Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDefensive-minded bulldog guard. Could start.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2741925
2741925, Defensive-minded bulldog guard. Could start.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-29-21 06:13 PM
While he may be a bit small for the point position, I think Davion Mitchell is a smart, high-motor, quick athlete who likes to make his name on the defensive end. In an increasingly point guard driven league, I think having a guy who's a skilled table setter, a strong defender, and a terrific finisher with blow-by speed... is of notable value.

I *do* have some questions about the jump shooting, though. He's a career 65% FT shooter (64% this year, only 53% in Tier A and B games), and he shot 30% from 3 in his two seasons before this one. Mitchell got a lot of very open looks playing in an offense with Butler and Teague, and I kind of wonder just how fluky his 45% 3 point average this year is. There's no question it's fluky... but is it "he's improved but is more like a 38% 3 point shooter right now" fluky, or is it "he's more like a 33-35% 3 point shooter right now" fluky?

Look, either way, he's likely a good enough shooter to keep defenses at least marginally honest-- and if that's not true at first, he's a really hard worker and high character kid, and I don't doubt he can be at least an NBA average 3 point threat. Combine that with the defense and the passing, and I think he'd be a really nice fit off the bench on a team looking to win now, with some eventual starter upside. Maybe if he can make the 40+% 3PT shot a long term reality, he can become a real star type of guy... but I suspect that's a bigger ask than last year's numbers signify.

That said, as I say every year, PG is the hardest position for me to predict, especially guys who don't have strong NBA size. Donovan Mitchell couldn't shoot in college and he became a star, because he found the right system. Davion's such a dog, who knows, maybe he could find some of Donovan's magic. I'd probably take him in that 11-15 range.