Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSo I’m friends with the writer who was fired this week
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2735071&mesg_id=2741501
2741501, So I’m friends with the writer who was fired this week
Posted by pretentious username, Sat Jun-26-21 12:06 PM
What a stupid “controversy.” It’s been public knowledge that Vince likes to hire non-wrestling fan writers to bring in an outside perspective. She jokes about it a little bit on a podcast, it gets blown out of proportion, and a pile of morons harass her all over social media cause she doesn’t know as much about the thing they love as they do. She was somehow blamed for “ruining Raw” a show she worked on for just a couple weeks and hasn’t been good in years. Now she’s out of a job for some pretty tame comments. Plus, no one stopped to consider how bad it looked for a bunch of mostly white guys to be yelling at a Black woman for simply getting a name wrong (and then correcting it!). She was clearly in the middle of doing research about her new job, cut her some slack.

Even if you think it’s a bad hiring strategy to hire outsiders, that ain’t her fault and she deserves a chance to prove everyone wrong. But hey, just like all the other writers who were fired too early, she’ll land on her feet. She’s very talented and funny and I’m sure she’ll have some (better) job offers lined up before too long. I’m just really disappointed in wrestling fans this week. I hope I don’t have to say this to anyone here, but before you join social media pile-ons, please stop to consider what you’re doing for a few seconds.