will ever be a true starter type, because he just absolutely can't shoot at all, and he was really turnover prone with the ball in his hands even on simple 1-to-2 dribble post moves. He's also only average size and athleticism for an NBA big-- if you're 6'11 with a 7' wingspan, you better be able to soar off the bounce to protect the rim, and Sharpe, while not ground-bound, just isn't that guy.

That said, he's a smart player, good footwork on both ends, and he works really hard. Probably not a switchable defending big, but if he was in that system, I think he'd do better than most. He gets a lot of mileage out of just outworking dudes, crashing the boards harder than dudes, not shying away from physical play. There's a place for a guy like that on the bench in theory. Bring him in for 12-15 minutes a game, have him run around, annoy dudes, grab boards, play D, sprint. I'm sure Phoenix would've preferred a guy like Sharpe to a guy like Kaminsky backing up Ayton in the Finals.