Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI don't think Bassey's an NBA player, tbh.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2741918
2741918, I don't think Bassey's an NBA player, tbh.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Jun-29-21 04:47 PM
Yes, he's got good size, so maybe a team can see some potential in him and take him in the back half of the second round. But:

- Not a very good shooter. Not awful, but not a real threat away from the rim.
- Not many post moves at all, mostly plays bully ball at present.
- Can't handle the ball at all.
- Can't pass at all.
- Can't defend away from the rim.
- Terrible pick-and-roll defender.
- Decent shot blocker, but his block goes notably down against better competition.

Mostly, he's a big man with good athleticism (albeit limited lateral quickness), a great rebounder, and a guy with potential as a shot blocker. I'm basically describing a worse version of Andre Drummond with shorter arms-- and Drummond is barely playable in the NBA today with the way the game is currently played.

I won't be surprised if a team reaches for him in hopes of (a) thinking his HS pedigree still carries enough weight, and (b) thinking they can develop him into a 10-12 MPG rim protector off the bench. But he'll provide nothing on offense other than the odd putback and nothing on defense beyond 3 feet from the rim. I just don't see players like that having value in today's NBA.

There will be a dozen free agents who can help fill that role for the Lakers better than Bassey. Bassey should only be drafted by teams who'll send him to the G-League for 2-3 years in hopes that can he can become a passable jump shooter or an elite rim protector.