Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI think the "better Jeremy Lamb" comparison is fair.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2741682
2741682, I think the "better Jeremy Lamb" comparison is fair.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Jun-28-21 11:22 AM
He's got to knock down 3s at a higher clip at the next level to keep teams honest. He's so brilliant at getting to and finishing at the rim, and he's got a knack for knocking down some big off-the-dribble shots in the midrange too... but teams will just go under screens and sag off him for the first few seasons at the next level until he proves he can make 3s consistently.

Other concerns: he's not good at creating for others right now, so he can't really serve as a secondary ball handler, which more and more teams want from their 2 guard. He averages 3.1 assists per 100 possessions for his career at UConn, which... yes, they didn't have a ton of guys around him, but that sucks. (Compare that to Anthony Edwards, who also isn't a very good/willing passer, and who had *way less* talent around him at Georgia... who put up 3.4 assists per 100 possessions.) I also don't think Bouknight was as good an off-ball defender as he was on-ball, but that can be fixed with experience and the right system.

But yeah, if he wants to be more than a bench scorer, he's gotta have two of the three of (a) good 3 point shooting, (b) good passing, (c) good overall defense. I'm not convinced the passing gets there, so the swing skill really will be that perimeter shot. If he can shoot at, say, a 36%+ clip consistently, I think he could be an NBA starter. Otherwise, yeah, Jeremy Lamb journeyman status-- not a knock, that's still a decade long NBA career, but considering he'll probably be drafted Top 10, I'm sure people want more from him.