Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLakers should've dealt for Lowry
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2739188&mesg_id=2739241
2739241, Lakers should've dealt for Lowry
Posted by Vex_id, Fri Jun-04-21 03:47 PM
This was a microcosm of the AD trade (that worked out exceptionally well) where they would've had to ship some developing prospects - but the reward is a proven veteran/winner. When AD went down - if they had Lowry - I think they could've weathered the storm and even still overcome the Suns.

THT is a nice player - and Caruso/Dennis have their value - but I think you give what you have to give to get a guy like Lowry *if* the mentality is to win now.

I think it's actually a good thing that their season ended earlier (Rather than conf. finals for example) - because this team to me just never had the chance to gel and build chemistry together as a healthy unit - and I don't think they could've marched to the Finals this year given their lack of health from both AD and LeBron. A long off-season can do wonders for both Bron and AD after such a historically short off-season after winning that 'chip.

Speaking of 'chip #17, I think that also made too many of the players complacent going into the season - buzzing off being champions - and probably not preparing for a crazy short turn-around to make another title run. They weren't hungry this year - but because of how it ended - I think they'll be hungry again going into next season - and more importantly: healthy. But at the end of the day - Lakers faithful gotta be happy with getting another championship over the course of the last chaotic year. Bron & delivered.

In retrospect, was Rob trying to be too cute w/ all the roster re-tooling after winning a 'chip? I get that you don't want to stand still and constantly want to improve - but at the beginning of the year the consensus was that the changes were for the better - but were they? Seems that having Danny Green & Dwight against the Suns would've made a difference - especially on the defensive end. Dwight would've been able to blunt Ayton a bit more, and Green's three & D was badly needed when Lakers couldn't buy a jumpshot and were getting torched by Phoenix guards.

I don't get Vogel's rotations and lack of adjustment. Thought he did a good job in the title run - but this year he was grossly outcoached by Monty. I don't get benching Montrezl - especially when you needed offensive punch. Kuzma was really disappointing. Dennis said he wants to return to LA - but I think Lakers may look for a sign and trade opportunity packaging developing talent for win-now ready guys.

Bron may finally be succumbing to Father Time - and it's crazy that he was once again in a situation where had to carry triple his load just to keep the Lakers afloat in year 18. Year 19 Bron cannot be taking the brunt of the mileage. This year was the perfect natural transition for AD to take the responsibility of being the A guy - but he couldn't stay healthy. Lakers need to manage Bron's aging much better than they did this year, because he can still be elite in high leverage moments, but he can't be carrying the load like this anymore -- it's an impossible ask.

-->