Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectIt's Gidey (women's 10,000m)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2739636&mesg_id=2739677
2739677, It's Gidey (women's 10,000m)
Posted by Walleye, Wed Jun-09-21 09:54 AM
Pretty clear WR attempt, with the wavelight set to just a bit slower than Hassan's pace in order to set up a fast second half.l Pacemaker took them through about two miles (9:30ish) and Gidey has taken over. She's just as smooth as Tsegey, but without the almost supernatural lightness to her gait. Plus the top-bun is really distinctive, which will help in bigger fields.

Came through 5,000m in a bonkers 14:43, dropping her only competition, a longer (marathon and half) runner whose name I forgot. Announcer is musing on the utility of the wavelight pacer, which is really nice to hear. She seems to vary her pace at will, moving from the front to the back of the WR blue pacelights based on what appears to be her preference and not fatigue or conditions. She's pushed ahead of them a couple times too. I don't know. It's sort of annoying how much the shoes and the wavelight have become a big narrative in the 2021 season. It's not like there's nothing I would view as too much assistance, but spikes with a carbon plate and an automated pacer just don't make the cut as "too much" assistance for me. Hell, I watched a video of Sydney Maree's 1500m AR and the rabbit stayed on for 1200m. That's a TON of pacing help, and you can't draft off a wavelight. Didn't make Maree's run less impressive.

Looks like Niyonsaba tried hitching a ride on Gidey's pace after getting lapped and then got dropped again within a lap. I hope this move up gets you into Tokyo, Francine Niyonsaba, but that's a tough move to make work.

Jos Hermens there screaming at lapped runners to go wide so she can stay in lane one. Everybody appreciates an active agent. 27:58 at the bell.

29:02. That was really fun to watch. Closed in 14:18 or so, which is absolutely bananas. Great week in Hengelo, two 10,000m world records in forty eight hours. Goodness, this was fun to watch.