Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI saw a "smaller Jaylen Brown" comparison that I liked.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2741774
2741774, I saw a "smaller Jaylen Brown" comparison that I liked.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-28-21 05:08 PM
Keon is maybe the best athlete in the draft, straight up-- elite leaping ability (smashed the combine record for vertical leap), elite burst, great length, great speed. But, much like Jaylen Brown coming out of college, his jumpshot is non-existent at present, and his handles aren't up to snuff for NBA standards. While he's one of the better on-ball defenders in the draft, he still has some discipline issues off-ball, and same goes for the offense when the ball's not in his hands.

I said this about Jaylen in the 2016 Justivity post about some of my concerns: "It won't matter if he can make a 3-pointer at a 35%+ clip and get even harder to stop going to the rack. If he fixes those, I'd totally believe that he could be a starter for a long time, and maybe even have All-Star potential... but that's a ways away from where he is now." I feel the same about Keon. Now, it worked out beautifully for Jaylen (shooting 38% from 3 for his career!), but it could've easily not gone that way.

If you told me Keon develops a 38% 3-point shot in the NBA, I'd tell you his All-Star potential going forward is real. If it's 35%? Maybe more like Miles Bridges. 33% or lower? I struggle to see a world in which he starts. All depends on if you think he can shoot. I'll probably have him lower on my big board than most. (But worth pointing out I had Jaylen Brown lower than most too!)