Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectReally well-rounded PG with All-Star potential.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2741470&mesg_id=2741527
2741527, Really well-rounded PG with All-Star potential.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jun-26-21 09:37 PM
Great athlete, great skill, but above all else is his feel. He rarely ever looked sped up at the college level like so many of even the best freshmen do. He's just exceptionally patient. The counterargument here could be "well, he was surrounded by more talent than any other freshman in the NCAA, so he could afford to be patient," and, okay, fair argument. But I suspect more likely than not it translates, largely because his feel is just so advanced for his age. Very few OAD PGs have that natural feel-- he might be top 5-8 of the decade in that regard.

He's also a strong on-ball defender, a high motor energy player on that end... which, again, for PGs with his offensive talents, you just so rarely see that combination. On top of all of that, he's clearly the guy who wants the ball in the big moment, a true alpha dog on the perimeter. The one concern I've heard is his perimeter jump shot... but I'm less concerned than those who've griped about this. He shot 34% from 3 on the season, which isn't great... but he shot 38% from 3 on 4 attempts per game against Tier A and B opponents, and in the Tier A games, the biggestt games? He shot 43% from 3 on over 4 attempts a game. And that was in 13 games, which compared to other players in the draft is a good sample size. (Cade, by comparison, played 15 Tier A games. And, to Cade's credit, shot just shy of 40% on over *7* attempts per game in those.)

He's one of four players I'd have taken above LaMelo and Edwards in last year's draft. He just feels like the type of player who's very high floor but still has star potential. And if he ends up in Toronto, as many people are projecting, he'd be genuinely the *perfect* backcourt pairing with VanVleet.