Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject2021 NFL draft prospects...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2735058
2735058, 2021 NFL draft prospects...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-07-21 08:39 AM
It’s funny to hear these NFL experts try to talk around why Justin Fields is the second best QB but will be the the 5th QB selected.
2735060, Dan should be shot for the Bullshit he said.
Posted by allStah, Wed Apr-07-21 08:48 AM
He stated that he heard Fields wasn’t a hard worker, or that he didn’t
take his assignments seriously. He was put up to do that by either the network or
or football scouts.

Ryan Day checked his ass, and had Dan scrambling because he knew he was
wrong.

2735062, RE: 2021 NFL draft prospects...
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-07-21 09:26 AM
Everything I have read says he will be second or third

Really curious where you saw 5th? Does not seem remotely plausible but at this point of the offseason/draft hype some people are just saying whatever will get clicks.
2735063, i think Mac10 goes above him
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-07-21 09:37 AM
he shouldnt (and Wilson shouldnt either) but he will.
2735066, i think Mac10 is better than Zach Wilson
Posted by HecticHavoc, Wed Apr-07-21 09:51 AM
I think Fields is better than both. ill admit i didnt watch the Mormons play but no fucking way that kid is better than Fields and Mac10. they must think that it doesnt matter he lost to dogshit teams bc Josh Allen did too, but this kid is not Josh Allen.
2735068, RE: i think Mac10 goes above him
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-07-21 10:07 AM
I think that there is almost no chance that this happens

I also don't think much of any of these QB's besides Lawrence.

Wilson has a crazy arm and ability to make off-platform throws but had one good season where he didn't play anyone

Mac Jones is a future backup/marginal starter. Arm strength, mobility, accuracy are all average.

Fields does a lot of shit that won't work when pockets get messy in the NFL. That said, his ceiling is so much higher than Jones and teams draft QBs on potential in today's NFL
2735065, typical NFL bullshit
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Apr-07-21 09:44 AM
Every time there is a Black QB who should go 1 or 2 the powers that be push all these half ass white QB’s up with wonderlic scores and runors of how hard they work in practice.

2735070, RE: typical NFL bullshit
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-07-21 10:24 AM
Out of curiosity, in your opinion, when is the last time this happened?
2735067, The talking heads like to put players into buckets without having
Posted by soulfunk, Wed Apr-07-21 10:00 AM
to think at all. So they look at Justin Fields and make predictions based on other Black QBs who went to OSU...Troy Smith, Terelle Proyr, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins - even though they are all very different QBs.
2735073, right. I think it's more media-related than anything
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-07-21 10:48 AM
they get the "anonymous scout" quotes, but those are meaningless since every scout is telling lies this time of year

NFL media don't have time to follow college football (or they don't care), so they just stereotype for clicks and views
2735078, I wish Pryor had switched to WR earlier in his career.."what if"
Posted by guru0509, Wed Apr-07-21 11:47 AM
he was so hard-headed...and the one year he had a breakout season at WR in Cleveland he turned down 30 mill +guaranteed contract for an incentive laden contract w the WFT ...and it all went downhill.

>to think at all. So they look at Justin Fields and make
>predictions based on other Black QBs who went to OSU...Troy
>Smith, Terelle Proyr, Braxton Miller, Cardale Jones, Dwayne
>Haskins - even though they are all very different QBs.
2735091, it's dumb and among the reasons why i lose interest in the nfl
Posted by 3xKrazy, Wed Apr-07-21 02:40 PM
more and more each year.

and why i never turn on espn for anything other than live sports.

it'd be fun to see how fields/lawrence would be viewed if in their last bowl matchup you switched their jerseys and fields stunk up the joint and Lawrence had an all time performance like fields did.

for whatever reason, people have been taking shots at fields ever since he transferred out of georgia...cause ya know, he couldn't beat out Fromm nor could he handle the pressure of playing in the SEC.
2735123, Ja'Maar Chase, Jaylen Waddle or DeVonta Smith?
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-07-21 06:10 PM
this will probably be debated for a long time
2735131, RE: Ja'Maar Chase, Jaylen Waddle or DeVonta Smith?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-07-21 06:50 PM
Depends what you want in a receiver and how scared you are of Smith's size/frame
2735133, what are their differences to you?
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-07-21 07:13 PM
2735139, RE: what are their differences to you?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-07-21 10:55 PM
Chase is the pick on paper, but he didn't play last year. Theoretically he checks every box that GMs are looking at speed/size combination, hands, route running, contested catches, and would be the obvious safe pick if not for the opt out.

Waddle is the most explosive. Not that that is his only trait but that is what sets him apart for me.

Smith is the best pure receivers i terms of a combination of polished route running, hands, speed and playmaking. but his size/frame is puts him in a category that hasn't found much success as a #1 in the NFL.
2735145, would you rather have one of those three, or Kyle Pitts?
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-08-21 10:56 AM
I think people have forgot how explosive Waddle is; his burst to top speed is already NFL elite
2735151, was reading this morning that Jerry Jones...
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Apr-08-21 01:17 PM
is apparently, "infatuated" with Kyle Pitts. No way he makes it til 10 and we have Oline and defensive backfield needs (Patrick Surtain)....but, I would NOT be hurt if we ended up with Pitts.
2735160, Cowboys ain't winning nothing with McCarthy
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-08-21 03:46 PM
might as well have fun

of course, McCarthy would probably have Pitts block and run pivot routes all game

(Dallas should really sit at 10 and get a lineman or even trade down)
2735176, RE: would you rather have one of those three, or Kyle Pitts?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Thu Apr-08-21 11:56 PM
Depends what team I have.

As a Bears fan, in the unlikely event my team had that pick, would want Chase just because I am tired of the gamble & miss drafting history of our current GM.
I also feel like Pitts, Allen Robinson, Cole Kmet and Javon Wims would be the slowest group of receivers in the league.

If I was, lets say, the Packers…the pick is definitely Pitts. They haven't had anyone like that since JErmichael Finley and with their style of play, ability to scheme for multiple tight ends, running game and speed on the outside (MVS, Adams, St. Brown is not slow) they could really kill you in the matchup game

If I have the Saints, I want Waddle. This is a team that needs to start going down the field once Winston becomes the starter. Also could be a devastating weapon in the screen game, which Payton is a master of. And you have other people to move the chains (Thomas, Kamara, Hill)
2735208, Pitts or Waddle. I think they will all be good
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Apr-09-21 04:20 PM
but Kyle Pitts look like one of those that they broke the mold when they made him
2735124, these agent videos of 40 times are hilarious
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-07-21 06:13 PM
there's one where the video skips 5 frames and he is instantly in his stride -- of course it is "clocked" at 4.3
2735126, what does Mac Jones do that makes him special in the NFL
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-07-21 06:15 PM
2735130, RE: what does Mac Jones do that makes him special in the NFL
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-07-21 06:49 PM
Nothing.

He looks like Andy Dalton with a less powerful arm.

Would be an absolute shock if he was drafted ahead of Fields
2735136, I *really* don’t get this either.
Posted by dillinjah, Wed Apr-07-21 08:42 PM
Honestly, what’s the difference between him and trask? And that’s not to suggest I think trask will excel in the league, as both will be Fitzpatrick at best
2735141, Wasn’t high on Tua last draft and even less impressed with Jones
Posted by calij81, Thu Apr-08-21 12:21 AM
I wouldn’t take any Bama QB in the first round. Jones is a taller but slightly less athletic Tua.
2735142, Get sunburned
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Apr-08-21 07:30 AM
2735163, ill bite on this but just a nibble
Posted by HecticHavoc, Thu Apr-08-21 04:21 PM
im not going to try and guarantee anything - but its not like his numbers suck.

what makes him not worth the 1st round talk?
2735174, we know college stats don't translate
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-08-21 10:32 PM
lots of quarterbacks have great numbers every year.

at any given time, 10 NFL teams are looking to replace their quarterback, 12 are not sure yet, and 10 are set with franchise guys.

what does Jones do that makes him break into the top third? because that is what you draft a quarterback in the first round for.
2735184, i saw ~95% of his snaps the last 2 years. absolutely nothing.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Apr-09-21 09:15 AM
not to say he's terrible. but he's just a dude. they scaled it back so much from the Tua era, to great success.
2735146, good year to get an offensive lineman
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-08-21 10:58 AM
2735162, Chargers will probably take Pitts if he falls to them at 13
Posted by calij81, Thu Apr-08-21 04:08 PM
But that probably won’t happen. They will probably end up going OL or DB with their first round pick.

Hopefully Derwin James can stay healthy this season.
2735181, Far fetched. If Falcons don’t trade 4, they should take Pitts
Posted by Tiger Woods, Fri Apr-09-21 08:27 AM
If the Falcons put Pitts, Ridley, Julio on the field at the same time they’re neck and neck with Tampa in the NFC offensive arms race.

Atlanta should probably trade back and go heavy on defense though
2735164, I was reminded that Mitch Tribusky went 2nd and Pat Mahomes went 10...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Apr-08-21 04:24 PM
went 10.

A year later Lamar Jackson was the 5th QB selected and last pick in the first round after people like Josh Rosen who I believe is out of the league.

I bet none of these "experts" want to talk about their that.
2735167, RE: I was reminded that Mitch Tribusky went 2nd and Pat Mahomes went 10...
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Thu Apr-08-21 06:50 PM
Those picks made some sense at the time.

Trading up for Trubisky was Pace's extra special stupid but people thought they say Carson Wentz in Trubisky…which, it turns out they might've been right!

Watson was the safe pick. But Pace is always making stupid gambles, so he wasn't interested. The GM is not only a gambler but a very bad one, that's why the Bears are in such dire straits.

Mahomes was the wild card because of the system he played in and his tendency for forcing the ball/ugly turnovers. But everyone saw that his ceiling was limitless as far as arm strength + mobility + playmaking. If not for the Cutler comparisons, I bet Pace picks Mahomes.
2735180, The Trubisky pick made no sense at all at the time
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 06:53 AM
everyone was like WTF?

Bears moved up when no one in the world wanted Trubisky and he only started one year and wasn’t all that impressive.

He was just tall and white.

One of the best example of whiteness was on display when they outbid themselves for a stiff.
2735183, RE: The Trubisky pick made no sense at all at the time
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Fri Apr-09-21 08:58 AM
>everyone was like WTF?
>
>Bears moved up when no one in the world wanted Trubisky and he
>only started one year and wasn’t all that impressive.
>
>He was just tall and white.
>
>One of the best example of whiteness was on display when they
>outbid themselves for a stiff.

This is just just false. Plain and simple. And that is coming from someone who didn't like the pick from the jump.

Trading up is what the Bears GM does. He is dumb. He does it all the time and with terrible results. But the idea that nobody wanted Trubisky is just plain false.

Watson was the safe pick based on college production and body of work.

Mahomes and Trubisky were the "upside" picks. Trubisky had one year of production but the numbers were crazy, the arm strength and mobility were both good and yes he was tall and white. Mahomes was a boom or bust pick who had all the upside in the world but people also didn't like the system he was coming from, or his penchant for throwing into traffic.

This is just facts. And with Carson Wentz putting up MVP numbers in the league fresh out of North Dakota, people were looking at upside and Pace decided that was where he was putting his chips.

He was wrong and I never liked the pick (and hated the trade up) but the idea that Trubisky was not a highly rated prospect is ridiculous. His problem is that he is just not able to process at the NFL level. The physical tools were there, the willingness to work was there, has the right attitude, just not smart enough.
2735187, This is 100 percent incorrect.
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-09-21 10:38 AM
Trubisky was a high prospect on everyone’s board, rated
over Watson and Mahomes.

Almost every scout had him in that position. Some even had him going number
1. So there was no surprise when he got drafted by the bears, and that he was
a high draft pick. Hell, some scouts wanted the Browns to select him as the first
pick.

This is why I don’t really blame Ryan Pace for the pick, because Trubisky was
praised by all prior to being drafted, so Pace was just following the scouts.

After Trubisky’s performance in the Sun Bowl, he blew up tremendously.

2735188, it must be real hard to be a Bears fan
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 10:48 AM
and lie to yourself like this.

no one was going to draft that stiff that early.

his stats weren’t insane

just because your GM is an idiot doesn’t mean the move was less dumb.

I live in Carolina and watched Trubisky in college.. he wasn’t anything special.
2735190, Here is the mock draft from that year.
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-09-21 11:03 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705508-nfl-draft-2017-predictions-for-mitchell-trubisky-and-most-buzzworthy-prospects

Mitch was rated to be the first QB selected at number 6
by the Jets. The bears was slated to select a defensive player,
but Trubisky was rated as a cant miss prospect, so they decided to go
with Trubisky.

I love being a bears fan. Two PO appearances in the past three years,
great defensive and offensive talent, just gotta get the QB situation right.

At worst my team is a wild card team, just like last season.
2735192, when Trubisky was drafted the reaction wasn’t calm and expected
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 11:19 AM
it was shock and wtf.

one of the worst moves ever by a GM.
2735195, RE: when Trubisky was drafted the reaction wasn’t calm and expected
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Fri Apr-09-21 11:24 AM
That is only because they traded up. But you never know what you are talking about when football is involved
2735196, lmao... ok Mitch
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 11:30 AM
2735198, RE: lmao... ok Mitch
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Fri Apr-09-21 12:03 PM
>
But that is actual reality, Chicago TRADING UP was a shock.

And stupid as hell.

But Mitch Trubisky being the first QB off the board was a distinct possibility and everyone knew it. Depending what you were looking for, it was going to be him or Watson first.

2735189, Why do people keep saying this?
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-09-21 10:48 AM
Is it revisionism?

Trubisky was rated higher than Mahomes and Watson, and some felt the Browns
should have taken him at number 1. That was the analysis.

It had nothing to with Ryan Pace being a gambler. He was following scouts.
Actually Ryan Pace has made some outstanding draft picks over the years.

And when the bears went 12-4, and appeared to be super bowl bound, everyone
was praising the bears and Trubisky. It wasn’t until the following year, when the
chiefs won the SB that people started to slam the pick.

Darnell Mooney, Jaylon Johnson, David Montgomery, Roquin Smith...are just some
Of the examples of pace’s ability to draft. Excellent picks.

And throw in Eddie Jackson and Tariq Cohen ....and Cole Kmet looks
like he is going to be a stud TE.

The bears have been to the PO twice out of the past 3 years, with one of the
best defenses in the league, and solid offensive weapons. Pace deserves some
Credit for that.
2735191, and that analysis was built on racism
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 11:17 AM
how in the fuck was Trubisky rated higher that a QB who went to 2 national championship games and had almost 900+ yards of production and 8 TDs vs Bama?

FOH..

The fact that he was “rated” higher is laughable. That is whiteness on display and typical old school GM thinking when they see a big white dude with an arm.

Mahomes and Watson completed over 1200 passes each in their college career. Trubisky completed 520.

UNC went 8-5 in Trubisky’s only year as a starter. Not special at all. Your GM said wvery time Mitch entered the game as a back up he gave the team a spark. He sat behind a QB for 2 years who wasn’t drafted.

The reality is your GM made one of these worst picks ever. If Watson had Trubisky’s size and one year with those stats he would be selling insurance in Chapel Hill.
2735193, I don’t know what it was built off of.
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-09-21 11:22 AM
I was just correcting his statement on Pace being a gambler
and gambling on Trubisky, when he was the highest rated QB
on the board.

And considering what Deshaun is going through now, shit,
maybe Pace dodged a bullet...and it was the safe pick.

I never get upset over drafting , because we have no idea what these players
will be.

Watson was a highly rated QB also, just under Trubisky...so it wasn’t
like he was treated like crap or disregarded.

2735197, ha.. I knew you would being up Watsons legal problems
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 11:34 AM
but that has nothing to do with the draft or his first 4 years vs Mitch’s.

As a Steeler fan I see people justify bad picks we made in the first round.. but the reality is those were just shitty picks.

The worst thing about using mock drafts and Kiper and them is these dudes are the vert reason average white QB’s end up being overdrafted.

I wouldn’t be shocked if these agents are sliding these dudes money to hype these guys up. Why in the world do you move up to 2? Just take Watson. He had the film, stats, etc. I wasn’t sold on Mahomes so I’m not even suggesting he was disrespected but Watson?

We see white QB’s make 1 championship game and scouts and draft hounds have them first.. but Watson does it 2 consecutive years and he’s a risk?

2735194, RE: Why do people keep saying this?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Fri Apr-09-21 11:22 AM
>Is it revisionism?

Yes it's revisionism

>
>Trubisky was rated higher than Mahomes and Watson, and some
>felt the Browns
>should have taken him at number 1. That was the analysis.

Now you are revising the opposite way. There was no CLEAR consensus on a #1 but Trubisky and Watson were both GENERALLY rated above Mahomes.

>
>It had nothing to with Ryan Pace being a gambler. He was
>following scouts.

He is a gambler. There was no need to trade up. If Trubisky doesn't fall to you take the one who does. This was not a situation like Trevor Lawrence this year.

>Actually Ryan Pace has made some outstanding draft picks over
>the years.

He has a couple good picks but he has wasted a ton of draft capital trading up. And his biggest picks have been a mix of spectacular busts and just bad picks for that position

1st rounders

Kevin White- 7th overall Epic bust
Trubisky- 2nd overall Bust
Leonard Floyd- 9th overall 18 sacks in 4 years, solid player but bad pick at #9
Roquan Smith- 8th overall Very good inside linebacker, not ideal position at 8th overall but good player, happy to have him compared to rest of this list

Second rounders

E. Goldman- very good nose tackle
Cody Whitehair- solid interior lineman, looked like he might be an impact player but ended up just being fairly good.
A. Shaheen- Bust
James Daniels- Okay interior lineman, inconsistent.
A. Miller- Very inconsistent wideout Pace traded up to get and now is probably getting cut because they can't find a trade partner. If he is traded it will be for a 4th or 5th at best.

That is not a good track record in the first two rounds, I don't care what spinning anyone wants to do.

>
>And when the bears went 12-4, and appeared to be super bowl
>bound, everyone
>was praising the bears and Trubisky. It wasn’t until the
>following year, when the
>chiefs won the SB that people started to slam the pick.

Trubisky was carried by the defense. Also, yeah when the QB does okay l out the gate fails to develop, people will slam the pick. What else would you expect?

>
>Darnell Mooney, Jaylon Johnson, David Montgomery, Roquin
>Smith...are just some
>Of the examples of pace’s ability to draft. Excellent
>picks.

In a vacuum?? I'm not sure there is any planet where you could look at PAce's draft results over 7 years and say this guy is doing a good job with the draft.

>
>And throw in Eddie Jackson and Tariq Cohen ....and Cole Kmet
>looks
>like he is going to be a stud TE.

You are just making shit up now. Or you don't watch the games. Eddie Jackson has been garbage for two years in a row. If they could cut him and get out from under that ridiculous contract Pace gave him, they would.

Tariq Cohen is a player I like a lot. But you are talking about a gadget running back/receiver, not Tyreek Hill. And he tore his ACL last year.

Cole Kmet looked like he could be a solid player. I hope so. But he didn't do anything to blow anyone away last year. He looked like exactly what he was advertised as; a olid chain mover with athletic limitations and good hands.

>The bears have been to the PO twice out of the past 3 years,
>with one of the
>best defenses in the league, and solid offensive weapons.
>Pace deserves some
>Credit for that.

He should have been fired and everyone knows it. The Bears are going nowhere. They only made the PO because of expanded format. He blew all their biggest picks. His free agency moves and contracts have been bad and he has muffed every shot at the most important position since the day he walked in the door and dumped Jay to give Mike Glennon a massive contract. He also selected Matt Nagy, the offensive genius who has us at the bottom of the offense in the league, year in and year out.

So yeah, he deserves credit for building a barely middling team that has no QB and is in cap hell.
2735199, You’re contradicting yourself.
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-09-21 12:14 PM
You say Trubisky was carried by a great defense, but then say
pace’s draft history is not very good, but Pace built that defense!

lol

And the fact you question the picks of Leonard Floyd and Smith
is crazy. Leonard Floyd just had 10.5 sacks for the rams and cashed
in on a new 64 million contract!

Smith should have been a pro bowler, and beyond good, stats showed
that he was the bears best defensive player last season hands down.

Miller had a good rookie season and was pegged by all to be the next best thing.
It just didn’t happen last season, maybe it was due to the pandemic or whatever,
but the verdict is still out. This is just his third season.

The bears have had a top ten defense for the past three years, and that
was due to some of the work by Pace. And again, we had a 12-4 season,
and have been to the PO in the past 2 out of 3 years. A lot of teams can’t say that.

And one of the main reasons why the bears didn’t advance in the PO is because
Darnell Mooney and Roquan Smith we’re out injured. Mooney our best offensive
play maker and Smith our best defensive playmaker .....drafted by Pace!

And how the hell can you diss Eddie Jackson? He considered a steal of a draft pick!
His number are ridiculous for his draft position. Are you watching games??

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/08/bears-news-eddie-jackson-nfl-draft-steal/

“Jackson exploded onto the scene in his first two seasons, where he totaled eight interceptions — including six in 2018 — and scored five defensive touchdowns.

Since joining the league in 2017, Jackson has totaled 31 pass break-ups, 10 interceptions, six defensive touchdowns, 266 tackles and six fumble recoveries.

“He’s a game-changer. He’s a game-wrecker,” Bears cornerback Desmond Trufant said.

While Jackson has experienced a bit of a drop-off over the last season, he remains a top safety in the league. With new defensive coordinator Sean Desai expected to bring some of Vic Fangio’s defense back to the forefront, we could be in for a bounce-back season from Jackson.”

You are way off and over the top. And no Ryan Pace shouldn’t be fired.

2735202, RE: You’re contradicting yourself.
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Fri Apr-09-21 01:29 PM
>You say Trubisky was carried by a great defense, but then
>say
>pace’s draft history is not very good, but Pace built that
>defense!

Not in the draft, he didn't. Of there 11 starters on D

Kyle Fuller
Khalil Mack
Hicks
Trevathan
Amos
Amukamara

Were all on the team when he got here or acquired as free agents/trades. That's also 3 of their four probowlers on defense. The other was Eddie Jackson who excelled that year but has turned out to be pretty bad.

>
>lol
>
>And the fact you question the picks of Leonard Floyd and
>Smith
>is crazy. Leonard Floyd just had 10.5 sacks for the rams and
>cashed
>in on a new 64 million contract!

HOW DOES 10.5 sacks for the RAMS help the Bears?? Is Ryan Pace the Rams GM? In Chicago he started for four years and got 18.5 sacks. PERIOD. And this is while playing across from Khalil Mack and next to Akiem Hicks! All that really needs to be said is the Bears did not even attempt to keep him after drafting him that early. Clearly THEY did not think he panned out. Insult to injury, instead the genius Ryan Pace gave 30 mill to washed up Robert Quinn.

>
>Smith should have been a pro bowler, and beyond good, stats
>showed
>that he was the bears best defensive player last season hands
>down.

Still Mack but he is a very good player, no one is debating that.

Ryan Pace has drafted terribly and especially badly with his early picks. One inside linebacker won't change that.

>
>Miller had a good rookie season and was pegged by all to be
>the next best thing.
>It just didn’t happen last season, maybe it was due to the
>pandemic or whatever,
>but the verdict is still out. This is just his third season.

They are actively trying to trade him, and if they don't get any takers, he will be cut. Stop.

>
>The bears have had a top ten defense for the past three years,
>and that
>was due to some of the work by Pace. And again, we had a 12-4
>season,
>and have been to the PO in the past 2 out of 3 years. A lot of
>teams can’t say that.

There is not one GM in the league that envies the Bears situation right now. Not even the Jets would trade places.

>
>And one of the main reasons why the bears didn’t advance in
>the PO is because
>Darnell Mooney and Roquan Smith we’re out injured. Mooney
>our best offensive
>play maker and Smith our best defensive playmaker .....drafted
>by Pace!

Our best offensive playmaker is a rookie 5th round slot receiver? Are you hearing yourself?

>
>And how the hell can you diss Eddie Jackson? He considered a
>steal of a draft pick!
>His number are ridiculous for his draft position. Are you
>watching games??
>
>https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2021/04/08/bears-news-eddie-jackson-nfl-draft-steal/
>
>“Jackson exploded onto the scene in his first two seasons,
>where he totaled eight interceptions — including six in 2018
>— and scored five defensive touchdowns.
>
>Since joining the league in 2017, Jackson has totaled 31 pass
>break-ups, 10 interceptions, six defensive touchdowns, 266
>tackles and six fumble recoveries.
>
>“He’s a game-changer. He’s a game-wrecker,” Bears
>cornerback Desmond Trufant said.
>
>While Jackson has experienced a bit of a drop-off over the
>last season, he remains a top safety in the league. With new
>defensive coordinator Sean Desai expected to bring some of Vic
>Fangio’s defense back to the forefront, we could be in for a
>bounce-back season from Jackson.”

Eddie Jackson had 8 interceptions in his first two years

He got a mega contract and has managed 2 TOTALl interceptions since. His tackling has been awful, he has been beaten repeatedly in coverage and would be getting cut if not for that aforementioned new contract

>
>
>You are way off and over the top. And no Ryan Pace shouldn’t
>be fired.
>

He definitely should have been and will be unemployed after this upcoming year. His seat is on fire.
2735205, we agree to disagree
Posted by allStah, Fri Apr-09-21 02:23 PM
You obviously hate Ryan Pace, and refuse to give him credit.

Anyway, from one bears fan to another, let’s have a great season.

2735207, lmao
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Apr-09-21 04:06 PM
2735396, RE: we agree to disagree
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Apr-12-21 10:07 PM
>You obviously hate Ryan Pace, and refuse to give him credit.

I understand why you are just ignoring that post

He is a bad GM

The Bears have won one playoff game since he got here and will probably be back in a rebuild after him and Nagy get fired this year.
2735200, it was a poor rating to have Trubisky above Watson to begin w/
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Apr-09-21 12:19 PM
2735203, and I left off Deshaun was 12th
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Apr-09-21 01:51 PM
2735182, I'm guessing Slovis will be next years overly hyped white qb
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Apr-09-21 08:32 AM
who will do fuck all in the pros
2735186, Sam Howell
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Apr-09-21 09:59 AM
unlike w/ Trubisky you wont see us Carolina fans wondering why he even came out, let alone someone drafting him 1st
he's the real deal.
2735201, You think so? He benefited from those 2 RBs about to be drafted
Posted by dillinjah, Fri Apr-09-21 01:14 PM
>unlike w/ Trubisky you wont see us Carolina fans wondering
>why he even came out, let alone someone drafting him 1st
>he's the real deal.

2735223, absolutely. im excited for him to show it too
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Apr-10-21 11:27 AM
because thats the only thing you can ding him on. expect him to get about 40 TDs this year and maybe some heisman buzz if the rest of the team does their job (defense, and adjusting the offensive scheme to fit our new balance). i know Sam will do his. love how the kid reads the whole field and has from Day 1.
2735210, anybody actually watch Trey Lance play?
Posted by will_5198, Fri Apr-09-21 09:43 PM
2735217, No, what do you think of him?
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat Apr-10-21 08:06 AM
2735219, I hadn't watched him either
Posted by will_5198, Sat Apr-10-21 08:24 AM
actually haven't watched most prospects this year

his skill-set seems fantastic and he's super young (about to be 21) but I hate that he only started 16 games

hopefully he goes to a team that can really develop quarterbacks -- ideally he would be able to "redshirt" a year in the NFL but it figures he will be picked too high for that
2735402, how they have these guys over Fields is baffling to me
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Apr-13-21 08:17 AM
2735211, bad year to draft a defensive lineman
Posted by will_5198, Fri Apr-09-21 09:44 PM
2735212, specifically DT
Posted by will_5198, Fri Apr-09-21 09:47 PM
there are edge guys with tools who are going to capitalize on their potential or become huge busts

but inside looks bleak
2735228, RE: specifically DT
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Sat Apr-10-21 02:07 PM
Let's name names on the edge guys.

Who will be better Paye or Rousseau?
2735242, I don't like either
Posted by will_5198, Sat Apr-10-21 08:53 PM
>Who will be better Paye or Rousseau?

I'm completely out on Rousseau. most of his production in 2019 is not transferrable to the NFL (effort sacks, free runs, cross-facing an OG while slanted inside on passing downs). he tested average and is not explosive or a turn the corner threat. wouldn't touch him with a top 64 pick at all.

so I guess Paye will be better by default. he has movement skills and shows stack-and-shed ability with upside. he's twitchy for his size so you figure a NFL position coach could get more out of him. but I don't see him as an edge threat that is going to flirt with double-digit sacks every season. I wouldn't want to be the GM taking him in the first round.
2735385, RE: I don't like either
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Apr-12-21 08:06 PM
Who do you like?

Rousseau's Pro Day #s look a lot like JPP but I am not going to argue because apparently most scouts/observers agree with you.

What about Gross Matos?
2735391, nobody enough to feel strongly about
Posted by will_5198, Mon Apr-12-21 09:30 PM
and like I said before, I haven't watched this class like usual years so this is very casually informed based on watching the in-season games only (don't have a full opinion on the Payton Turners and so on).

but...

Jayson Oweh (who I'm assuming you meant, funnily enough I thought Gross-Matos was another Penn State DE that never was as dominant as he looked) has some pretty rare traits but his leverage is junk and he can't get off blocks cleanly right now due to bad hands.

which is coachable in theory -- but man, how much coaching does it take to get a clean jump off the snap? I fear his workout is going to garner a big price in this thin class, and you may hit big on him or you may be paying for a Marcus Davenport-esque tease.

Jaelen Phillips also had a nice workout and I like him better than Rousseau, but he seems light in the ass and his upside is more of a "starter" to me. fair or not, the fact he already retired from football once will give plenty of organizations pause.

wait. Azeez Ojulari is about the only eligible prospect that stands out to me from last season. maybe SEC bias but I thought he was damn good last year and unlike most of these projects, he actually shows innate pass rushing skill. too bad he doesn't have the frame or great testing numbers, but at least he has actual in-game performances.
2735403, anyone else think the Detroit/Carolina part of the draft is the bullseye?
Posted by Tiger Woods, Tue Apr-13-21 08:42 AM
I still think there will be two QBs there still - probably Justin Fields and Trey Lance at least.

Does Denver get involved? Does New England finally buck tradition and go for it? Does Washington get in the mix? Would Carolina take a QB even with having traded for Darnold?
2735501, has there ever been a black Mac Jones? an unathletic black dude that...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-14-21 09:19 AM
had all the "intangible" to be great QB and just needed to be surrounded by talent in a great system to be great?
2735503, I thought EJ Manuel would be that
Posted by Tiger Woods, Wed Apr-14-21 09:29 AM
2735539, I don't think Rex Ryan ever gave him a chance
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-14-21 03:11 PM
2735637, RE: I thought EJ Manuel would be that
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Thu Apr-15-21 04:22 PM
He was garbage
2735506, Teddy?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-14-21 09:48 AM
2735535, Teddy was and is light years better than Mac Jones and was drafted 32nd
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-14-21 03:01 PM
2735565, RE: Teddy?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Wed Apr-14-21 10:30 PM
Bridgewater's career really has been disappointing.

Used to think there would be a comeback after the injury but there wasn't
2735581, dude almost lost his leg, he doesn't get the hype of Alex Smith but its...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Apr-15-21 08:35 AM
a miracle both of those dudes are walking let alone playing football.
2735508, Leftwich? He did have a better arm than Jones
Posted by dillinjah, Wed Apr-14-21 10:20 AM
2735511, Leftwich was the first guy I thought of too
Posted by GOMEZ, Wed Apr-14-21 10:48 AM
2735537, RE: Leftwich? He did have a better arm than Jones
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-14-21 03:02 PM
he did
2735548, JaMarcus Russell?
Posted by calij81, Wed Apr-14-21 04:33 PM
2735553, JaMarcus had everything BUT "intangibles" his arm was a cannon
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-14-21 07:18 PM
2735563, No doubt he had a cannon of an arm
Posted by calij81, Wed Apr-14-21 10:05 PM
I haven’t seen enough of Mac Jones to know how his arm strength.
2735582, Mac's arm is below average, it showed at his pro day
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Apr-15-21 08:36 AM
2735558, Jacoby Brissett
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-14-21 09:35 PM
2735560, David Garrard
Posted by will_5198, Wed Apr-14-21 09:51 PM
2735564, This is the right answer
Posted by dillinjah, Wed Apr-14-21 10:06 PM
2735588, he was a 4th rounder after a Pro Bowl yr lost his job to Blaine Gabbert...
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Apr-15-21 09:34 AM
who has done nothing in the league but be tall and white with blond hair but somehow lucked his way into a ring last year hold Brady's iPad
2735554, man who did Fields piss of at ESPN
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Apr-14-21 07:23 PM
https://twitter.com/JEPopeIV/status/1382468979416006656

they arent even trying anymore w/ the agenda on him
2735557, Mort needs to retire NOW
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-14-21 09:24 PM
2735600, That Mort clip is BEYOND bullshit, but the TOSU offense causes concern
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Apr-15-21 10:13 AM
Chris Cooley does a great job here in DC on the “The Kevin Sheehan podcast” breaking down film and grading players. He says often that the Ohio State offense makes it tough to evaluate QBs because it’s a one-read system that’s loaded with athletes at every skill position. Cooley was ADAMANT that Haskins was going to suck ... he was right. He’s much more optimistic on Fields because of his physical tools, but Cooley suspects that Fields’ slide is the result of coaches watching the tape more closely and noticing that while he’s a hell of an athlete he isn’t asked to think much once the ball is snapped.
2735611, that sounds like...most college offenses
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-15-21 11:17 AM
>says often that the Ohio State offense makes it tough to
>evaluate QBs because it’s a one-read system that’s loaded
>with athletes at every skill position. Cooley was ADAMANT that
>Haskins was going to suck ... he was right.

Haskins sucking is due to his lack of pocket presence (which was evident in college -- go watch his Purdue game) and toxic circle/attitude. dude was an arm talent but not much else (which sounds like a lot of overdrafted white quarterbacks that have failed). it's not really a referendum on an offensive system.

how many reads do you think Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts were making? Lincoln Riley is a savant who designs his offenses to be EASY for quarterbacks, based on creative mismatches and lots of manipulation in the run game (helps OU always has a dominant OL and great backs). bama runs RPOs all day and had the most stacked offensive personnel in the country the last two years.

Zach Wilson had a great offensive line, half his highlight plays are him sitting on one read and scrambling for 7 seconds, and he played one ranked team last season and sucked.

the idea Fields should be downgraded because Ryan Day is a smart coach is dumb at best and more likely pretty racist.

>optimistic on Fields because of his physical tools, but Cooley
>suspects that Fields’ slide is the result of coaches
>watching the tape more closely and noticing that while he’s
>a hell of an athlete he isn’t asked to think much once the
>ball is snapped.

Fields' slide has only been "reported" in the media. based on flimsier and flimsier reasons (baseball throwing motion). we will see where he is actually drafted by the NFL decision-makers.
2735613, I’m just relaying what I’ve heard. I’d draft Fields in a heartbeat
Posted by Tiger Woods, Thu Apr-15-21 11:24 AM
Best QB performance I saw year was Fields vs Clemson
2735642, word up
Posted by 3xKrazy, Thu Apr-15-21 04:52 PM
>Best QB performance I saw year was Fields vs Clemson
2735601, I feel embarrassed for Mort..
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Apr-15-21 10:16 AM
whether these are his actual thoughts...or a producer is pushing him. He sounds ridiculous.
2735606, Justin Fields did what Russy and Mahomes did - cause for concern
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Apr-15-21 10:58 AM
Russ actually went to spring training w/the Yankees while he was a Seahawk. I have no idea if Fields is gonna be great or not, but Mort should have to go on air and slap himself for this shitty take.
2735608, right...shit, Kyler Murray was out here playing the spring before the draft
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Apr-15-21 11:07 AM
...and well enough to get a contact offer from Oakland.
2735615, arguably baseball actually contributes to their ability to make throws
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Apr-15-21 11:30 AM
which makes the take extra dumb.
2735616, They didn't do this to Aaron Rodgers. But he slid. And he should have.
Posted by blueeclipse, Thu Apr-15-21 11:46 AM
So when Aaron Rodgers slid......no one wanted to mention that it was because he played for Jeff Tedford and his QB's had been doo doo in the NFL up to that point. Rodgers very well could have ended up just like that had he not landed with GB and Mike McCarthy.

When Rodgers got to the NFL he was releasing the ball by his ear and his mechanics needed alot of work. McCarthy got 3 years to break him down and remake him and because Rodgers was such a great piece of clay to work with he turned into a HOFer.

Look at what happened with Steve Young and Steve McNair.

Fields is almost exactly this kind of case. He needs to go somewhere with someone who can work with him and he needs probably a year to sit. It would almost be best for him to slide to a team and sit behind a vet for a year or two like Mahomes.

What they're doing to him in the media is ridiculous and it's this kind of narrative that lets you know who's still pulling strings out there.

2735628, NFL.com just mocked Fields to Pittsburgh at #24
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-15-21 03:11 PM
the idea that Denver (9), New England (15) and Chicago (20) would all pass on Fields is truly out there
2735630, I'm astonished by this...
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Apr-15-21 03:20 PM
even with racism at play. Someone on ESPN said this morning...one of the insiders...that the prevailing thought is still that SF will take Mack Jones at 3. I don't EVEN proclaim to be a draft guy or even a big college football guy...but, on what planet is Jones better in that spot than Fields...with Shanahan calling plays??? Kittle, Samuel, Aiyuk, Mostert, Fields...
2735639, RE: NFL.com just mocked Fields to Pittsburgh at #24
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Thu Apr-15-21 04:25 PM
But this is just people ginning up clicks

There is no one who ACTUALLY thinks that will happen unless everyone knows that he is Aaron Henandez and somehow it's not leaking out.

Fields will be the second or third QB off the board. He certainly will not make it to #20.
2735643, I’m pretty sure agents are paying these dudes to shit on these QB’s
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Apr-15-21 04:52 PM
A friend of mine was drafted by Tampa back in the day when Dilfer was there...

He was the FAMU QB and said he was showing out in camp and Tampa’s coaches shut it down. Pretty much took the ball out of his hands and made him hit the showers early.

Can’t think of any other reason to see these dudes try and damage a kids draft stock like this.. besides racism of course.
2735662, i think its accepted as an unspoken reality at espn.
Posted by Reeq, Fri Apr-16-21 02:26 AM
you have various white analysts who are in on the con. then you have black analysts like marcus spears and desmond howard who obviously havent been given the assignment and basically roll their eyes and laugh in these other dudes faces.

mike tannenbaum is nothing more than a hired gun who does pr for whatever qb(s) hes paid to promote. his 'analysis' is barely even based on reality anymore.

not draft related...but mel kiper was still yelling indignantly about how the eagles were carson wentz team...literally until the day he got shipped out. you cant tell me he didnt have some financial stake in there somewhere.

i think johnny manziel kinda blew the lid off whatever scheme is being run between these experts and the agents. dude was pretty much coming up mediocre to bad on every metric but hand size (which nobody ever really cared about) and 'it factor' (which is laughably subjective). so thats all these white analysts keyed in on to sell him.

dude was physically and mentally limited. serious character issues all throughout his career. was partying and wasnt even working hard *during* the pre draft process. and some experts still decided to make a mockery of themselves by acting like he was ready to play at an elite level. meanwhile a generationally talented black qb literally gets criticized for 'smiling wrong' and theyre talking about how much of a risk it is to take him before the 2nd round lol.
2735670, RE: i think its accepted as an unspoken reality at espn.
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Fri Apr-16-21 12:57 PM
I don't believe all this conspiracy shit.

24 hour sports news needs to generate clicks.

You work at sports outlet and want to move up in your job.

At a certain point you need to either find new lightning-rod talking points and scoops OR manufacture them based on hearsay of what someone else is hearsaying.

No one has to pass someone an envelope to promote Johnny Manziel. He was a walking headline, whatever opinion you posted. Also anything to do with the draft and QBs in the draft is gas on a fire.

The same rumor mill has Trey Lance suddenly going third or fourth when everyone knows he is a borderline prospect as an NFL QB. Because that's where the news is, that's where the focus is from NFL teams and fans. Notice how nobody bothers to stir up any controversy regarding running backs or off-the-ball linebacker anymore?

20 years ago Sewell would have been a lock for the second pick of the board and Micah Parsons would be one of the names that was generating a lot of controversy.
2735649, Who is considered the best QB coach/guru among the NFL coaches?
Posted by guru0509, Thu Apr-15-21 05:41 PM

(I dont really pay attention to football on Sundays anymore...the Lions/Kaep + MAGA saga have extinguished any passion I had for it)

I hope Justin Fields goes there.

I was never really a fan of his, but he's still the 2nd best QB in this draft after Trevor Lawrence, this slide is bizarre

2735660, I don’t think he slides to 32 but TB would be a great spot for him
Posted by calij81, Thu Apr-15-21 11:35 PM
He could sit behind Brady for a few years, be coached up by both Leftwich and Arians.
2735673, if he slides to 32 blow the whole nfl up lol
Posted by guru0509, Fri Apr-16-21 02:03 PM
>He could sit behind Brady for a few years, be coached up by
>both Leftwich and Arians.
2735661, fields now the heavy betting favorite to land with the niners
Posted by 3xKrazy, Fri Apr-16-21 12:30 AM
instead of jones.

fields' odds currently posted at -190.

2736153, Bucs signed AB to 1 year deal
Posted by go mack, Wed Apr-28-21 12:55 PM
entire band back together.

Panthers trading Teddy Bridgewater to Broncos for 6th round pick I just heard, seems cheap and a great move for Broncos.
2736157, Bridgewater traded to Denver?
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Apr-28-21 03:09 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/report-panthers-trade-qb-teddy-bridgewater-to-broncos-for-6th-round-pick-175247923.html
2736164, Can’t believe we only won 1 championship w all these first round picks
Posted by guru0509, Wed Apr-28-21 03:43 PM
Urban underachieved if we’re being completely honest with ourselves
2736165, Seeing and reading that the Niners narrowed their choice
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Apr-28-21 03:47 PM
and it’s between Mac Jones and Trey Lance.
2736168, Fields is better than both but if those are the options, Lance
Posted by calij81, Wed Apr-28-21 04:34 PM
Probably has more potential than Jones.
2736193, I don't understand the Mac Jones hype
Posted by The Real, Thu Apr-29-21 12:13 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2736191, can't wait
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-29-21 11:46 AM
the sizzling QB takes after tonight will last for years
2736192, A retired NFL player, a bizarre shooting and claims of CTE
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Apr-29-21 11:47 AM
(probably not the right place for this but I didn't want to make a new post and it seems like all other NFL posts are locked)
https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/nfl/2021/04/28/justin-bannan-cte-blame-shooting-attempted-murder-charge/7278071002/