Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectA terrific scoring prospect, a freak athlete. Big upside.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2741578
2741578, A terrific scoring prospect, a freak athlete. Big upside.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Jun-27-21 10:31 AM
Was trying to think of a good player comparison, and I think Zach LaVine is where I've settled. Monster athlete, one of the best in the draft, insanely quick twitch. Can score from any level, can pull up, can close strong, can stroke off the catch. Decent passer and playmaker. Defense is probably more potential right now than reality, but he showed in flashes the ability to lock down 1 through 3 at a pro level with his speed and athleticism.

And when you remember LaVine at 18 wasn't the scorer or the defender in the Pac-12 that Green at 18 was in the G-League... it's hard not to get excited. He would've easily been a Top 2 pick last draft, maybe #1 overall. Scoring 18 PPG in the G-League at such a young age is just really, really hard to ignore.

I'd like to see his shooting get a little less streaky, I'd like the decision making to improve, and I'd like the defense to be consistent... but these are definitely all things one can chalk up to youth and a huge leap in opposition talent. I think worst case scenario, he ends up the type of guy who's a 15+ PPG scorer but not much else. Best case scenario, there's obvious All-Star talent here.