Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectyeah, it's notorious for being one of the worst writing jobs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2735071&mesg_id=2741771
2741771, yeah, it's notorious for being one of the worst writing jobs
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Jun-28-21 04:51 PM
It's Vince's prerogative to listen to ideas and then go with his own, but what's the point of having all those talented writers on staff if you're just gonna do your own thing or change all their shit last minute? Writers who LOVE wrestling go there, get chewed up/spit out within a year, and some of them kinda fall out of love with wrestling because of it.

I was chatting it up with a writer who had been there and gotten fired within a year. When I asked about their experience the first words out of their mouth were something to the effect of "It's everything you've ever heard about it. I had to take the job cause I'm a fan, but it was awful."

I do think it's a decent strategy to have some people on staff who did not grow up fans so you can get some fresh perspectives. It happens in entertainment all the time. For instance, the MCU movies would not be as good as they are if everyone in the creative process was a huge comic book nerd. In WWE's case, if everyone there grew up a fan you run the risk of everyone trying to recreate angles they used to love, and that gets stale pretty quick. But if you don't even listen to those fresh perspectives OR the diehard fans, what's the point?