Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRim-running, shot-blocking big. Capela-esque.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2743601
2743601, Rim-running, shot-blocking big. Capela-esque.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Jul-21-21 11:09 AM
A Top 3 defensive big man in this draft. Huge body, phenomenal athlete, really fast for his size. Elite weak side shot blocker. Ideal drop coverage big, but if a team wants to use him in switches, you could do a lot worse considering his speed, length, and quick twitch. Very high motor.

I'm not especially high on his offensive upside-- I don't think he's a stretch big, and he's not really a shot creator now, although I suppose it's not impossible he gets there. But he's got such an obvious role as an NBA big-- setting screens, catching lobs, crashing offensive boards, dunking putbacks-- that I'm not convinced he needs to be a shooter. Guys like Clint Capela, Mitchell Robinson, etc., have obvious value. So does Jackson.

Now, does that value translate to lottery? I'm not sure. Big men just aren't what teams build around these days. I reckon many teams would rather take the upside wing or guard than the next Clint Capela, for better or worse. But the further he slips, the more I'd like him. He's got the tools to stick around and become an NBA starter.