Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectPotentially the next Draymond Green. I'm a big fan.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2741583
2741583, Potentially the next Draymond Green. I'm a big fan.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Jun-27-21 11:13 AM
He genuinely played PG at FSU at 6'9 and 225 lbs. Try to throw a guy his size on him? Barnes has the speed, handles, and quick lateral mobility to get around you. Try to throw a guard on him? Barnes will just flat out bully him. He's definitely a matchup nightmare. And his passing is exceptional, not just for his size but for this draft class in general. He's one of those guys with elite feel for the game, where you sense he's always in control.

He's also easily one of the highest IQ defenders in the draft. Not just a terrific on-ball defender, but great off-ball, high motor at all times, and absolutely disruptive with his long arms and timing. He's also probably the only player in the draft who can genuinely guard 1 through 5. There just aren't many NBA players with his combination of length, strength, speed, motor, and IQ on both ends.

The problem is, of course, that he can't shoot. I know ThaTruth called him "broke Ben Simmons" in the other post, and while I think that might be a reasonable jab at what his floor could be, Barnes always plays with high motor, something that can't be said about Simmons (certainly not Simmons coming out of college, anyway). And much like Simmons, if you think Barnes can develop even an NBA average jump shot and free throw stroke, then he's probably an All-Star, the sort of player that be can your franchise guy.

Even if he can't ever shoot, I still think he can be a Draymond Green type, where he's limited away from the rim, but he's just so high IQ and high energy and versatile that he helps you find ways to secure the big wins, a great culture guy and a great tone setter. There's no chance he slides to Golden State at 7, but man, I'd love to see it happen. If I'm a team looking to try to win sooner rather than later, I'd easily take Barnes over Kuminga.