Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCavs check-in. 2 straight disappointing Ls
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2735778&mesg_id=2735785
2735785, Cavs check-in. 2 straight disappointing Ls
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-19-21 08:04 AM
The 19-win curse is broken at least.

Garland is really moving toward stardom. Of all Cavs guards, he is the only one with the ability to read the defense at a high level, he's great in PnR and he's becoming much more confident in his shot, pulling up from 3 at will (but not always making). I wholly believe he was drafted because he was the best player available, but I don't even remember who was drafted #4 at this point. (This was the Zion, Ja, RJ draft -- one I definitely believe was rigged to facilitate AD to the Lakers, not that I'm completely mad at that).

(side note: how about those KNICKS?)

Isaac Okoro is a person who doesn't always show up on the stat sheet and you have to keep an eye on. Should the Cavs have drafted Halliburton? (A lot of teams should have.) He's undersized for a SF but I love that he will just go on the other team's best player and mess them up the way he does. Offensively, not superlative. I do love some of his moves to the hoop (he loves Eurosteppin'), his movement off ball and particularly, his lack of hesitation from 3 when he gets the ball in the corner. Ideally, a 3 and D guy, emphasis on the latter, where he is really showing up.

Vs. Warriors: started out promising; ultimately, everyone but Steph killed the Cavs at home (yeah he had 33, but he was bricking like shit from 3 (thanks to Okoro's defense, taking away his shots) and scored most of his points on uncontested shots and/or in garbage time). Freakin' Toscano and Wiggins. Love was not good from a scoring perspective. Weird ass lineups took Sexton out of the game when they were falling behind. Yet, he still ends up with an efficient 30.

Vs. Bulls: this was worse because 1) no Zach LaVine and 2) bullshit lineups leading to deficits because either defense or spacing was fucked. I see the Bulls' vision with Vucevic in the front court. The team plays a lot different with him in there. Coby trying hard to get out of that bench position. Scoring ain't quite there but I think he's a good passer, fwiw.

finally going to play Washington soon and that's probably going to be some Ls. Russ and 'em are definitely making sure they get in the playoffs, and our team's inconsistent shooting will mean that we'll likely finish just outside the play-in (my estimate)

Ultimately, the losses suck but there are some positive things in play. I really hope the Cavs could draft Cade (ideal), Mobley, or Kuminga. Green would be cool, to fill in the void left by "KPJ". I expect a fuil draft fucking to keep the Cavs out of the top 5 though. If that happens then I hope the 1st round pick is high enough to pick Scottie Barnes. Another "Okoro" only from the PF position (as far as scoring) but I see him as a Bam-like talent which might offset. With Kevin Love being good for spacing but not much else atm, and Nance being in and out of the injury list... a frontcourt guy that can make things easier for the team wouldn't be so bad.

Really want Cade though, because one thing I've seen in recent line ups is JBB messing around with the guards. While I'm glad he's back, Delly is a non-factor on scoring -- complete regression, which means if he's paired with Sexton what usually happens is Sexton draws offensive attention and can't really go nowhere with the ball. For versatility in lineups (esp. going up against teams like the Knicks), being able to swap either one of Sexland with Cade would open doors.

Absolutely not interested in Sengun in the first round, his offensive moves look cool in Euroleague but I think with the unexpected acquisition of Jarrett Allen (who btw, I'm glad is back) and Hartenstein (who fouls too much but passes quite well for someone not named Jokic) Cavs are pretty set at center, and he'd just be a rotation guy for a season or 2. Plus I don't know how he would defend at an NBA level. If we gonna go all in on a big who scores more than anyone else give me Kai Jones.

Wolves and Rockets deserve a rebuilding piece ... but knowing the NBA they're gonna make /some/ team richer.