Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSome interesting trials declarations too (Fred Kerley)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2739224&mesg_id=2740225
2740225, Some interesting trials declarations too (Fred Kerley)
Posted by Walleye, Tue Jun-15-21 11:34 AM
Fred Kerley's busted some pretty strong 100m races this spring, and actually claimed a couple impressive heads in the process. But I just kind of assumed he was working on his top-end speed in a VanNiekerk-ian attempt to jump the field in the 400m.

Anyhow, he's not running the 400m at the trials, declaring instead for the 100 and the 200m. Feels like a bit of a headscratcher to me. He could definitely make either/both of those teams, but it seems less likely than the 400m. He actually hasn't run very many strong 200's yet, and that 100m field is full of veterans that I trust a bit more to work through the rounds and pop something under 9.90 in the finals. Doesn't mean he can't, just that I expect three of that Gatlin, Bromell, Baker, Bracy, Lyles definitely will.

Whatever. I like watching him race, so I hope he's right about this.

Lot of scratches yesterday too, in addition to Houlihan. Evan Jager is out of the steeple. People saw that coming because he's been hurt a lot, but it was nice to dream on a medal in this event even if it meant pretending he was still at his peak. Rowbury and Huddle out, injury and, uh, oldness.

Athing Mu's been saying all year she's an 800m runner, and she wasn't joking. Though she was pushing hard for a relay spot in that NCAA post-meet conference.