Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe Clifford one is insane. What are they thinking?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2739300&mesg_id=2739301
2739301, The Clifford one is insane. What are they thinking?
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Jun-05-21 12:28 PM
They make two playoffs with a *lot* of young players. Then Isaac gets hurt and the front office trades Vuc, Gordon, and Fournier... like, what did they expect this season?

He's a really good player development guy too, and they just started what's essentially a reboot with nothing but young players... unless they have a *better* player development guy for the young guards and bigs, I don't know what they expect.

It's easy to just look at Clifford's W-L record and go "oh he sucks," but I would argue that he absolutely overachieved with the rosters he was given. Like, those Charlotte teams, the three best players during that tenure were Kemba, 30 year old Al Jefferson, and Batum. And the fourth best would be... Marvin Williams? One year, their third leading scorer was *Frank Kaminsky.* And he got Charlotte to the playoffs twice! And he got a team led by Nikola Vucevic and Aaron Gordon to the playoffs twice in three years! Bananas.

Clifford will be on another staff-- or have another head coaching job-- by the fall. I really hope the Magic have a plan.