Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectYeah, Kipyegon looked incredible (edit: wrong Hailu)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2739224&mesg_id=2742802
2742802, Yeah, Kipyegon looked incredible (edit: wrong Hailu)
Posted by Walleye, Sun Jul-11-21 12:03 PM
There's been a couple of races in the last year where Hassan's kick looked mortal. Hailu* got worked by the front two in this race, but she visibly shook Hassan in an indoor 3000m back in the winter. And now Kipyegon with this one, though I think that the quality of both those performances says (as you point out with that depth, though I'd add Hailu) more about the winner than it does about Hassan. Kipyegon was just that good.

Muir's 1:56.xx fitness made me wish she had been in that 1500m though. No knock on her for running a great race and working on some faster stuff as she fine-tunes for Tokyo, but Muir, Kipyegon, Hassan, and Hailu hitting the bell lap on that would would have been an absolute all-timer.

*that was Frewenyi Hailu and not Lemlem Hailu. Explains why I was so disappointed when she didn't find another gear with 300m to go. Either way, I'd also include Tsegay in that 1500m group. She's run 3:54 a few weeks ago.