Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectfor the record...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2734695&mesg_id=2736673
2736673, for the record...
Posted by Dstl1, Thu May-06-21 06:20 PM
I L-O-V-E Griffey Jr. 100% Stan. I've got Griffey posters, jerseys, tshirts that look like his baseball car, shoes, I was at the game when he hit his 600th homerun on Father's Day...with his pops in the stands. All that said, lol...his prime just was not as long as Albert's. Albert was absolute nails for basically, 11 seasons. Griff had some goofy numbers. He had a four season span where he missed hitting 50 homers in four consecutive season, by three home runs. They've both got some jaw-dropping slugging numbers. Albert was much better on-base guy. In the end, I personally think Albert just was better for longer and (this may matter to some, more or less than others) 2 WS rings and 3 MVPs is just tough...real tough. I won't bother with the gold gloves and silver slugger awards, cuz Griff got those, too.

One more Pujols anecdote that doesn't have shit to do with shit. The 2006 Cardinals were not a very good team. They won 83 games. We had So Taguchi as the starting LF...he was an everyday player. There was 32 year old, Scott Rolen (Scott was my guy). There was 36 year old Jim Edmonds. There was 31 year old David freakin Eckstein and a semi-washed Juan Encarnacion. What we did have, was Albert Pujols at the absolute peak of his powers. I was in Baghdad at this time. Watched as many games as I could. Albert starting out the season as hot as I'd ever seen him. He had 14 or 15 home runs in APRIL...just, April. May started out the same and then he injured his oblique. Missed a bunch of games. The Cardinals were flailing. Albert came back and carried the team through the summer and into the playoffs. He ended up hitting .331/49/137 with a .431 on base and .671 slug (WHAT?) Damn near swept the Padres, went 7 with the Mets (ending, of course with Waino locking Carlos Beltran up in the bottom of the 9th with the bases loaded) and damn near swept the Tigers in the WS. They don't even get to the post-season without Pujols.